PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Bowl

Richard Allen
06-28-2004, 2:37 PM
I got a 6 1/2" x 4" x 6' piece of Paduak a while back. Last week I decided it had "aged" long enough and made a lidded bowl. This is my second effort with this particular hunk of wood.

Thanks

Jim Ketron
06-28-2004, 5:41 PM
Great Job Richard!!

Thats some bright wood ! It almost put my eyes out to look at it!:cool: Nice finish!
I would love to see it in person.
Jim

Chris Padilla
06-28-2004, 6:01 PM
Beautiful job, beautiful wood, beautiful shape...my wife saw this post over my shoulder and loved it! Is it for sale??? :D :D

Richard Allen
06-28-2004, 8:07 PM
Hi Jim

Yep that is what Paduak looks like when freshly cut. The wood darkens fairly quick. In a year the outside will tone down a LOT. In a couple of years the outside will be dark redish brown. The inside will hold the color a bit better and it will takea few years to darken. But right now the color is OUTSTANDING and that is reason enough to turn this wood from time to time.

Thanks

Jack Hogoboom
06-28-2004, 8:39 PM
Really, really nice. Can you describe how you turned it for us novices?

Richard Allen
06-28-2004, 8:49 PM
Hi Chris

Thanks for the kind words. Wood like that can make most turnings loook great. check your PM.

John Shuk
06-28-2004, 9:03 PM
Very nice. It will age nicely as well I'm sure.

Richard Allen
06-28-2004, 9:17 PM
Hi Jack

It is basicly two bowls. With the lid being a shallow bowl.

The wood was 4" thick. I cut the corners off the 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 4" blank. Then mount the blank between centers.

Turn the blank round and form a bowl shape at each end.

Form a tennon for the chuck at each end. (about a 2 1/4" tennon)

Remove the the drive center and mount a chuck.

Mount the bowl end tennon in the chuck and use a parting tool to part the lid from the bowl. I usualy part to about 1" thick and then saw through the rest with a hand saw.

Then finish turn the bowl. Make sure the rim is either sloped in or sloped out (I think sloped in is better).

Mount the lid and turn it like a bowl. You can leave a big nub in the center like I did or turn any feature you like. Start with the rim and slop it the oposite direction as the bowl so the bowl rim and lid rim match up (it doesn't have to vbe perfect). But the size of the rim should be real close to the size of the bowl. Make sure you get the size done before you hollow out the lid so that the lid is well supported with the mass of the wood.

I use cole jaws to turn the foot of the bowl and the top of the lid.

The knob is turned seperatly and glued in.

When I make another one I will take some pictures.

Thanks for the interest.

Christopher Pine
06-28-2004, 10:12 PM
A friend of mine made a box aout of paduak a few years back and the outside is allmost black... while the inside still looks the redish color... would like to see this turning in a few years to see how it does... allmost looks like walnut it is so dark.
HE had it in his living room not directly exposed to sunlight or anything just the way this wood its I guess.
Chris Pine

Mark Singer
06-29-2004, 1:22 AM
Beautiful! It will go dark in UV light