PDA

View Full Version : Any One Here A Musician?

Trent Hausman
01-21-2009, 8:17 PM
I'am I play the electric guitar and bass, Irish Pennywhistle, and not so good at the Piano and Irish Flute. I would like to play the chinese violin called the Erhu what a neat instrument, very exotic.

Here is a link to my music, I play mostly punkrock just give it a listen:cool: The Songs were recorded using Guitar Pro 5 and a few were recorded of me actully playing the guitar, the ones recorded with Guitar Pro 5 Sound much better.

There just clips/demos cause there is no lyrics yet
You could call it Punk Rock Instrumental

http://www.esnips.com/user/trenthausman

Post your music too:)

Jason Beam
01-21-2009, 8:21 PM
I play guitar. Blues mostly. I have 4 axes at the moment - Two strats, a strat copy and a fender accoustic.

I don't have the chops to record anything really - it's about as close to a hobby as I get. Woodworking's the obsession, playing guitar is just a pastime for me.

Trent Hausman
01-21-2009, 9:32 PM
I got an Gibson Sg Faded Red Guitar yeah I know its not the real thing. My brother has a S.U.B. Musicman Bass.I would like an Acoustic Guitar. Music is my Obssesion, I'm not much of a woodworker I more like designing the piece. I only can build simple things. I like to build Irish Flutes. So thats my hobby.

Dennis Peacock
01-21-2009, 9:40 PM
Rhythm guitar here but primarily a bass guitar player. Been playing bass for about 35 years now. Still play every week.

Breedlove Accoustic/Electric 5-String bass
Fender Jazz American Made 4-String bass
Used to own a Ovation Custom Legend 12-string guitar as well as a Gibson Les Paul electric with various amps.

Country, bluegrass, mellow rock, comtemporary christian, jazz, and blues.

David Christopher
01-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I play a little when I dont beat my hands up wood working....also make one now and then....... this is a few of mine

Trent Hausman
01-22-2009, 6:31 AM
David,

Well You Got Alot more Guitars than me. I got one decent one and a real cheap Ibanez. I'm A Lefty Guitarist.:cool:

Hal Peeler
01-22-2009, 7:10 AM
Simple Rhythm guitarist here. I play in our praise band at church, but I won't play out any where else...go figure.
David, I'd like to hear more about the builds. I am getting the urge to build an electric guitar now and someday would like to do an acoustic.
Interesting (to me at least) thread
Hal

Dennis Peacock
01-22-2009, 9:47 AM
I'd like to build an electric bass guitar - 5-string.

David Christopher
01-22-2009, 9:51 AM
I think I have some pictures at home of some builds in progress... will try to find and post tonight

Jim Becker
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Keyboards plus a little guitar and bass...but not anything meaningful in many, many years. No time. :(

Chris Padilla
01-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I sing extremely well...in the shower. Does that count?

Oh, I know. I played trumpet for half of 6th grade.

:D Ima listener, I guess.... :D

Bill Keehn
01-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Keyboard, guitar and banjo. None of them very well. Bought a Martin DX-1 about 6 months ago. Since then found the Dave Herberts videos and have actually started to make progress.

Trouble is, an hour of practicing is that could have been spent in the shop, and vice versa. Either way, it makes it harder to focus.

Jim O'Dell
01-22-2009, 1:44 PM
Used to play a little basic rhythm guitar in a trio praise team in Jr. College through the BSU. Nothing special for instruments. Cheap 6 string that one of my nieces has at college now, and a Conn 12 string that is a sweet little guitar for the money. Jim.

Jamie Delker
01-22-2009, 3:27 PM
I've been playing guitar for over 22 years, this has been the first year since the beginning that I haven't been in a band. I've played in many types of bands, even professionally for a few years... blues, funk, jam, oldies, indie, alternative, classic rock, but mostly different types of metal (hardcore, melodic, progressive, thrash, hair... I won't explain the differences if you don't already know ;)).

I gave up and sold most of everything last year, with the exception of 2 guitars and a combo amp that I have sentimental attachments to. Around here it's more of a party scene than a music scene, and I'm getting too old for that nonsense, so I dropped out. Probably get a country band going when I'm ready to play again though. :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-22-2009, 4:33 PM
I sort of play the guitar:
Martin OMV leftie custom rosewood
My own 12 String dreadnought I modeled after a Martin 12 which I had in my shop for repairs.
Used to be a drummer many years ago.
Many many many years ago.
Gawd I'm old.

