PDA

View Full Version : Machine part supplier help please

Richard Dooling
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Does anyone have a machine parts supplier they can recommend? I need a small simple rack and pinion to replace a worn out set on an old Sprunger jointer outfeed table.

I have not had much luck with this and would rather not pay to have one custom made. I seems like it should be a readily available part somewhere??

Thanks

Chris Padilla
01-22-2009, 3:06 PM
Have you kicked the tires on OWWM (http://www.owwm.com)?

Dave Lehnert
01-22-2009, 3:13 PM
Not sure if they have what you need but take a look.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Gary Click
01-22-2009, 6:58 PM
Do you know how to measure the gears for Pressure Angle and Pitch? It may be that these can be purchased as stock gears. The Pressure Angle of the new gear and rack can be different than the old set BUT the PA of the gear and the rack must match. The Pitch must be the same to maintain the same ratio and pinion center to rack back dimension.

For the rack.

The PA is easy here, use your protractor or what ever you have that can accurately measure an angle and measure the angle of the straight gear flank to the top of the tooth. It is most likely to 14.5 deg or 20 deg. This is the pressure angle.

For the Pinion

The Pitch of the gear is taken from here. It is most likely a Diametral Pitch series. Measure the outside diameter of the pinion and count the number of teeth. Add 2 to the tooth count and divide by the outside diameter. Or if the pinion has 12 teeth and the OD is 1.400" add 2 teeth - 12+2 and divide by 1.400". The Diametrial Pitch is 10.

Or send it to me and I'll measure it for you.

gary

Richard Dooling
01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks Chris, Dave and Gary,

Chris, I am familiar with OWWM and just had not thought of putting out a feeler there. I have e-mailed a guy who did a pretty major restoration on on the same machine I have to see if he has any suggestions. I really have no hope of finding an exact replacement - just need functioning parts.

Dave, McMaster looks like they may very well be the supplier I have been looking for - great resource!

Gary, thanks for the technical info and especially the offer. I'll look this over this weekend. I do not have a machinist's background but the way you are describing the measurements seems pretty straight forward.

Gary, as a fellow American . . . well I hope that’s not your passport photo!

Thanks guys