View Full Version : Jig saw - subsitute for a band saw?

Greg McCallister
01-21-2009, 5:43 PM
I am looking at getting the jig saw that seems to be the one and only for many - the Bosch 1590. After using my cheapo skil over the weekend I realized how bad that saw really is.
I have a very small shop and would love to have a band saw, but feasibly, do not have the room for one except for a small bench top model.
Can this jig saw handle most projects that are created using a band saw?
Now before all the questions come out...
No I will not be resawing lumber - if I do plan on it I will have to get a band saw, no other way around it but do not see it in the near future.
Most everything I work on currently is less than 1" thick. May go up to 1.5" but the jig saw should handle that.
Sheet goods and solid hardwoods are what I plan to cut. I can use the jig saw to create templates that can be used on the router table wing on my table saw for curved projects to get that finished cut.
So - honestly, am I on the right track? Or are we talking apple and oranges?

frank shic
01-21-2009, 6:09 PM
hard to do those profiled legs with a jig saw but i'll pass on that for now. i'd rather add a lathe than a bandsaw to my shop. i don't do any resawing either and don't plan on making shaker boxes any time soon.

glenn bradley
01-21-2009, 6:12 PM
Apples and oranges, for sure. However, both cut curves so there is some overlap of a sort. Since I abandoned my old Skil "hop-a-long" and got the 1591 I find it to be an amazingly useful tool. I use it for quick cutoffs instead of breaking out the circ-saw as well as many other tasks.

Can you cut rocking chair rockers with it as well as on a bandsaw? Depends on the bandsaw and the jigsaw operator :D. Just kidding. At any rate a good jigsaw is well worth the investment and in lieu of having the room for a bandsaw; I think it is a wise move.

Bill White
01-21-2009, 6:14 PM
Just my view, but I'll pitch my jigger before I'd give up my bandsaw. I even have some 1/8" blades for the bandsaw for really fine work.
That said, there are some instances when the jig saw is best. That's the reason I have one.
Bill:rolleyes:

Josiah Bartlett
01-21-2009, 7:01 PM
The problem with jig saws is that there is only one guide on the blade, so you don't get a nice 90 degree cut like a band saw gives you. If you are prepared to work around that, then you should be fine. If you make a pattern for any curves you are cutting, you can rough shape it with the jig saw and then use a pattern cutting bit and collar in your router to square up the cut and approach final shape. I think the best use of bandsaws is in production and resawing, if you aren't doing that then there are other ways to get the work done, they just will take longer.

Lee Schierer
01-21-2009, 7:09 PM
I have both, and they are used for similar but different work as others have indicated. The Bosch is a good saw. Use their Progressor blades and you will get great cuts. With a straight edge you can get cuts as smooth as with a TS (using the T-234X blades) Cutting curves can be done, but blade selection comes into play to avoid the bottom of the blade from wandering off line.

You can take you jig saw with you anywhere you need a hole, the BS stays in the shop and you have to bring the work to it and the cut has to be less than the diameter of the wheels. No such restriction with the jig saw.

Dewey Torres
01-21-2009, 7:21 PM
Get the jig saw... you will need it anyway even if you have a bandsaw.

The progressor blades are great but buy a pack of Extra clean blades. Super nice cut with this saw.

Someone said above that there is only one guide on a jigsaw but with this model you should know in the precision control mode is has 2 guides. That wont stop the blade from flexing completely during curved cuts but cuts it down to a minimum.

Jerry Olexa
01-21-2009, 7:23 PM
The BS gives you more stability of the blade. The Bosch however is a great jigsaw and should handle most tasks for you in thinner stock...under your circumstances.

Peter Quinn
01-21-2009, 7:55 PM
A good jig saw like the bosch will cut curves in thin stock, say less than 1 1/2" with a good blade. Maybe not as quickly or cleanly as a band saw, so be prepared to do a bit more cleaning up. A jig saw runs out of range as things get thicker, but it has many uses a band saw cannot offer and is far more portable. It can also cut metal and a variety of other materials that might be difficult on a BS. Not a direct replacement by any means, but a good option if a BS doesn't fit your situation and a valuable tool in any event.

Ever try to cut out the inside of a circle with a BS?

Bryan Berguson
01-21-2009, 8:52 PM
Greg,

I have both but the bandsaw seldom gets used. I also had a cheap jigsaw which was replaced with a Bosch. Your reaction will probably be: Oh - My - Gosh does this thing cut nice! You'll have a big smile on your face and you're going to look for more things to cut. They cut that nice!

I was putting board and batten siding on my house when I bought mine and ended up using it for cutting the boards to length. MUCH quieter than a circ saw and just about as fast. One of those tools that just feels good to use.

