PDA

View Full Version : Help with right angle drill

Alan Turner
06-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Guys,
A bit of help, if I could. I am in the market for a right angle drill, which will not see heavy use. I would appreciate any ideas, experiences, etc. Smaller the better, as I have limited space for the drill on the current project. I do furniture, not construction, so will not be drilling large holes with it.

Yes, I did look (and drool) at the Festool cordless with the right angle attachment, but with the use I will give it, I don't think it is justified, for me. I have compressed air,, with a 25 gal. tank, if this would be less expensive. I currently have no air powered tools, except for nailers and spray finishing guns.

Thanks to all Creekers.
Alan

Tyler Howell
06-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Makita has a 9.6, & 12vdc model. I bought the 9.6 from the Makita Service Center rebuilt with full (new) warrentee. Very pleased. As you said not much use.... but that one time!!;)
PS I know a couple of guys that found chucks for their angle grinders (No VSR). Looked all over for one to fit my PC before I bought this one:o .

Donnie Raines
06-28-2004, 11:39 AM
I have the Makita Tyler speaks of...and it is ok. I also have the Craftsman Professional right angle drill(chorded) and love it. Far more power and very easy to use. Priced around 120 bucks.

Steven Wilson
06-28-2004, 11:47 AM
I have a Dewalt 14.4v cordless and added a 14.4v Dewalt right angle drill. To save money I bought the drill without case, charger, or batteries. So you might want to consider buying a right angle drill that fits in with your current crop of cordless. As for the Festool, when my Dewalt dies I'll get a Festool with the right angle attachment

Alan Turner
06-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Does anyone have the Sioux? I have seen it advertised for many years.
Alan

Lee Lamb
06-28-2004, 12:20 PM
The Sioux and Milwaukee close-quarter drills are identical except for color. I use mine almost daily and would replace it with the same if it got legs. It is a powerful unit and fits into tight places. All of these units balance a bit differently than a typical electric drill. For mounting cabinets and hardware it can't be beat. For construction I use a heavier Milwaukee right-angle 1/2" drill. It is heavy and can actually move me around if I hit a knot or nail. Good luck.

Jamie Buxton
06-28-2004, 12:43 PM
In my experience, right-angle drills and drill-adapters are more fragile than I expect. If you catch a bit with conventional straight drills, you'll stall the motor, or maybe spin the tool in your hand. With right-angle drives, I have broken the gears which turn the 90 degree corner. I've done this with right-angle adapters from Delta and from Veritas, and I've done it to a Sioux/Milwaukee drill too. I now have a Hole Hawg. It won't break.

In all fairness, I have to admit I broke these things doing housebuilding, not furniture. I was trying to bore holes larger than an inch deep into construction lumber. While I primarily do furniture work, tools is tools, and they get used for whatever task I attack.

Russ Filtz
06-28-2004, 12:44 PM
I got a Dewalt 12V from ebay for around $60, no case but 2 batteries. used. Just used it this weekend to run some CAT5 wire in a tight spot in the attic! (actually, that's why I bought the thing)

Richard Allen
06-28-2004, 2:32 PM
I have the Souix and a Makita. Both with cords. They both work great. For tight quarters the Makita is better. It even has a little white LED to put a light on your work. That is a very nice feature when working in a dark cabinet. The Makita also comes with a handle you can screw into the head of the drill like the handle found on many right angle grinders. The makita has a good speed control and you can oporate the drill beyond your reach (the switch is such that you cna run the drill with your hand anywhere along the lenght of the drill.

The Souix fits great in the hand.

Good luck

Chris Padilla
06-28-2004, 3:47 PM
:D :D :D :D

You sure, Alan?? :D :D

Alan Turner
06-28-2004, 4:10 PM
That wasn't verynice, Chris.
Alan

George Summers
06-28-2004, 4:24 PM
I have the Harbor Freight right angle adaptor. It was bout $10-15. It is light duty but I haven't had any problems so far in about a dozen uses.

