PDA

View Full Version : Best Ear Muffs

jason lambert
01-21-2009, 3:13 PM
Ok I am not trying to keep my ears warm but trying to block noise. I tried the Peltor (http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-H10A-Professional-Canceling-Earmuff/dp/B00009LI4K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1232568572&sr=8-1) brand, 3m, harbor Freight the 3m where the best but I really want to get the best ones I can to protect my ears in the shop and the rid a mower it seems I have noisey hobbies.

What is the best hearing protection you have used?

Burt Alcantara
01-21-2009, 3:27 PM
I use Howard Leight 33db muffs made for shooting sports. I believe they have new models that have better ratings. If you want to cut out more noise, double plug. That is to say, use 30db+ ear plugs under the muffs. For these I use the MAX-1 brand, also by Howard Leight, which are rated at 33db. I bought a box of 200 sets a number of years ago and still have a bunch. At that time, the box was $20. You can wear them once and toss them or wear them still they get too funky to touch. Noise will promote ear wax and the wax will stick to the plugs. At least that's the story for me.

My wife uses the plugs when she goes to sleep. Works well if you are a light sleeper and noise sensitive.

I think you'll get better protection with non-electric muffs because the sound may be attenuated electronically but they need to be able to pass sound when not attenuated. With non-electric you won't hear conversation as clearly but you will certainly not hear as much "noise" either.

For a good test, go to a range during hunting season when people are sighting in their rifles. If you can stand next to a 300 Magnum, you're good to go.

Burt

Lee Schierer
01-21-2009, 3:52 PM
Look for the highest dBA attentation rating you can get. I would suggest trying them on as som fit much better than others. Note that you can increase teh dBA rating significantly by wearing earplugs inside whatever brand you buy for over the ears. Some also come with speakers and/or a radio so you can listen to your music although loud music can still be damaging to your ears.

Thomas Bank
01-21-2009, 3:59 PM
Just had a big long discussion on that here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101772

Peltor H10As come up as a frequent recommendation.

jason lambert
01-21-2009, 4:40 PM
Thanks I will read through that. I don't want to double plug the plugs bother me over time and are a pain to pull in and out after I am done with a machine I will typically take the muffs off. I have a pair of H10A I bought them based on the recomendations here and didn't look back but last week I picked up some 3m. I found the 3m smaller and block more, however they do fit tigher. So that is why I started research again.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2009, 5:12 PM
The best ones are the ones you will wear. They don't do any good hooked over the motor on the mortiser, only on your head, so go try some on. I use Peltors, but I have modified the ear muffs with cloth because i do not like the feel of plastic on my skin.

My wife bought me a pair with a radio, and I found it to be a distraction. I cut my index finger off about twenty minutes after having them on, so I am not sold on the radio/music headphones. Threw them away. I still think, even that aside that you need to be listening to what the tool is telling you, and I do not allow personal music devices of any kind for any of my employees, or at least when I still had some.

Just me though.....

Peter Quinn
01-21-2009, 9:30 PM
I use Peltors I was given at work, they seem to work fine. On really noisy machines I have used both plugs and muffs, but generally the muffs fit my head well and seem to block the noise well. We get tested annually as required by OSHA and I have not lost hearing to date. I guess you can start with the numbers but your head is unique and a set that fits your head tightly but comfortably is likely to be used and may block noise better than a poorly fitting set.

jason lambert
01-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Ouch larry sorry to hear about your finger. I use a radio in the shop but the machines block that out as soon as they start so I can still hear what is going on. Hearing the machine is sometimes important especally on saws.

Howard Acheson
01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Last June, Wood Magazine did a comprehensive test of ear protection. You might go to your library and see if you can find a copy.

I don't recall the details but they found that the electronic types did not work well for the frequency of noise in most shops, nor were the "radio" ones very effective and special purpose types such as those sold to shooters were not a good choice.

Bottom line was that frequency of the noise was as important as the loudness of the noise.