PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw

Lynn Acton
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
I bought a 12 in Ridgid sliding miter saw when it was on sale during the holidays because I always wanted a slider. I sold my Dewalt model 706 which was a great saw probably to soon. I went to cutting 45 degree miters on the ridgid on some test pieces and found out the indexs where off. I found out the indexs where nonadjustable. So I will be taking this saw back. Do you have any recommendations on better saw (excluding Festool to exspensive) The only ones I have seen with adjustable indexs is Dewalt and Milwaukee. I would do the miters on the tablesaw but some of wood is 6 to 8 foot long. Thanks for any help Lynn

Prashun Patel
01-21-2009, 12:08 PM
The Bosch and makita sliders get good marks.

Archie England
01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Why the slider version? Okay, I back away from criticizing any of our wants vs. needs!!! That's not the nature of my question. Do you own other good means for crosscutting your wood? If so, then I highly recommend the best CMS you can afford. For me, that's the Bosch or the Dewalt. I bought the Bosch on an add price matching that made it verrrry affordable.

I don't like the aggressive nature of the RAS or SCMS when they have positive rake blades. This tends to make me brake as I cut rather pull. I'm too fond of my fingers to want a saw blade format that will grab and pull the wood into the blade. Stationary blades are scary enough for me.

Lots of luck with your purchase. Stick with Bosch, Dewalt, and Makita for consistent, long-lasting winners!

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Lynn, usually the fence is the adjustment. If it is cutting a true 90 and the 45 cuts are still off, take the saw back. If the Ridged bandsaw I just put together for my brother is the norm, you may want to take it back anyway. I would be ashamed if I sold a tool like that.

I consider the Hitachi 10" slide the best bang for the buck right now, and I also have a Makita 12, a Delta 12 and a Dewalt 12. If you don't need the depth of cut the 8 1/4" Hitachi is a proven workhorse, and they can be found for less money.

Lynn Acton
01-21-2009, 2:44 PM
I do need a scms because shelfing and cabinets I make. Larry, the ridgid does cut a perfect 90. Thanks again Lynn

Kelvin Penner
01-21-2009, 3:31 PM
When it comes down to chop saw everyone has a different opinion. My co-worker has the 12" sliding Dewalt and loves it, for me I use the Hitachi 10” sliding compound. I’ve been a long user of Hitachi and feel they are about the best that’s out there right now. Milwaukee has a new sliding compound out there worth having a look; it has received some good reviews.

Good luck with your hunt.

Kelvin

Matthew Voss
01-21-2009, 3:51 PM
If I was in the market for a new saw, I would go with that new Milwaulkee without a second thought.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-21-2009, 7:20 PM
Not sure about the Milwaukee since it's made by the same folks that made the Ridgid...I'd go with Makita or Bosch.