PDA

View Full Version : STL Woodworking show

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2009, 8:48 PM
Who's going this year and are we having breakfast at Cracker Barrel again? Was it at 8am last year?

Can you tell I just got the flier? :rolleyes:

Dale Morris
01-21-2009, 9:36 PM
Hi Gary Me and a buddy are going for the first time. Is it a big show? I am really looking forward to it I'll probably go Fri & Sat. Wher does all the creekers eat breakfast at and when? I'd like to meet some fellow creekers, I have just joinded recently.

Dale

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2009, 9:57 PM
I'm going on Saturday. It's not as big as it used to be. I mostly go now to see folks at breakfast. We'll find out where and when when some folks start responding.

Oh Jiiimmm...

Matt Woessner
01-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I am planning on attending the show with several people. I am a little far away so I may not be up there until 10AM or so. I am looking forward to the show, as this will be my second one.

Jacob Griffith
01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi All,

I've never been before but I think I'll try to make it up on Saturday and check it out.

Mike Heidrick
01-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Wife and I make a weekend in St. louis out of that show. We are headed down Friday the 6th. I am stopping in Troy, IL on the way down Friday to meet a woodnetter and see his moulding machine and then stopping at a woodnetter's shop in Chesterfield the next day to pick up a new Baldor 7.5hp 3phase. Where do you guys eat at on Saturday?

Guy Germaine
01-22-2009, 5:13 AM
I'll be going again this year. Normally, we meet at Cracker Barrel in Caseyville (I-64 & 157) at 8:00am.

Jim Dunn
01-22-2009, 7:37 AM
I'm here:) I'll get back to ya as that Saturday is the same day as my Bass Club Banquet. I'm not sure I can handle all the excitement in the same day.

On another note I went to the fishing show there this month and it was a ghost town. Hope this show is better!

John Keeton
01-22-2009, 7:48 AM
St. Louis is a 5.5 hr trip, but I considered going until I looked at the exhibitor list - pretty scant. Looks like 32 exhibitors, several that would not be of much interest. I have never been to this show before, but I take from some of the comments that is has been larger in the past??

Mike Heidrick
01-22-2009, 7:57 AM
St. Louis is a 5.5 hr trip, but I considered going until I looked at the exhibitor list - pretty scant. Looks like 32 exhibitors, several that would not be of much interest. I have never been to this show before, but I take from some of the comments that is has been larger in the past??

NO WAY is it worth that John unless you have some other reason to be in St louis.

Tim Malyszko
01-22-2009, 8:01 AM
I'll be there Saturday, but I'm not sure what time yet. It depends on the homework load.

Last year, I remember seeing a Laguna Tools Display. I'm hoping it will be back because I want to check out their bandsaws.

Mike Heidrick
01-22-2009, 3:38 PM
Last year Laguna had a 16HD and one of their small ones. Also had the plat. tablesaw. I was over looking at them and the guy did not even bother to look up from his Blackberry. Was not impressed.

Clay Crocker
01-22-2009, 9:23 PM
Last year Laguna had a 16HD and one of their small ones. Also had the plat. tablesaw. I was over looking at them and the guy did not even bother to look up from his Blackberry. Was not impressed.

Mike,

Some things never change. I had the same problem w/ Laguna at the St. Louis show several years ago. At the time I was very interested in their TSS. They had one at the show, but it was in pretty rough shape and not even set-up to demo. I could not get any help from anyone in the Laguna both either.

The folks over at Kunz Carpentry (General Distributor) were awful nice though, and they had a regional rep from General there to answer questions and demonstrate products. I guess that is why I own a General table saw now. :)

I have not been to the show in a few years and don't think I will make it back this year.

Clay

Tim Malyszko
01-23-2009, 8:32 AM
Mike,

Some things never change. I had the same problem w/ Laguna at the St. Louis show several years ago. At the time I was very interested in their TSS. They had one at the show, but it was in pretty rough shape and not even set-up to demo. I could not get any help from anyone in the Laguna both either.

Well this doesn't sound very encouraging. I was hoping to demo one as I am in the market to replace my little, underpowered 12" bandsaw now that I've got a veneering setup.

I'll keep in mind Kuntz also - I keep seeing their ads on craigslist.

Chris Kelble
01-23-2009, 9:10 AM
Hey Gary,

I might be interested in meeting up with you guys on Saturday morning. Keep us posted as to when and where.

thanks,

Gary Herrmann
01-23-2009, 1:45 PM
Hey Chris, I pm'd you back.

