PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Mustard ??

hank dekeyser
01-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey, is there a way to search for members in the Green Bay WI area ? I'm considering the plunge to get some big mustard- and I would like to "test drive" a few different lathes. I've got a few requests out to the local chapter of AAW - waiting for replies. I've come to the conclusion that I am hopelessly hooked and there is no escape for me. I've been considering vintage 'arn' as well. Maybe a Yates-American ? I'll have to be patient and see what comes up at local auctions, CL, fleeeBay, etc. - until then I figure I can at least maybe shorten the list of candidates. I'm really diggin' turning bowls so of course my next lathe won't be cheap (or inexpensive)

who's out ther from my neck of the woods ???

Thanks in advance

Dick Strauss
01-21-2009, 1:17 PM
Hank,
You can look up a local AAW chapter at http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp
I couldn't get any more specific not knowing what club is closest to you. You'll be able to find someone there for sure to let you try out some mustard.

Good luck,
Dick

Burt Alcantara
01-21-2009, 2:44 PM
Being in the right state you should take a look at the American Beauty.
http://www.turnrobust.com/

Be prepared for some serious sticker shock.

Burt

Jeff Nicol
01-21-2009, 6:11 PM
Hank, I am in Eau Claire WI. but that is a little bit of a drive but if you were ever in the area I would gladly let you give the Mighty Mustard a spin!

Jeff

hank dekeyser
01-22-2009, 9:02 AM
MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Jelly donut. I think the Robust might be a bit much $$ for me. I would definately have to turn on one before pulling the trigger on that - bump

Cyril Griesbach
01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Hank, I'm in Oshkosh if you want to try a PM3520B or Jet Mini.

Cyril

hank dekeyser
01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys- getting closer. Anybody in Green Bay ?

Kim Ford
01-23-2009, 1:19 PM
Hank;

I'm in Plymouth, about 45 minutes south, if you want to try a vintage Oliver patternmakers lathe.

But before you go to far in this quest, what is it that you want to turn? There are many excellent lathes out there you just need to find the right fit for both you and what you have an interest in.

If you're interested PM me with you phone number.

Kim

hank dekeyser
01-26-2009, 3:46 PM
Thanks to all - shameless bump - I want to turn HUGE BOWLS

Burt Alcantara
01-26-2009, 3:52 PM
Hank,
Maybe you want a Stubby or VB36. Or as Bill Clinton would say, "Define huge."

Burt

Jeff Nicol
01-26-2009, 6:09 PM
With the extention on the lower holes and the headstock at the end over 30" is possible! Now if you want to do 400lb blanks then I think a custom creation is in order! If I had the room maybe! I think you can get an 8' bed extention too for turning posts and columns. It is all about how much money one has to spend!

Big is good!!

Jeff

hank dekeyser
01-27-2009, 8:48 AM
Being that I'm 6'3" and 220# (or so) born and raised doing sewer construction, so my view on many things in life are slighty skewed.

Huge to me is a minimum of 30" and up. Yeah I realize lots of other factors come into play once you get that big. Heck, it might be more hassle than it's worth, but I wont know until I do it.
I see it like this - anybody can get a lathe and turn pens, spindles, bowls, ?? (no I'm not begrudging anyones abilities or talents) How many guys out there turn bowls bigger than 30" ?? For that matter have you ever even seen a bowl that large ?
I want to do it for the same reason I do anything - Because I can.

I pretty much want to get a feel for a "real" lathe and talk w/ those that have logged many hours so I can ultimately decide if I can accomplish what I want "off the shelf" or most likely need to take the road less travelled (I've been here several times already) and end up w/ a custom build.
Someone told me that Powermatic had a "bowl lathe" ??? anybody know? At any rate so far I'm leaning towards the VB36 design. thanx