PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Help

Jeff Hartman
01-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I recently stumbled upon this site by accident and for some reason, just can't leave. I have no equipment but would love to get into this wonderful hobby. There is too much information here for me to figure things out. I am going to try and sign up for a class at a store near me. My main concern right now is basically how much will it cost me to start this up? I am interested in turning pens and I guess I need a smaller lathe to start with. Can anybody give me a list of necessities and ballpark of what each one will cost me? I know that if I get into it, this hobby will become another money pit like my other hobbies. Just wondering what it will cost at the beginning. Thanks.

Neal Addy
01-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum.

I've always maintained that you *could* get started in woodturning for under $500 if you do good research and make good buying decisions up-front. You might have to DIY some items and be prepared to buy used but you could do it.

But, one warning about this hobby that I'm sure you already realize... it's addictive. You know the old adage, "buy cheap, buy twice".

The best advice you can get is to look into your local club. They're a great resource for new turners and can advise you on getting started right.

The absolute basics you need to get started are:

1) A lathe (obviously) - Minis are a good starting system but keep in mind that "swing is king" in turning. You'll probably be looking for bigger iron within a year or two. Still, most minis are VERY good lathes to learn on and you'll probably keep it when you upgrade. Don't sell them short because of the name. They are serious tools.
2) Safety equipment - A face shield and some kind of dust protection are a must! DON'T SKIP THESE!
3) A few basic tools - Start cheap until you learn how to sharpen. Go with at least the following:
- 3/8" or 1/2" spindle gouge
- 3/4" (or larger) spindle roughing gouge
- 3/4" (or larger) skew
- 3/16" (or smaller) parting tool
4) A sharpening system - You'll be sharpening very frequently so this is needed up-front. Most folks use a bench grinder with AO wheels (or better), some like more advanced tools such as the Tormek. A Wolverine sharpening jig is great for new turners using a bench grinder.

You'll eventually want a good chuck but don't worry about it yet unless you still have money to burn. You can start with a face plate and/or glue blocks until then.

For bowls you'll want to add a bowl gouge. Probably a scraper or two as well.

Then... for pens you'll need to add at least the following:

1) Mandrel
2) Pen kits
3) Bushings (to match your kits)
4) Drill bits (to match your kits)
5) Supplies - Glue(s), sanding supplies, finishing supplies, etc.
6) Pen assembly tools - A pipe clamp or bench vise works just fine.

A drill press makes things easier but you can find other ways to drill (such as on the lathe). If using a drill press you'll probably want some kind of pen vise. They're easy to DIY.

Cyril Griesbach
01-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Jeff, Here is a short list for pen turning with the most important item at the end.

Mini Lathe
Pen Mandrel
Pen kits and bushings
Pen Blanks
Friction Polish
Pen turning tool set (three tools)
CA glue
Sand paper
A sharpening system of some kind ie Oneway Wolverine with Vari Grind.

Complete pen turning supplies at Craft Supplies is Here:http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/catalog?Args=

There is also Packard Woodworks at : http://www.packardwoodworks.com/

And Woodcraft at: http://www.woodcraft.com/default.aspx

This will give you some pricing with little differences in cost between suppliers.

Now, Most important IMHO is to go to the AAW site and locate a club local to you, contact them and get to a meeting or two and find some mentors to get you started in the right direction. You don't say where you live or I'd give you a link to the closest club but this link will enable you to find it.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Welcome to the Vortex but beware that like most hobbies it can be a money pit. Hint: the lathe is the cheapest part. :D

Neal Addy
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Good suggestions there, Cyril. Those sites will give you a good feel for the products that are available.

One other site I highly recommend for anyone interested in pens is Russ Fairfield (http://www.woodturnerruss.com/). He does a terrific job of explaining the tools and techniques.

Also check out the "Links" page on my website (see profile). It lists a lot of good resources.

Gordon Thompson
01-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Hint: the lathe is the cheapest part. :D

As one with very recent experience in gathering equipment and supplies, I can verify the truth in that statment! :D

Scott Conners
01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
I highly suggest watching craigslist or other classifieds in your area, there are often great deals on used lathes and tools from retiring and upgrading woodworkers.

