PDA

View Full Version : Substrate Barter Exchange

Steve Clarkson
01-22-2009, 9:31 AM
So I bought a 4'x8' sheet of bright orange acrylic and had it cut down to 16 sheets of 12"x24"......come to find out, I only needed TWO of those sixteen sheets. So I was losing sleep last night thinking about what I'm going to use those other 14 sheets for and how I could dye two of them pink for a job I'm doing tomorrow.......and then I had an idea.......

Would it be feasible to create some type of CoOp or "Substrate Barter Exchange" where you could contribute some of your excess inventory and be allowed to obtain other people's excess inventory?

I bought a roll of gold LaserLights.....used about 18"....but what I need today is 18" of Silver....or black......etc. etc. What if there was a list of "excess inventory" where I could get 18" of black? For free.....

If I "contribute" two sheets of orange acrylic.....I would get say a $40 "credit" to my account where I could order up to $40 of other stuff that is in the "inventory".

It would come down to finding someone that is willing to do the recordkeeping (maybe that could be their "contribution").

We really wouldn't even need to warehouse the inventory either. If I have a $40 credit for the two sheets of orange acrylic that's still sitting in my basement.....if Johnny Jones needs one sheet, the "administrator" would simply send me an e-mail telling me to mail the one sheet to Johnny Jones.....then the Administrator deducts the one sheet from inventory and deducts $20 from Johnny Jones account.

I guess the main issues would be making sure people don't contribute only "crap" materials in order to get some good stuff and "valuing" someone's contribution (should I get a $20 credit for the sheet of acrylic or only $18?)....but I guess rules could be set up to address these issues.

I have a key ring with 20-30 different colors of acrylic.....I sure would like to have a sheet or two of each......but when you have to buy a 4'x8' sheet....it's just not feasible to have a rainbow of colors in inventory.

What do you think? Would this be feasible? Anyone willing to step up and be the "recordkeeper" or "administrator"? Not me!!!!!

But I'd sure be happy to get rid of a sheet or two of that orange acrylic.......

Angus Hines
01-22-2009, 9:43 AM
I have a 24 x 36 inch sheet of 1/4" neon pink. I could meet you at the Delaware Memorial Bridge in say 4 hours and swap some pink for orange.

I' raather do that than the recording keeping your talking about.:eek:

Steve Clarkson
01-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Angus, I'm just leaving now.......see you around 3pm.

Uhhhhh.....did you not read the part where I volunteered NOT to do the recordkeeping too?

I nominate Frank.

Scott Shepherd
01-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Frank will never work out. He'd be constantly telling us to use £'s or something :)

Stephen, I'll take 2 pieces of that orange off your hands if the price is right :) Let me know how much and if you are interested and we'll go from there.

Thanks-

Steve Clarkson
01-22-2009, 10:53 AM
You can have them for free......if you'll be the recordkeeper!

Dan Hintz
01-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Excellent idea, thought of suggesting something similar myself many moons ago... as long as someone else was the bookkeeper :p

Unfortunately, that will be the most difficult part of the job, by far. You also run into the issue of how to keep track of size, not just type. What if someone needed your orange but in 24"x18" sheets? Bookkeeping would amount to a growing list of each material to include sizes of each scrap. Messy messy messy.

----------

I do have an idea, however, that would prove easier in the long run as it would not require a bookkeeper at all. The downside is it would require some initial work on Keith or Aaron's part to set up a webpage. The page would be open to all (or maybe just contributing members as a way to ensure they are somewhat paid for their hard work on the page), and it would include a simple submission system. Material type, manufacturer and part # (if known), color, seller's city/state, requested price, quantity, size, etc. The list could also have items deleted as they are purchased, and it would auto-remove any entry over, say, 6 months old to ensure it stays fresh. It would be up to the seller to ensure the list has everything he wants to part with on the list. This removes pretty much all post-setup work. A separate database (SQL I assume?) from the forum could be used to allow searching for a specific material, or if you want to get fancy (and spend more time programming) have custom search boxes.

Whatcha think?

Doug Griffith
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
That would be fairly easy for me to build a website around but I wouldn't go the record keeping route. I'd go with a striped down eBay instead.

My concerns would be:
1) "trust" issues - setting credit values, quality, and fulfillment.
-- instead, it could be a barter system. No points, just "I'll swap you this for that". Satisfaction would be indicated online by each party.

2) very few people would participate.
-- we'd have to take a poll.

3) SMC doesn't allow linking to outside websites so how would people find it.

4) shipping expenses

5) did I say trust issues?

Cheers,
Doug

Mike Null
01-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Guys

I hate to rain on your parade but this is not the kind of thing permitted on Sawmill Creek. I suggest you consider doing this on a private site where a volunteer could maintain it.

In the meantime contributors can post their for sale items in the Classified Ads.

Angus Hines
01-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Keith could start a Swap Shop forum section.....where no classified could be posted just .

"I got this, and need that, wanna swap, PM me" kinda thing.

Then it would be between the 2 members.

Angus Hines
01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
And Steve where you at in the city? Im up there off and on all the time.

Dan Hintz
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
My idea was getting away from the swap mindset and just go with straight purchase, removing the need to find something to swap with or something of equal value. If a 4'x8' sheet costs me $10 and I use half, I'll list the remaining half for $5 (plus S/H)... maybe a little more if I want to recover some expense of having such a large minimum order sheet sent to me, or maybe a little less if I know I'll have zero use for it and just want to get it out of my hair.

While Mike makes mention of this sort of setup not currently being allowed on SMC, SMC is Keith's baby, so if he decides to give everyone final permission or help set it up, that's his prerogative. In that case, I would lean towards it being open only to subscribing members, which would help keep out the riff-raff as well as ensuring at least some flow of money to SMC.

Steve Clarkson
01-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Guys

I hate to rain on your parade but this is not the kind of thing permitted on Sawmill Creek.

Sorry Mike.....I didn't realize that this kind of thing violated the TOS....I assumed it was commercial advertising that was not allowed.....where one person would benefit financially.

Joe Pelonio
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
We have such a section on a bonsai forum I belong to, for exchanging cuttings and seeds. It works fine at times but also causes huge problems,
with moderators having to deal with disputes, sometimes resulting in people being banned when they get into nasty arguments. I'd recommend just using the classifieds. Posters there can respond to the seller with a swap offer if they want.

Bill Cunningham
01-22-2009, 9:31 PM
Steve!! Hang onto your 14 sheets of Orange Acrylic.. Come Halloween, you might be kicking your own butt for getting rid of it..ha.. With all the trinkets we cut out for folks at Christmas time, a few Witches, Pumpkins, and Orange Cats might just fill the bill.. Why you could even make some of those wonderful Halloween Reindeer :D

Steve Clarkson
01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Halloween Reindeer :D

THAT'S funny!