PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Workbench

John Adam
01-21-2009, 2:17 PM
Guys,

I'm looking to build a modified version of the Workbench features in the October '08 issue of Popular Woodworking.

The top is made of Ash planks glued together to make two sets of 12"x3 1/2" surfases.

I think the Ash is beautiful, but while searching for wood, I found 2" White Oak for $0.85 / board ft. That's about 1/3 the best Ash price I could find.

Do you see any issue with using Oak for the top?

John Adam
01-21-2009, 2:18 PM
Apologize for my spelling - that's why there's a preview button :)

Jason Tuinstra
01-21-2009, 2:37 PM
Apologize for my spelling - that's why there's a preview button :)

John, welcome! I don't think there'd be a problem at all. It will make a nice strong solid surface. Go for it!

Also, if you look, there's an edit button too. It's one of my favorites :D:p

Matt Woessner
01-21-2009, 3:23 PM
Hello and welcome to another Missourian.
I would agree with Jason, oak would work well for the bench.
On another note if you are willing to travel and if my memory serves me well the sawmill where I purchase a lot of my lumber ash is cheaper than oak. I am about an hour away from you though.

Bob Lang
01-21-2009, 4:25 PM
If I could have found white oak for that price, the bench in the magazine would not have been made from ash.

Bob Lang

John Adam
01-21-2009, 6:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I've just gotten started in real woodworking and have much to learn.

Mr. Lang, I loved the article and have been drooling over the bench since I got the issue in September. I just need to get the rest of my shop converted before I can start (I have a box full of new hand tools, still in their plastic, waiting for me to get going).

I will have to make a few mods though:
- I bought the JET 10" B3NCH Jointer/Planer (took a shot - $419 for two key tools), so each section will be 10" wide instead of 12
- I can't really justify the $ for Veritas Twin Screw Vice, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a different clamping option. Most likely I'll use (pardon the non ww terminology) the long clamp that runs from the floor, with a screw in the top for clamping
- I have a small shop, so I'll probably make it a bit shorter

I hope to convince my wife to buy me your book for valentine's day - it looks fascinating!

Thanks again for your comments, I'll send pics when I finish - probably 5 months ;)

I just noticed your updated notes on the PW website:
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/Bobs+Bench6+Months+Down+The+Road.aspx
(thought I'd give you a little plug here)....

Al Navas
01-21-2009, 7:27 PM
If I could have found white oak for that price, the bench in the magazine would not have been made from ash.

Bob Lang

THAT is certain :eek:! 8/4 white oak = $6.40/bf for QSWO here, and $4+ for plain sawn. And I was able to find it in ONLY ONE place - that's it!

John,

Where, Oh where could be buy that oak for $0.85 bf???

Jeff Hallam
01-21-2009, 7:30 PM
Hi John,

I'm not sure if you watch the "Wood Whisperer" videos at all but if you check out one of his most recent videos (a tour of David Mark's shop) you will see a viable alternative to the twin screw vice that you can create using a regular Record vise.

Jeff

John Adam
01-21-2009, 7:48 PM
I guess I should qualify.

I found the wood on the St. Louis Craigslist - here's the listing:
Rough sawed red and white oak lumber, $0.85 per board/ft.

HxWxL- qty available
2x4x6- 23
2x4x8- 37
2x4x10- 26
2x4x12- 8

2x6x6- 33
2x6x8- 22
2x6x10- 33
2x6x12- 7
2x6x14- 20

1x6x8- 14
1x6x10- 9

1x4x10- 3
1x4x8- 11

1x5x10- 10
1x5x8- 6

I haven't seen the wood yet, but I spoke with him on the phone and he sounded very believable (although I'm a bit too trusting sometimes). He said it was in good shape and was cut over a year ago.

I asked the question on this forum to see if it was worth driving over 1 hour from here to look at it - sounds like it is.

I may get there and decide it's junk, but I may not!

If not, Lumber Logs has 2x Ash for $2.25 ($1.50 for "B"), which isn't so bad either.....

Joe Chritz
01-21-2009, 9:49 PM
8/4 air dried isn't likely read to use if it is only 1 year drying but even with charges to have it kiln dried if you are so inclined it is still a decent deal.

I didn't ask about flat sawn but QS is over $2 a BF green if I pick it up at the mill.

Joe

Paul Demetropoulos
01-22-2009, 1:13 AM
I guess I should qualify.

I found the wood on the St. Louis Craigslist - here's the listing:
Rough sawed red and white oak lumber, $0.85 per board/ft.

I haven't seen the wood yet, but I spoke with him on the phone and he sounded very believable (although I'm a bit too trusting someetimes).

and you are from the show-me state, right?

John Adam
01-22-2009, 6:25 AM
LOL! Yes I'm from Missouri, but I haven't bought it yet!!!

How do I know if it's dried properly? Do i have to buy a moisture meter?

Oh, and thanks to everyone for not flaming me about the book - I now realize that it's not Bob's book....

Maybe I'll stop posting for a while:cool: