PDA

View Full Version : Glenn's Shop Tour - Jan. 2009

glenn bradley
01-21-2009, 4:45 PM
I am overdue but the shop never seems to be idle enough to get a clean shot of anything. Well, I'm 'between' after adding some additional electrical and the new DC so here goes.

What I call the left-front corner. Houses the Tablesaw/router table and the DC.

The re-org for the electrical and ducting additions cleared some space. The cleat system makes this almost too easy.

Here's the right-front corner. Houses the jointer and the fliptop; both served by the small DC in the corner. The DC also serves as my "lean" spot for a couple of my sleds and the fliptop tucks back in there when not in use.

Behind the bench I run my newer DP for most stuff, Grandpa's Delta/Milwaukee for drum sanding and the small 1970's Delta BS for small cuts.

I hang my hand screws and mounted my blade rack beside the cyclone.

Well, that ought to qualify me till Christmas or so ;-)

Craig Summers
01-21-2009, 4:51 PM
Glenn

Great shop there.

Wanna organize mine? LOL

Rob Cooper
01-21-2009, 5:04 PM
Looks ready for a project. Nice job organizing the layout. Are you planning on operating the the bag dust collector and cyclone or are you in ductwork purgatory like me?

glenn bradley
01-21-2009, 5:10 PM
Looks ready for a project. Nice job organizing the layout. Are you planning on operating the the bag dust collector and cyclone or are you in ductwork purgatory like me?

Thanks. I swore I would get the cyclone and the additional electrical done after the last project finished. By re-tasking the old AFF bag DC to the jointer and planer I was able to minimize my cyclone ducting. I've actually got two 10 foot 6" sticks and a box of connectors leftover from my original plan.

Both DC systems are now up and running :D. The cyclone serves the TS/RT and the larger BS. The little shop vac by the DP's takes care of drilling, drum sanding and small bandsaw work by swinging a hose between them as required.

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-21-2009, 6:43 PM
Nice shop, Glenn:D
How do you reach for a long clamps?:D:D:D

Bruce Page
01-21-2009, 7:35 PM
Nice shop Glenn, I like the way you have it arranged. What are the measurments? It sure looks a lot larger than my garage shop.

glenn bradley
01-21-2009, 8:09 PM
Nice shop Glenn, I like the way you have it arranged. What are the measurments? It sure looks a lot larger than my garage shop.

Oh lucky me! I finally got it through to the real estate agent that I was looking for a BIG garage that just happens to have somewhere to sleep attached. It is a standard 2 car garage but with the addition of a 4th bedroom option that the original owner thankfully did not take. It's just shy of 21 x 31 feet.

Dewey Torres
01-21-2009, 8:20 PM
I wish I had an extra ten feet. I was trying to figure out how you got all that in a standard 20x20...now I see.

Bruce Page
01-21-2009, 8:29 PM
Sweet! I could use an extra 10'...
20' would be better. :rolleyes:
40'X60' sitting on a geothermal spring would be even better!

Rick Potter
01-21-2009, 9:51 PM
Lookin real nice there, Glenn. Nice arrangement of the tools too.

Rick Potter

Don Bullock
01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Glenn, thanks for the views of your shop. It looks very well organized. I always enjoy seeing shops because they give me ideas for my own. I especially like your cleat system and am planning on the possibility of using one once I get to that stage in my new shop.

Al Barale
01-22-2009, 4:18 AM
Great looking workshop. Thanks for sharing the pics of your workshop Glen,

Pat Keefe
01-22-2009, 5:27 AM

That's what the bandsaw table is for :p

glenn bradley
01-22-2009, 9:05 AM
Nice shop, Glenn:D

Those that are overhead (like my longer pipe clamps) are used seldom and very specifically. I figured out I could have them somewhere other than "at my fingertips" and plan around their use. This freed up a lot of wall space for items that I reach for every day. I also have long arms ;-)

Rick Moyer
01-22-2009, 9:08 AM
Glenn, thanks for the views of your shop. It looks very well organized. I always enjoy seeing shops because they give me ideas for my own. I especially like your cleat system and am planning on the possibility of using one once I get to that stage in my new shop.

Ditto! At what heights are your cleats, and how high is your ceiling? Would you change anything about the cleats?

glenn bradley
01-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Ditto! At what heights are your cleats, and how high is your ceiling?

I have a concrete sill that effects my choice for the lowest cleat. I picked a height that would allow me to hang a standard base cabinet and position the top of that cabinet at about 36" from the floor. Your mileage will definitely vary depending on your floor to wall construction ;-)

The middle cleat is about 5 feet from the floor with the upper cleat again being dictated by the electrical soffit that is just above it. I left just enough room to hang a cleated fixture from the top.

On the opposite wall (he's next in my ongoing upgrade to the shop) I will probably use the same lower and middle heights for conformity of the fixtures. The upper cleat can go a bit higher as there is no soffit on that wall.

Would you change anything about the cleats?

I would have certainly added them sooner rather than later. The move to this system makes reconfiguration a breeze. I now relocate things for convenience that I would never have bothered with before. I would have just "worked around" the situation. Now I just slide things over or grab the whole fixture off the cleat and hang it 'over there' for awhile. After using it for awhile I can see that the smaller or more congested the shop, the greater the benefit of this setup would be.

Things from the DAMHIKT list:

- Walls aren't straight in any direction. Shim your studs so that the wallboard (and therefor the cleats) are flat across the surface before you mount to them and have to take the cleats back down to do it. The fixtures won't slide and relocate easily if the cleats are wavy front to back ;-(

- Wax the mating surfaces of the cleats AND the back of the fixture's cleat where it will contact the wall. Otherwise, the first time you move it, some of your new paint comes along for the ride ;-(

Things from the "that worked great" list:

- If you need longer wall cleats a scarf joint or a pocket holed butt joint work great.

- The pegboard panels are more useful than I ever imagined but get good pegs that stay put.

- Almost anything can be hung from these things. They are really solid if they are made from good plywood (or other quality stock) and screwed to each stud (I used #10 x 3-1/2" McFeely's square drive coarse thread screws).

- Make spare cleat and spacer material and toss them up over the rafters. They'll be ready to go when you suddenly want to add either more cleat or build a new fixture to hang.

John Sanford
01-23-2009, 2:34 AM
Looks pretty good there Glenn. One thing you may want to consider is adding fold-down wings to your fliptop to extend your in and outfeed for the planer. I built a planer stand from a Shopnotes (IIRC) issue with a fold-away outfeed support and it makes a substantial difference.

I do like the cleat system, wish I could use it. :(

mike johnston
01-23-2009, 9:11 AM
Everyone loves pictures of shops. It should be manditory for membership.
(no pics of mine)
Mike

Rick Moyer
01-23-2009, 9:24 AM
Thaaks for the info, Glenn. Too late for me to shim the studs, but the rest of the info will be thought over before I get much farther. Nothing on my walls right now except the wood rack I'm building, then onto tool placement, then finally the cyclone. This whole process is taking MUCH longer than I anticipated.