PDA

View Full Version : Has any one tried these

Wally Wenzel
01-22-2009, 1:37 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my lathe from one that has a 3/4 by 16 tpi and #1 morse taper spindle to a 1x8 tpi and #2 mt. have any tried the adapters that allow you to use your #1 mt. and 3/4x16 accesories on the 1x8 and #2mt. I have a lot of acc. that would cost a bundle to replace if i do the upgrade. I know i can order a thread adapter for my talon chuck. Thanks guys, Wally

charlie knighton
01-22-2009, 2:03 PM
you might consider going to 1 1/4 x 8 and #2 morse taper...

never tried it, but a better size

Joshua Dinerstein
01-22-2009, 4:34 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my lathe from one that has a 3/4 by 16 tpi and #1 morse taper spindle to a 1x8 tpi and #2 mt. have any tried the adapters that allow you to use your #1 mt. and 3/4x16 accesories on the 1x8 and #2mt. I have a lot of acc. that would cost a bundle to replace if i do the upgrade. I know i can order a thread adapter for my talon chuck. Thanks guys, Wally

Yes. I have. I bought one from PennStateIndustries via amazon. I bought this one:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA1834.html

It is a 1x8tpi to 3/4x16tpi adapter. I paid at the time about $12 for it. I never had any trouble with it and everything worked great. I have over time replaced my accessories with either new internal adapters for chucks or just gotten new chucks.

One thing I would say is that you need to make sure the adapter has been well made. I got one, lucky perhaps or par for the course?!!?, and things ran true and I was able to turn for some time without any issues.

However I have read a few posts here were people have had problems with adapters not being true all in the themselves so the chuck can never be properly used.

As for an MT1 to MT2 taper adapter I didn't have to contend with that. So I fear I can't be of any help.

Joshua

robert hainstock
01-22-2009, 5:33 PM
I made that conversion years ago, and it worked out fine. Good luck. :)
Bob