PDA

View Full Version : Cherry aesthetics advice

dan lemkin
01-21-2009, 7:34 PM
I am making some end table legs with 8/4 cherry. After jointing some rough stock, I notice a dark band on part of it. No knots... just a brown grain area.

I am not totally opposed to the color variation and "natural" look... but was wondering what others thought.... I do have extra, so I can probably avoid using an affected piece.

Other question is... is there any strength, or cleavage issue to be concerned about?

Frederick Rowe
01-21-2009, 9:28 PM
Last year I bought about 300 Bft of cherry harvested in southern Pennsylvania. Most of the lumber was typical cherry, medium red - however there were a few areas where the red turned into a chocolate color, almost like walnut. I chose to work around it, but there were no voids, spalting or other defects in the wood that were consistent with the color change. Personal preference.

On another note, did you get your Grizzly tool issue squared away? If you need any help moving them, let me know, I'm just south of Baltimore in Howard County.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2009, 9:48 PM
Dan

Just one point of view, and it is always changing.......

When I started out I built furniture, and I built it as perfect as I could, with the most perfect woods I could find. But after a while, and in part because the fakes were getting so good, I started to intentionally work in the little gifts that nature gives us. A streak is just a natural part of the wood that a machine can not duplicate, and tiny little knot adds a point of interest similar to a small mole on a beautiful womans cheek. Your work can be better for the imperfections, or percieved imperfections, if they are presented right.

Lately on a cherry case project I filled a couple of spider knots with West System and planed them flush. It gave them an infinitely deep look and the customer commented how interesting they looked as they were worked into the piece. The doors and drawers were carved natural scene with with a sandhill crane and cat tails coming out of the carving for handles, so I thought it was interesting that she would comment on the knots.

Long winded, but to me defects are not always faults.........

dan lemkin
01-21-2009, 9:53 PM
Thanks for the advice.

RE: G0634... The replacement was held up in freight. It was supposed to be here last friday. I waited all day, called at 6:00pm. Was told it was stuck in ohio due to weather. Was a little miffed they never bothered to notify me of the delay. Another strike against UPS Freight. NOT A GRIZZLY DELAY.

Due to work scheduling, I couldn't receive it until tomorrow. I will let everyone know how it turns out. I have my camera charged, and will be reporting the swap.

I am bribing my neighbors and Charlie K. (who is local) with burgers and beer. I think we have enough people. If you want to stop by, I am happy to get you a burger + beer. Just need to finalize time to accommodate helpers schedules. :)

thanks
dan

Don Bullock
01-21-2009, 9:56 PM
Dan, it's truly a personal preference. I'm more into the natural color and grain of the wood. With the exception of oak, I don't use any dye or stain. That may change if I ever get a chance to get some quality curly maple in order to accent the grain. Cherry often has a difference of color like you described and for me that's part of the beauty of using a natural material instead of plastic. But, that's my preference for the type of furniture and other things that I make. If I were to make a more "formal" piece I would have to alter my view of staining the wood.

Chip Lindley
01-22-2009, 1:17 AM
A Century ago, hardwood from sylvanian, old-growth forests was cut and only the best was used in furniture making. Wood we call FAS now was probably #2 way back when.

Judicious use of wood's natural flaws not only accentuates a piece, it allows the use of less-than-perfect wood. If the streaks in a certain tree are carried throughout a furniture piece, OR a whole kitchen or bath, a one-of-a-kind theme is established which nobody else can duplicate! *Pecky Pecan* aka *wormy hickory* used to be firewood! Now it is in commercial cabinetry!

Mike Parzych
01-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Other question is... is there any strength, or cleavage issue to be concerned about?
Nope.

Prashun Patel
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I vote for highlighting the natural variation if yr not planning to stain or otherwise color the wood. If you are, then that variation can complicate the process.

Jim Becker
01-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Cherry can often feature a variety of pitch presentations. Sometimes these are just small spots, etc., and sometimes there is a line or other visual. These are natural color variations and I don't consider them a "defect". No worries on strength unless there is an actual void and even then it's not much of an issue for many components.