Buy the Bosch, feed it only Bosch blades and you'll never regret spending the money.

Bryan

Sonny Edmonds
01-21-2009, 9:50 PM
I have both, but an older version of the Bosch.
I'll tell you one thing, there is no way I could have cut out the life sized rain deers, or manger scene on the band saw! ;)
With the Bosch, it was a piece of pie! (I hate cake, love pie) :D

Danny Thompson
01-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Love my 1590. The biggest problem with a jigsaw is a tendency for the blade to bow on thicker boards (> 3/4") during curved cuts. May be my technique. The result is an edge that is not square to the face.

Remedy, a spindle sander, rasps, or spokeshave.

Brian Kent
01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
What is the name of the super-clean new Bosch blades - for Greg's sake and for mine?

Paul Demetropoulos
01-22-2009, 12:31 AM
What is the name of the super-clean new Bosch blades - for Greg's sake and for mine?

Bosch T308B "xtra-clean"

M Toupin
01-22-2009, 1:03 AM
Apples and oranges, each has it's strong points and weak points but there's some overlap too. The jig saw can cut curves in material less than about 1 1/2" r so. The band saw is cleaner and quicker though and excels at the thicker stuff. The jig saw excels at inside cuts like holes. You can do inside cuts with a BS, but you have to know how to weld blades. Doable with a BS, but not a lot of fun.

Mike

Dewey Torres
01-22-2009, 1:23 AM

Just for Brent and the crowd on the issue of the extra clean blades they are band spanking new. Both of the BORGS have them now and they are way great. Here is a formal review done by a Creeker progressor vs extra clean. I have the saw and both sets of blades and can vouch for the content here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97161&highlight=progressor).

Also,
The progressor as I have stated is an outstnding blade which is edged out slightly in performance by the extra clean so with either you can't go wrong.

Greg McCallister
01-22-2009, 8:10 AM
Thanks everyone for your input, those new Bosch T308B "xtra-clean" blades sure do look like the ticket.
Now I have to wait. Daughters want to get it for me for my birthday but that's not for a couple of weeks yet.
Anticipation....is making me wait (umm wasn't there a comercial like that :D)

Sonny Edmonds
01-22-2009, 8:21 AM
Maybe....
But there was a song about it first. ;)
Happy Birthday in advance! :)

Greg McCallister
01-23-2009, 5:19 AM
Maybe....
But there was a song about it first. ;)
Happy Birthday in advance! :)

Thanks Sonny!

Paul Demetropoulos
01-23-2009, 6:19 PM
Greg,

You're going to be very happy when you get that jigsaw, can't go wrong with it. I saw the thread on the DC system you did and was very impressed, great job. That Bosch would have come in handy on that project.

Oh, and Happy Birthday

Greg McCallister
01-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Paul,
It would of come in handy. I could of used it on my latest creation for the outlet on the DC. Thats when I decided I needed something better than the skil I have.

Tat Iwamoto
02-10-2009, 1:23 AM
Bosch T308B "xtra-clean"

I have seen the impressive review of this blade on Popular Woodworking.
So I shopped for a saw that goes with it, and figured things can't go wrong with the Bosch 1590. But unfortunately, it did not work. I got a replacement from Amazon, and the second one did not work either. I looked at the saw carefully, and realized that the blade was not completely aligned with the base. The blade is facing slightly left (looking down from the top), rotated around the axis of the plunger. This seemed to be the culprit for both units. When I try to get a straight cut using a fence on the left, the blade wonders towards the fence, and in the end cannot keep cutting if the cut is long enough. May be it would work with other blades. The T308B provides incredibly clean cuts, but looking at the blade I noticed the teeth had very little set. If they had more set, may be the slight rotation of the blade retainer would not be a problem. The T308B blade seems to be introducing a higher alignment precision requirement to jigsaws. Which even Bosch's own top of the line saw is not able to meet.
I love the blade, I just need a saw that can drive it straight.

Dewey Torres
02-10-2009, 1:32 AM
You right Tat. It has to be your saw because mine works like a dream. I use it all the time and as some of review say, I have thought about tossing some of my other blades.

Rick Potter
02-10-2009, 3:33 AM
I needed a band saw once while working away from home. I made up a table that fit in my vise, and mounted the jig saw from underneath, with a half inch hole for the blade to come through. Picture a quickie home made bench top router table with a jig saw, rather than a router.

Worked fine, and I was able to do some small stuff a lot easier by moving the work, rather than the saw.

Be very careful not to forget the blade is there, work safely, use guards, and all other safety devices possible, unplug the saw before changing blades, do not wear jewelry or loose clothing, do not wear gloves, never dance while using power tools, and always remember to wear these..... safety glasses.

Rick Potter