PDA

View Full Version : Water Pipe Broke - Table Saw & Router Soaked

Kelvin McConnell
01-21-2009, 4:45 PM
I had a pipe freeze/break this past weekend and flood my garage and basement. The reason this applies to this forum is that a lot of water wound up on my table saw and in my router (was mounted in a table). Two questions:

I wiped down the table saw top and put several coats of WD40 on it. This seems to have stopped/slowed the rust. What’s my next step?
A very large leak was almost directly over my router motor. A lot of water flowed in/around the router. I removed the motor from the table and shook out all that I could and then placed it in front of a fan. What’s my next step?
I have not tried to turn either the table saw back on or the router. Should I? There is a good chance that I’ll have to file a claim with my insurance (lots of sheetrock and insulation damage). Should I put down some sort of lost with these tools?

Dan Keeling
01-21-2009, 5:07 PM
Perhaps denatured alcohol could be used to displace any water from the internal components?

Ray Phillips
01-21-2009, 5:20 PM
I made a stupid mistake and set a freshly cut piece of walnut on my table saw on a rubber backed rug. I went on vacation and came back a week later and I had a large rust spot on the table saw. I used WD-40 with a ROS and scotch brite pad and was able to get all the rust off. I then put three coats of Johnson paste wax on and I have had no more rust. You stated that you dried your router in front of a fan. If you think the router has completly dried then see if it will run. If it doesn't then report it as part of your insurance loss. Your homeowners insurance may not cover your tools if you are in business and sell your crafts. If your tools are strictly for hobby use then they may be covered. Good luck.

scott spencer
01-21-2009, 5:23 PM
I get a fan on any motors that got wet to dry them out.

Jason White
01-21-2009, 5:30 PM
Grab a compressor with a nozzle and blow the crap out of everything and spray WD-40 everywhere -- inside the saw and out! If water got into the tablesaw motor, it might be a lost cause, but blow it out with air and let it air dry for a few days before you try plugging it in and starting it. Also run a dehumidifier in the area for a few days.

The router on the other hand.........

JW

I had a pipe freeze/break this past weekend and flood my garage and basement. The reason this applies to this forum is that a lot of water wound up on my table saw and in my router (was mounted in a table). Two questions:

I wiped down the table saw top and put several coats of WD40 on it. This seems to have stopped/slowed the rust. What’s my next step?
A very large leak was almost directly over my router motor. A lot of water flowed in/around the router. I removed the motor from the table and shook out all that I could and then placed it in front of a fan. What’s my next step?
I have not tried to turn either the table saw back on or the router. Should I? There is a good chance that I’ll have to file a claim with my insurance (lots of sheetrock and insulation damage). Should I put down some sort of lost with these tools?

Bill Petersen
01-21-2009, 5:43 PM
If this is something you are insured for it might be time to think about replacing them. Not that you couldn't salvage the TS & router, but if you are going to turn in an insurance claim for other damage from the flooding it might be worth a shot to see if your adjuster would also replace the damaged tools.
Whatever you do, good luck in getting up and running again soon.

Bill

JayStPeter
01-21-2009, 5:59 PM
I agree with others that WD40 is a good place to start for some stuff. It will displace the water and prevent further rust from starting.

I had a slight flood in my basement shop a few weeks ago that ruined the top on my Festool MFT. I was lucky that was all the damage as the water flowed for at least a couple days. Fortunately at a slow rate.

I guess you can chalk potential water damage up as another disadvantage for basement shop :):cool:.

Jay

Bill White
01-21-2009, 6:20 PM
Then you can work on a rehab if you wish.
I sure wouldn't fire up either one before several days under a fan. Don't like elec. surprises at all.
Bill

Joe Chritz
01-21-2009, 6:27 PM
Chances are extremely high that once they dry out they will be fine. If you are doing a settlement anyway it would be worthwhile to toss them on there and get a couple new motors out of the deal.

Once the tables are dry just treat them like you would any other time. For me that is just paste wax.

Joe

Bryan Parlor
01-21-2009, 6:54 PM
Don't use any solvent on the electronics.

Don't switch it on until its completely dry.

Dry the motor and any switches with heat and a fan. Just getting the outside dry is not good enough, its the inside that counts. Let it bake for a few days if you can.