Stan Cook
01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
How much will it cost?

It's best not to go there...seriously. Do NOT keep track of what you spend and do NOT add up the total cost at any point in time. And especially, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, let the wife know how much anything cost. After all, does she tell you how much she spent on shoes, clothes, shoes, jewelry, and shoes?

Have fun :D

Jerome Hanby
01-22-2009, 1:18 PM
I'll probably get ambushed for suggesting this, but you could haunt Craigslist and find a great deal on a Shopsmith. I've seen many for sale that include the bandsaw and/or jointer. For less than $1000 you could have the lathe and all the basic power tools covered and some quality turning tools. If you replace all the Shopsmith's functions with standalone devices later on, you can turn the smith into a dedicated sander and power source for any shop made gizmos (like a drum sander) you dream up.

Chris Huybregts
01-22-2009, 2:34 PM
Hey Jeff,

I recently got into it and can tell you that it cost me right around $1000 bucks.

But, i have a fully stocked "beginners" setup that includes a sharpening station as well.

The Lathe itself was indeed the cheapest part, I got mine while Jet had their $25 + $50 promotion rebate in december. All up, the lathe was I think $350 for a jet 1014I (non-variable speed), for me, since i've never used a VS, i'm not to sad I don't have it... yet :)

The rest of the cash was spent in one trip to woodcraft, but for it, I got a
8" low speed grinder,
a wolverine sharpening jig,
pen mandrel,
pen blanks (they have a 5lbs bag for 13 bucks which has been good to practice on, about 80 blanks in there),
Jacob's chuck (since i don't have a drill press, I use the lathe as one),
Nova Precision Midi Chuck (to hold the blank while I drill press it, it's on sale now at woodcraft for 85),
Nova 25mm jaws for the midi chuck (to fit the pen blanks in)
The $60 Harbor Freight HSS lathe tool kit,
Stand for the grinder,
20 slimline pen kits to practice on,
2 books (pen and general turning),
the pen drill bit set,
replacement 7mm drill bit as I almost killed myself when i broke the first one,
face shield (purchased after I almost killed myself),
sandpaper kit (the little strips, i think there are 5 grits in there)
Micro mesh kit,
CA glue,
Huts Crystal Coat,

Probably some other things, but that's pretty much it. I find that I now have enough to do a whole lot with my mini lathe. but yeah, I'd expect about a grand to get going if you're going with all new stuff.

Hope that helps, for a new hobby, I consider 1k pretty good. Most hobbies for me are more than that (scuba, mountain biking, etc). Additionally, when checking craiglist for austin, I would rarely see lathes hence the "all new" route for me.
Chris

Richard Madison
01-22-2009, 7:43 PM
Jeff,
If you really get into woodturning more funds will become available as you lose interest in other hobbies and sell off that equipment.

charlie knighton
01-22-2009, 8:57 PM
what Richard said, also sell a couple of pens, even for a couple of $, claim the sales,pay your state,local, and fed tax, then take you depreciation
you can even show your wife this

Jeff Farris
01-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Stan,

My greatest fear is that when I'm gone, my wife will sell all my equipment for what I told her I paid for it. :eek:

Bruce McElhaney
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Prices and setups do vary, but You'll probably wind up spending at least $1000 for a new, high quality pen turning setup. More $$$ if you want to turn larger objects. That's fairly expensive compared to a hobbies like bird watching or dumpster diving, but pretty cheap compared to Boating, Sports Cars or Big Game Hunting.

Jeff Nicol
01-23-2009, 2:46 PM
You could spend a lot of money buying things one at a time but if you want to get started with just about everything here is a package deal from PennState Industries:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK073SPECV.html

You would have to get a chuck some day and some more gouges and tools for bowls and such but not bad for what is there.

Jeff

Steve Campbell
01-23-2009, 3:01 PM
Mr. Farris you are a lot closer to being right than you may know.

Steve

Neal Addy
01-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Jeff, I hope we didn't scare you off.