George

Bob Powers
06-28-2004, 7:40 PM
I use a right angle adapter that I bought about ten years ago for about $30. It works very well, but.......! It's a pain in the you know what to install, so I use it on a B&D corded drill that I bought many years ago at a B&D repair center for about $25. I just leave it on the drill.

Jim Becker
06-28-2004, 9:20 PM
Does anyone have the Sioux? I have seen it advertised for many years.
Yes...I use it for power sanding at the lathe but have also put it in to use a couple of times when I needed to get something drilled/driven in very close quarters. It's a key-chuck, but that's not an issue for me since I don't change what's in the chuck very often at all...and for awhile, I didn't even change it since I "misplaced" the key! :rolleyes: (It was right where I put it, of course...) I bought mine from Coastal Tool.

If you want to check it out before buying one, make a trek to lovely Bucks County at some mutually convenient time!

aurelio alarcon
06-29-2004, 4:55 AM
I have the Makita Tyler speaks of...and it is ok. I also have the Craftsman Professional right angle drill(chorded) and love it. Far more power and very easy to use. Priced around 120 bucks.I also have the Craftsman Professional one. It is very nice! It is on sale right now for 99 bucks. It ususally retails for 139! I think the sale ends on the 3rd but not sure. If you want to go cordless, they now offer the EX model in a 14.4 volt right angle cordless. Haven't used it so can't really say much about it. But the EX line is supposed to be pretty decent. It is about 89 bucks. And there is always a sale at sears. By the way, that Festool of Chris' sure is nice!

Bob_Hammond
06-29-2004, 7:59 AM
I have a Dewalt 14v which is broken after fairly light homeowner use. I'm looking to buy an electric one and hope that it is more durable.

Bob

John Tarro
06-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Same problem with some of the smaller pieces I make. Need to get into really tight spots and even the smaller right angle drills will not fit. Milwaukee makes an attachment ($25 +/-) that REALLY works quite well. It is slim and fits really tight spots. Got it at Home Depot. One of the things I have to use it for is attaching the top of tables for things like couch tables when they have a shallow drawer with a dust shelf under. Have to reach into the drawer space and that is really tight. Like I said, it works really well.

Alan Turner
06-29-2004, 2:40 PM
:D :D :D :D

You sure, Alan?? :D :D

Chris, you are very bad! Just ordered the Festool. Why did you have to go and do that? Well, let's see. My current cordless was cheap, and is worn out. Needed one - a new cordless - anyway. The depth in the right angle mode is 2.375, vs. the Makita at 2.625, while the Sioux (plainly the prettiest of the lot) is well over 3". My space for this drilling operation is very tight. How about that for tool acquisition justification. Bob Marino did not make it any easier to resist.
Alan

Jim Becker
06-29-2004, 2:44 PM
Chris, you are very bad! Just ordered the Festool... Bob Marino did not make it any easier to resist.
He shoots...he scores! Good choice.

Chris Padilla
06-29-2004, 6:14 PM
Did you get the unbelievably AWESOME eccentric drive, too??? I love that offset drive...my neighbor was impressed, my father was impressed.... It is kinda strange at first as you have to relearn how to drive something straight with it but it is the best option I've ever used on a drill.

Glad I could help you part with some hard-earned cash, Alan! ;) I'm sure Bob will kick-back some mulah to me as well.... Bob! Bob? Oh Bob.....:(
.....Bob????

Greg Mann
06-30-2004, 1:24 PM
Did you get the unbelievably AWESOME eccentric drive, too??? I love that offset drive...my neighbor was impressed, my father was impressed.... It is kinda strange at first as you have to relearn how to drive something straight with it but it is the best option I've ever used on a drill.

Glad I could help you part with some hard-earned cash, Alan! ;) I'm sure Bob will kick-back some mulah to me as well.... Bob! Bob? Oh Bob.....:(
.....Bob????
Hey Chris, did you inform Alan of the time and place of the next FA (Festoolies Anonymous) meeting? Poor guy, he never saw it coming.

Greg