Bryan

jim sauterer
01-21-2009, 7:36 PM
i had a pc690 submerged in water.ran a fan on it for a week and fired it up that was 18 months ago and still runs.run the fan.good luck

dan lemkin
01-21-2009, 7:56 PM
After you get up and running.. Consider installing a water cop. Not an alarm, but an automatic valve... Has wireless sensors which trip a ball-valve at the water main... Requires no intervention, can be wired into alarm system. They advertise that insurance companies give discounts for it. USAA does not.

Actually works. My cats knocked over water bowl, ran under washer and tripped mine... Scared me, until I found the source.

http://www.watercop.com/

Easy to sweat in. Placed right after water main valve inside house.

If the damage is not that severe or costly... may want to consider not filing a claim. There was just an article in Family Handyman which noted that this was a #1 cause for jacked insurance rates - due to anticipated costs associated with mold, future leaks from bad plumbing.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-21-2009, 8:39 PM
I have had several tools get soaked coming back from the jobsite. Several times the rain beat me home and everything got soaked. All you have to do is let it all dry out via fan. All will work fine as long as you don't turn them back on when wet.

Sorry about your mess though...that had to be a heart sinker!

Bruce Wrenn
01-21-2009, 9:59 PM
I'm going to go against most of the advice here. Kill power at the breaker box. Plug in and turn on device. Turn breaker back on. Most likely motors will start up and run OK. Run long enough to get them warm. This will displace water faster than a fan. Electricity always seeks the path of least resistance. Water by itself is a non conductor. The minerals in it allow for conduction of electricity. The windings in your motor will have less resistance than any of the water in the motors. Once I bought a PC-690 that had been used to cut dry wall. Motor was full of dust. I took the water hose and blasted out what dust I couldn't get with air hose. Plugged it in and ran it till dry. Still use this router almost daily.

Jules Dominguez
01-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I had water drip onto a router tabletop from an overhead drain pipe during a period when I wasn't in the shop for several days. The tabletop surface was waterproof but the inside edge of the cutout was unprotected MDF, and it swelled to the point that the top was bulged around part of the opening. It didn't bulge much, but it was enough to ruin the top. You might want to check for that.

hank dekeyser
01-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Like others I too end up "not beating the rain home" tools in the truck get soaked. No big deal, blow them out w/ compressed air, let dry a couple hours. Good to go. My saw top (sander top, jointer, etc, etc) see moisture often from high humidity conditions. wipe 'em down w/ alchohol, shoot 'em w/ WD-40. Any rust - I just sand w/ 220 in the D/A
If in doubt on the motors, plug into a tap-a-line (aka power strip) that has a breaker and a switch on it. Plug everything in, turn on switch on the tool, turn on switch on the power strip. If somethins gonna shock you or let the smoke out, you can throw the switch or the breaker on the strip will blow first. Plus you don't need to go to the fuse box and reset the breaker.

Gary Breckenridge
01-21-2009, 10:47 PM
If you have a besement dehumidifier make a little tent with a plastic tarp. Put the tools and the dehumidifier inside for a day or two. Good luck.:)A forced air heater vent may work about as well.

Mike Wellner
01-22-2009, 1:01 AM
At least you didn't place it where the toilet would be above, mother flooded the toilet and got my older 36-600 soaked with toilet water.

Dewey Torres
01-22-2009, 1:38 AM
My friend and Creeker Mike Holden explain to me he had something similar happened when I visited his shop and asked him about the reason for 2 benches. Evidently the one that got soaked warped so he bought a second. Sorry to hear of your misfortune!

Kelvin McConnell
01-22-2009, 7:27 AM
Thank you all for all the responses. I did forget about the router table top. I'm guessing it will probably have damage since one of the major leaks into the basement was directly over it. :( I'm supposed to get an estimate today from a local contractor on what he thinks it will cost to fix the house. If it's not to much over our deductable I'll probably handle the repairs (I hate sheetrock though), else we'll probably submit a claim. I'll also find out from the insurance company if the tools would be covered.

Thanks again for the responses!

Lee Schierer
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Your table saw most likely has an induction motor and as such the clearances between the rotor and the windings will be very small. Water may cause rust to form which will reduce or eliminate that clearance. this could freeze the rotor and not allow the motor to start. Get a compressed air source and blow out the motor. You can buy "Canned Air" at most electronics outlets if you don't own a compressor.