PDA

View Full Version : Brass screws in MDF

Dave McGeehan
01-22-2009, 9:30 AM
I must install very small brass hinge screws in MDF. Normally, when installing brass screws, I cut the threads using steel screws first but these screws are so small I can't find steel screws that match the thread pattern. I'm thinking of drilling holes close to the thread diameter and adding epoxy before installing the brass screws but I'm not crazy about that idea.

Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Todd Bin
01-22-2009, 9:57 AM
Screws in MDF are not a great idea. But you gotta do what you gotta do. You are going to have to drill a pilot hole. I think the epoxy idea is a good one.

If you have extra screws you might try it in another piece of MDF and see how it goes.

Art Kelly
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I use thin CA to harden up MDF. Haven't tried it for screws, but I think it would be worth a try to thread a screw into the pilot hole, remove it and put a couple drops of thin CA, let it cure (I use accelerant if it's on a jig, etc.), then reinsert the screw and drive it home.

Art

Howard Acheson
01-22-2009, 10:05 AM
You might want to consider drilling oversized holes and gluing in dowels. Then you can drill into the dowels and end up with a more secure fastening.

What are you building? How will it be finished?

Myk Rian
01-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Yep. The dowels will work best.
Normally, I use sheet metal screws in MDF. The straight shank helps prevent splitting if you drill a pilot hole first. Many times I'll countersink them.

Dave McGeehan
01-22-2009, 1:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm installing the brass screw in brass hinges and an inset lock/catch. I must use the screws that came with the hinges and lock for aesthetic purposes. They will be used on a 10"L X 5"W X 6"H MDF box veneered with walnut burl. I'm not concerned with splitting, my main concern is breaking the screws because of the softness of brass.

Jerome Hanby
01-22-2009, 1:53 PM
You might want to consider drilling oversized holes and gluing in dowels. Then you can drill into the dowels and end up with a more secure fastening.

What a great idea. I've used dowels to hook two pieces of MDF together but never thought of that.