PDA

View Full Version : Corel Crop Question

George M. Perzel
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Gang;
If you have a vector drawing- a map for example- and you crop it, Corel takes any vector line which is not totally within the cropped area and has been cut by the cropping and makes it a double line (closes the path).
Am I missing something?? Is there an option somewhere to just cut the lines at the cropping points?
I appreciate any help on this.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Stephen Beckham
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
George,

I'm not sure if this will help, because without converting it to a graphic or making nodes and breaking nodes, I've not been able to do it either to my satisfaction.

So what I've done in the past, instead of cropping, I've drawn a white box over the part I don't want and worked with what was left for etching or cutting. There's still some side-stepping you'll have to do if you want the vector line for cutting out the image, but you're right, it doesn't work the way I'd like for it to work...

Steve

Mike Mackenzie
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
George,

I am not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish, However if you draw a box around the area you want and then use the Virtual segment delete tool it will keep the vector lines as single lines and just trim them up to the box you draw. Then just delete the box.

Gary Hair
01-22-2009, 12:47 PM
George,
I use powerclip a lot and it may work better for you than cropping. The best thing about powerclip is you can interactively move and edit the contents.

Give it a try.

Gary

Frank Corker
01-22-2009, 6:35 PM
I'd go with Gary, powerclip would probably be the best thing. If you aren't too sure on powerclipping George, I was directed by Anthony Welch to Youtube post by Alexisgalvez - here is one on powerclipping
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OdcLfvrEoWs&feature=channel_page

George M. Perzel
01-23-2009, 8:01 AM
Thanks guys-appreciate the advice. I will try the Powerclip approach as well as Mike's segment delete method-sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

George M. Perzel
01-23-2009, 8:30 AM
Hi Guys;
I just tried the Powerclip approach. The resulting image cannot be ungrouped and none of the vector characteristics can be changed (line weight, color, position,etc.)
What am I missing? The original image was comprised of many individual vector lines and normal text. The Powerclip worked fine to select a portion of the original but Corel treats the result almost like a bitmap.
Comments please.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

George M. Perzel
01-23-2009, 9:09 AM
Hi Gang;
Just tried Mike's method using Virtual Delete tool- works fine but is tedious and text must be handled separately-better than the way I was doing it using Crop tool and redrawing doubled vector lines. Real solution is an option to the Crop tool -"Cut vector lines at crop point".
Thanks for help
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Richard Rumancik
01-23-2009, 9:45 AM
You might consider Oberon CurveWorks add-on.

http://www.oberonplace.com/products/curveworks/cut.htm

It can create nodes at all interesecting points. Costs $50.00 It also has several other tricks that Corel forgot to put into the program.

Richard Rumancik
01-23-2009, 6:44 PM
. . .I've drawn a white box over the part I don't want and worked with what was left for etching or cutting. . . .

I have used the "white box" method to hide raster engraving that I do not want marked, but does this work to hide vector lines on the Epilog as well? I didn't think it hides vector lines on the LaserPro but haven't tried it.

Stephen Beckham
01-23-2009, 8:28 PM
I have used on several occasions - the only issue is that you'll have use it in a combined print mode or it will ignore the white box - yes, done it a couple times.:rolleyes:

The other thing to note is that it will not place a vector line from the two end points where the white box covers. So you'll either have to draw an extra line in there if you're trying to cut an outline of the item.