PDA

View Full Version : New Dozuki Saw User Help

Matt Woessner
01-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Hello,
I received a very nice dozuki saw for my b-day from lee valley. I was wondering since it only cuts on the pull does anyone take the saw out of the kerf on the pull stoke to keep the teeth sharp? Any other tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim Sgrazzutti
01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
You don't need to take the saw out of the kerf, just make sure there's only light pressure on the return stroke. Don't use too much pressure on the pull stroke either - let the saw do the cutting. You may need to experiment to see what helps you cut a straight line. For me, while having my index finger extended works great on western saws, I've found that I can't cut straight with a pull saw without having my thumb extended instead.

Matt Woessner
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Tim,
Thanks for the info, I wanted to make sure I did not screw up the saw. I noticed last night when I used it for the first time it is something a guy will have to get used to. Thanks again.

Michael Faurot
01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I received a very nice dozuki saw for my b-day from lee valley. I was wondering since it only cuts on the pull does anyone take the saw out of the kerf on the pull stoke to keep the teeth sharp?

I'm guessing you meant to write push stroke. Definitely don't lift it out of the kerf on the push/return stroke. No need for that, plus it would make it more difficult to saw a straight line if you're pulling once, lifting it out, fiddling with it to get it back in the kerf, etc. Just a simple pull to cut, push it back, repeat.