Tim, if you want to come by and check out my MM16, let me know. Personally, I'd point you to Minimax over Laguna anyway, but that's just my opinion.

Steve Clardy
01-23-2009, 3:34 PM
Who's going this year and are we having breakfast at Cracker Barrel again? Was it at 8am last year?

Can you tell I just got the flier? :rolleyes:

John and I will be there if I can get a cabinet job nailed down there in St. Louis. [Will need to come and measure it up]

I'll be going again this year. Normally, we meet at Cracker Barrel in Caseyville (I-64 & 157) at 8:00am.

Same place sounds good to me. At least I know how to get there. :D

Any new place out of town, seems I have to tour the whole dad gummed state to find it. :o:D:D

Steve Clardy
02-01-2009, 3:47 PM
Just a bump. I'll be there.

Going early friday to bid and work out a cabinet job in St. Louis.

Breakfast, same place and time?

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-01-2009, 8:11 PM
Count me in for breakfast. See Ya There.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
02-01-2009, 8:47 PM
Sounds good Bruce.

Bring some tall stories along. :D

I got ahold of Mark S.
He won't be able to come and help out with the BS'ing this time.

Tim Malyszko
02-03-2009, 6:58 PM
I'm now in for Breakfast. 8 AM at Cracker Barrel, correct?

See you saturday.

Steve Clardy
02-03-2009, 7:01 PM
Thats the plan. :D

Gary Herrmann
02-03-2009, 9:42 PM
99% sure I can still meet you guys there. If memory serves, the Cracker Barrel is in Caseyville, isn't it?

I talked to Tom, he can't make it this year.

Chris, you still going?

Steve Clardy
02-03-2009, 9:44 PM
Cracker Barrel is in Caseyville, isn't it?

Yep. :D:D:D

Chris Kelble
02-04-2009, 1:04 PM
99% sure I can still meet you guys there. If memory serves, the Cracker Barrel is in Caseyville, isn't it?

I talked to Tom, he can't make it this year.

Chris, you still going?

Gary, I sent you an email earlier today, but yes, I'm still going.

Steve Clardy
02-04-2009, 2:00 PM
There was a guy there last year. Tom ????

Ran a logging truck. Has anyone let him know?

Tim Malyszko
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm now out for Breakfast. A friend of mine is meeting me at the house at 10 AM so we can go to the show together.

Maybe next year.

Steve Clardy
02-08-2009, 6:05 PM
Well I'm back home. Had a good time.

5 of us showed for breakfast.

Had a good visit.

Bruce and Jim went awalt on us :confused::D

Gary Herrmann
02-08-2009, 7:11 PM
There were more people there than I would have thought. The 10% off at LV was nice too.

Steve Clardy
02-08-2009, 7:18 PM
It was wall to wall bodies fer sure.

Had to park in the back 40 lot.

Went to lunch and came back, and managed to get a closer parking spot, about a 1/4 mile away. :eek::D

I milled around LV's booth about 30 seconds. Seen the new hotrod planes and the dovetail saw. Nice stuff, but had to close my eyes and walk on by.:rolleyes:

Way too tempting

Gary Herrmann
02-09-2009, 9:13 AM
You're stronger than me, Steve. Kurt and Chris left me there after about 20 minutes of me trying one tool after another...

I had been thinking of the Rigid oscillating spindle sander but held off because of the damage I did at the LV booth. :rolleyes:

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-09-2009, 8:19 PM
It apears that I posted an apoligy to the wrong thread, so I'll do it again. This is for the folks that met at the Cracker Barrel. Due to my supidty and a burntout trailer tractor rig I got there way to late. I know that your were ALL waiting to hear me rattle my mouth :eek: (yeh - sure!). It was probably better for you by not having to hear about the demise of my Woodcraft store and the trials of a Starving Artist!

As a turner, I was not impressed with the show. However, I did come away with three sets of turning tools for my classes at a reasonable time.

I will probably not attend again. Driving 7 hours roundtrip, and was only able to spend two hours to get through the show, with my current income level is not cost effective.

I would like to pass cudos to the local groups that showed off their work. It was interesting and well done.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
02-09-2009, 8:43 PM
Well shucks Bruce.

You were missed.

Hopefully next year will be better for you.