John Ricci
01-22-2009, 8:22 PM
I've been accused of making my fair share of noise in my time...made my living at music in the 70s but I don't get to play nearly enough these days. Here are some of the current toys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/LPBlue/Music%20Stuff/Pict0105.jpg

Missing from the pic are a 78 BC Rich Seagull and a few of my amps (73 Marshall full stack, another small Fender and some oddballs from the 60s)

J.R.

David Christopher
01-22-2009, 8:54 PM
the three on the floor I made about a year ago...I have a few in progress but havent been the mood to finish them.. it takes alot of patience with fitting and freting if you want it to play right and I dont have that right now

Hal Peeler
01-23-2009, 7:43 AM
the three on the floor I made about a year ago...I have a few in progress but havent been the mood to finish them.. it takes alot of patience with fitting and freting if you want it to play right and I dont have that right now
So, David, do you make them from scratch? Necks too? I have thought about making a body but buying a neck and fitting it. Actually I have thought about making a body from a piece of 2X framing lumber (pine, spruce, etc.) just to gt the hang of it before I ruined a piece of hardwood. Would love to hear more.
Hal

Barry Richardson
01-23-2009, 7:59 AM
Hey Trent, I'm a lefty too..it's kind of a drag when you go to Guitar Trader or someplace like that and can't test drive their guitars, except a couple of cheap ones. Used lefties come up very rarely as well. Oh well, it sure puts the brakes on impulse shopping. Anywho...I've got a mexican strat, a Martin DG16 and a little Larrivee parlour guitar. I like about all kinds of guitar based music in any form; bluegrass, jazz, rock, blues, you name it, but I mostly practice flatpicking on the acoustics, and blues on the strat. Haven't checked out your music yet but I will! Cheers, Barry

Al Willits
01-23-2009, 8:44 AM
Playing days are over for me, started in about 1963 with a nylon stringed folk guitar and went though more than I can remember, same for groups, did the basic garage band thing to finally a 9 piece fusion group and then back to weekend warrior status.

Latest stuff I had was a Vox Super Beatle, Fender pre cbs twin reverb, SG head and custom 2x12 and 4x12 bottoms, Gibson 335 with dimarzio PU's, Gretch solid body with modified eletronics, and a Hoffman single cut-a-way acoustic, add a few effects and that's about all I needed to gig.

Brain abscess and ending up paralyzed on my entire left side, then 6 months of therapy left me back to ground zero, rather than start over at 50+ I just sold everything but the Hoffman.

Sure do miss it, but just don't have 4 hours a day to practice anymore.

Al

David Christopher
01-23-2009, 9:38 AM
So, David, do you make them from scratch? Necks too? I have thought about making a body but buying a neck and fitting it. Actually I have thought about making a body from a piece of 2X framing lumber (pine, spruce, etc.) just to gt the hang of it before I ruined a piece of hardwood. Would love to hear more.
Hal

Hal, I started out going to the pawn shop and buying cheap guitars and steaming them apart, replicating pieces and making new ones. then after a while just started making from scratch. the first one I bought the neck from Warmoth the rest i made myself

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I dont' play much since losing all of my hearing in my right ear due to a viral infection. I play maybe 3 or 4 times a year. The tonal distortion I hear now took the fun out of it. I still have and play a Fender Power Jazz Bass.

Brent Ring
01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Currently I have a 6-string Acoustic, and an Epiphone Electric. Not as much as in the past. Church work, WW, and hockey officiating take most of my spare time. When I play, I usually play folk, blues, and a bit of RnR! Two of my sons play, much better than I do, and we have fun together. Love late '70s music, and am a big fan of Jack Johnson and John Mayer of late.

Mike Langford
01-25-2009, 8:29 PM
Here is some of my collection in my small music room.....

I've got a few pot-bellied gits....;)

PA & amps....

Fender P-bass & Deering 6 string banjatar....

Mando & Uke (with a pot-belly!)....

Me (and my pot-belly :D) on da mando.....

Brian Kent
01-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Jazz drummer and concert percussionist. Followed in my fathers footsteps with jazz drums and some marimba. Played the conga in church today.

Glen Dion
01-26-2009, 4:21 AM
I'm a closet banjo player. Pick mainly bluegrass and some melodic style.
I just got an American made Deering Seirra a couple months ago from Janet Davis music down in Arkansas. Has a nice sweet mello tone, as if a banjo can have such a thing:rolleyes:

Glen

Joe Cunningham
01-26-2009, 8:56 AM
Hal

My local WW school has a guitar making class. I'm still debating whether to pony up the $$$ or not. They are building a tele but with a pre-made neck.

