PDA

View Full Version : Announce deal or buy and resell to make a few $$

Anthony Whitesell
01-22-2009, 8:19 AM
I have the chance to purchase some woodworking parts that I don't have any need for from a local retailer at a great deal. I'm torn between:

A) posting the the deal the discounts and deals section (which may not be available at all retailer locations)

or

B) buy them myself, add a few dollars to the price and resell them. It would still be a steal for the end purchaser and I would get a few dollars for my 'trouble'.

What would you do?

Jude Tuliszewski
01-22-2009, 8:47 AM
I would buy then let my inner circle have a crack at them at cost, and the rest I would try to make a few bucks on.

Sonny Edmonds
01-22-2009, 9:25 AM
I think I would go have another beer, and realize where I would want to tie up capitol.
But then...
I'm not a salesman either.... :D

Rick Moyer
01-22-2009, 9:28 AM
Ethically, I wouldn't have a problem with you buying it all and reselling at a profit. The question is what is the risk and are you willing to accept it. If you are comfortable with that then I say go for it.
I also agree with Jude's comments, especially if there's something I want!:D

David G Baker
01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
At one time I did a lot of buying and re-selling. The thing that I found is that I really needed to know what I was buying and the true resale value. I would try to pay around 20 to 30% of retail, repair the item and try to sell the item at 50 to 60% of the retail price. In most cases the items I sold would be cheaper than it could be purchased anywhere. I also guaranteed the item that I sold to people I knew and as is when selling on Ebay. Most of the items I dealt with were high end motion picture equipment that I was very familiar with and could repair.
If you know that there is a demand for the woodworking items and the price is "GREAT", then go for it, but always assume that it may be yours for life.

Jim Becker
01-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Given the current economic conditions, I doubt I would opt to tie up money in speculative inventory, outside of perhaps, really nice lumber. Therefore, I opted for the "Deals and Discounts" route to share without risk.

Anthony Whitesell
01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm taking your advice Jim, I posted it in the Deals and Discounts to share the wealth. Not only because of the risk factor but because I think many others may benefit. May benefit because it is a Lowe's clearance and we are all learning how hit-and-miss they are.

Jude - besides my father, you guys are my inner WW circle.

Paul Atkins
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Not sure what a 'woodworking part' is. A hundred pallets of shaker pegs would be different than 10 pallets of LN plane blades.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-22-2009, 3:16 PM
Overall - sounds like a perfectly OK transaction to me. But I'd think about *why* I was getting a deal. if someone was doing me a favor or going out on a limb for me - then I'd feel guilty about it. But if they need to sell, or otherwise have a vested interest in just getting rid of the stuff - then full speed ahead.

all the comments abou tying up capital are valid. think of it this way - if you end up eating even 10% of the value, was it worth it?

other option - post a list of what you might have available, and see if you can line up buyers before you have to make a decision.