I play off and on, but other than taking some flamenco lessons for a while, never really got serious about it. Still have my flamenco guitars and practice my arpeggios, tremolo, and rasgueado 4-5 times a week, but never played with dancers.

David Christopher
01-26-2009, 9:15 AM
My local WW school has a guitar making class. I'm still debating whether to pony up the $$$ or not. They are building a tele but with a pre-made neck.

I play off and on, but other than taking some flamenco lessons for a while, never really got serious about it. Still have my flamenco guitars and practice my arpeggios, tremolo, and rasgueado 4-5 times a week, but never played with dancers.

Joe, if its not crazy expensive I would take the class. I would imagine they can teach you things that will keep you from wasting expensive wood while learning. if you want to buy a neck I think Warmoth has the best quality and deal that I could find... Good luck and if you have questions just ask

Butch Edwards
01-26-2009, 9:33 AM

Dave..what model is that Gibby w/ Bigsby? looks sweet...
I sold 2 Les Pauls to buy WW machines...was worth it, but I'm not selling any more guitars(got several more Gibsons). they are fetching a LOT more than what I paid for 'em, so they'll be passed down to the Grandson. same for the other gear. the 4x12 Engls are bringing over 1500( I paid 6 for it)...
gald to see other axeplayers here @ the Creek!!!;)

Peter Elliott
01-26-2009, 9:35 AM
I play the bagpipes.. Playing for about 7yrs and still learning. It's got a personality of it's own. No plans to every make one, it's pretty difficult skill to learn. I play for my Fire Dept. Pipeband, www.dcfdpipesanddrums.org (http://www.dcfdpipesanddrums.org)

But I did start a side business that has turn into a pretty good part time job for me. Lot's of prototypes, samples, etc. went into the final product. Not much is on a 90 degree angle. http://www.bagpipecradle.com (http://www.bagpipecradle.com/)

Playing the pipes is pretty fun. It was a steep learning curve at first which is why most people drop out. But once you learn, you have to keep at it or say good bye... I suppose most instruments are like this.

Oh, the what's under your kilt joke never ends... I just say "my shoes...":rolleyes:

-Peter

Doug Shepard
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
It's been quite a while since anything has been out of the case, but I guess I still consider myself a musician. Played guitar since about 8 years old, 3 out of 4 years of a music major degree studying jazz/classical, and professionally in bands for about 10 years when I was in my 20's and early 30's - mostly on the dismally boring Top 40 circuit where you're basically just a clone of the record with moving parts. Also play a little bit of bass, keyboards, harmonica and have dabbled with saxaphone, clarinet, and mandolin. I tried violin very briefly but I like cats, and I was just scarin the poor things. If I can ever wade through my project To-Do list, I've been wanting to build one of the Siminoff H5 Mandola kits and maybe an acoustic guitar or 2. I'd really like to pick up a nice archtop or maybe a semi-hollow and start playing more again. Used to have an Ibenez 335-type (same one John Scofield plays) but in one of my stupider moves I traded it for a bass. All I've got at the moment are a classical, a Yamaha thinbody acoustic/elec, a Steinberger, Hughes & Kettner amp, a Mando, Kawai & Oberheim synths, drum machine, and a funky 4-track cassette recorder (talk about yer obsolete technology).

David Christopher
01-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Dave..what model is that Gibby w/ Bigsby? looks sweet...
I sold 2 Les Pauls to buy WW machines...was worth it, but I'm not selling any more guitars(got several more Gibsons). they are fetching a LOT more than what I paid for 'em, so they'll be passed down to the Grandson. same for the other gear. the 4x12 Engls are bringing over 1500( I paid 6 for it)...
gald to see other axeplayers here @ the Creek!!!;)

The guitar in the chair is a 1992 country gentleman, I also have a 1924 L5 and a 1910 flattop. mine are not for sell either ( unless I get real hungry ) LOL

Butch Edwards
01-26-2009, 3:41 PM
I've been accused of making my fair share of noise in my time...made my living at music in the 70s but I don't get to play nearly enough these days. Here are some of the current toys

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/LPBlue/Music%20Stuff/Pict0105.jpg

Missing from the pic are a 78 BC Rich Seagull and a few of my amps (73 Marshall full stack, another small Fender and some oddballs from the 60s)

J.R.

that Custom looks like a modded Framton model... or a Frehley( but I though they were sunbursts)..
the Boogie is cool, had a F-100 that was waaaaaay too loud, however, I doubt that it would compare to the 73 Marshall... what type is it ? (I'm bettin' 100 watter :D)...