PDA

View Full Version : Taking delivery of jointer ???

Ed Gibbons
01-21-2009, 8:15 AM
I will be taking delivery of an 8 inch jointer this Friday via UPS freight. The truck will have a lift gate on it. The cargo will come in two boxes. One will weight around 150 lbs, no problem. The other, 300. I plan on only moving jointer into my gararge which in down the end of my long driveway...which, the tractor trailer will not be able to navigate. QUESTION: How many people will I need to get the heavier box onto the furniture dolly?

Thanks.

Ed Howe
01-21-2009, 8:26 AM
When I've had freight delivered by UPS, it has come on a large truck with a lift gate, not a tractor trailer. Depending on your driver (and driveway), he might be able to get it closer to your garage and bring it in via their hand cart. Good luck!

Sonny Edmonds
01-21-2009, 8:31 AM
That would be very relevant to your skill levels at moving heavy objects.
I wouldn't need any help myself.

You don't lift it. You simply rock it far enough to get the dolly as far under it as possible, then rock it up onto the dolly.
(You are using a dolly, right? Not an appliance dolly?)
If you are using an appliance dolly, merely put the strap around the box with the shoe under the center of mass of the 300# load and tighten the two together.
One other person to push/pull would be of benefit.

I hauled home a 350 pound band saw and unloaded it alone out of my pick-up bed. I drug it out on the tailgate until I had the center of gravity, then slowly rocked it over until the base touched the ground and stood it up. Then walked it into the shop for uncrating.

Larry Rasmussen
01-21-2009, 8:51 AM
I just took delivery of one of the Jet floor standing mortise machines- two boxes on a palate held down with clear plastic wrap at 295#. The lift gate was on a truck and trailer rig. The driver took a palate jack, got the load in place, backed up for a running start and ran it up my 35' driveway which is a fairly steep hill going up to the garage. I pushed with him towards the end.

Last year I tied my 15" planer on a palate to the frame of my Corolla with an old climbing rope and pulled it along and up into the garage. It would depend whether you measure your driveway in feet or miles and if it's flat.

Before the arrival of the Mortise machine I was looking a various carts and dolly's at Grizzly (close enough to go pick one up) but elected to buy the lift gate option instead. If there are no hills you could get or make an over size cart or dolly that will drop forward to a 4 wheeled cart and have the driver lower the jointer onto it.

So a couple real amateur ideas, good luck,
Larry R,
Seattle

Gary Herrmann
01-21-2009, 8:55 AM
As folks have said, you can rock the heavier box onto your dolly on your own. Put a bungee on it in case you slip while you're wheeling it in. Call a friend to help if it makes you feel better, but they won't have to do much.

Doug Shepard
01-21-2009, 9:05 AM
I never dealt with UPS Freight but both liftgate deliveries I had from FedEx Freight and whoever Minimax uses (I forget) rolled the stuff right to my garage. The FedEx truck was smaller and backed right up to it, and lowered it on a pallet jack to the ground, and rolled it inside. The other carrier had to park in the street but pallet jacked it right to my garage door. He would have rolled it inside for me but it wouldn't clear heightwise by about 2".

Mark Grotenhuis
01-21-2009, 9:21 AM
When I had my grizzly jointer delivered by ups freight, I was 100% sure he was going to have to drop it off at the street for me. I have a 600' winding gravel driveway surrounded by very tall trees on both sides. Much to my amazement he somehow backed the semi down the entire thing and unloaded it at my garage door. I should have took photos, it was amazing. Don't underestimate those drivers, they're crafty :)

Ted Shrader
01-21-2009, 9:37 AM
Ed -

My experience, exactly:
I never dealt with UPS Freight but both liftgate deliveries I had from FedEx Freight and whoever Minimax uses (I forget) rolled the stuff right to my garage. The FedEx truck was smaller and backed right up to it, and lowered it on a pallet jack to the ground, and rolled it inside. The other carrier had to park in the street but pallet jacked it right to my garage door. He would have rolled it inside for me but it wouldn't clear heightwise by about 2".You will need help getting the jointer up on the base after you get everything uncrated. I used an engine hoist. A couple of strong friends would do it also.

Congratulations - and don't forget the pictures! (And tip the driver!)

Ted

NICK BARBOZA
01-21-2009, 9:53 AM
WHen i got my SawStop (w/o wings attached, 300-400lbs) into my basement, we had 4 guys. I would think 3 people could wrestle that onto the dolly without too much trouble.

My worry in your situation is the driveway. that is a steep hill... and i would hate to see that brandy new jointer down in the neighbors yard. i would be very careful of the thing taking off on you. just make sure your out of the way!

Good luck,
Nick

Scott Wigginton
01-21-2009, 9:58 AM
I will be taking delivery of an 8 inch jointer this Friday via UPS freight. The truck will have a lift gate on it. The cargo will come in two boxes. One will weight around 150 lbs, no problem. The other, 300. I plan on only moving jointer into my gararge which in down the end of my long driveway...which, the tractor trailer will not be able to navigate. QUESTION: How many people will I need to get the heavier box onto the furniture dolly?

Thanks.

Sounds like similar specs to the G0490 I got in Nov. You should be able to get it onto the dolly by yourself, but will need one friend or hoist to help you lift it onto the base (I moved mine easily with a friend but we were going from the back of a pickup so didn't have to lift it from the ground). Good luck and send pics!

Ed Gibbons
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
"My worry in your situation is the driveway. that is a steep hill... and i would hate to see that brandy new jointer down in the neighbors yard. i would be very careful of the thing taking off on you. just make sure your out of the way!"

Nick,
That is also my concern...gravity can be a "_itch." Maybe I can get some C____am U____ed kids over....nope don't think that will ever happen. Ed Jr. is not in town so I will be on my own. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the encouragement.

Mr. G

Paul Johnstone
01-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks.

It depends. I was able to lift the bed of my DJ-20 with a brother helping.
I agree with the other poster, get a friend, you will need his help lifting the bed on to the base.

Also, put the jointer base on the mobile base (if you have one) before putting the bed on. :lol: I know that sounds obvious, but it can be forgotten in the heat of the moment.

Anthony Whitesell
01-21-2009, 2:15 PM
Two options:

1. If the truck has a pallet jack (most do), raise the crate as high as possible with the jack and place the dolly under it then lower. You may have to lift from one end so the jack can be removed. If you do this in the back of the truck, You can then roll it on the dolly onto the lift gate, down to the ground, and up the driveway.

2. Place the crate on the lift gate and lower the gate such that it is just high than the dolly, then slid the crate off the gate and on to the dolly.

Rob Damon
01-21-2009, 3:48 PM
As many have stated, if they deliver with a pallet jack, the drivers are usually very experience and helpful. And the more they help the better the tip you should consider. All of the tools I had bought to this point, I picked up at local Woodcraft with my 5'x8' utility trailer and unloaded with engine lift and moved around with my pallet jack and hand truck (tools weighing between 375 lbs and 800 lbs).

The last tool I bought went through Toolnut and had it delivered last Friday by Old Dominion Freight.

I have a paved driveway (200') that leads back to my shop building. I was expecting a smaller truck with liftgate that could back up right to the building. Instead a semi shows up with a lift gate and the driver stops in the middle of the road to unload it. The main road is asphalt pavement and there is a 20' section of crush run gravel between the street and my driveway (County easement drainage ditch).

I figured I was in deep trouble if he just dropped it in the middle of the street. I had no way of getting it across the gravel. Instead he got a good rolling start, went right over the gravel and down the 200' driveway and up into the shop building. The crate had a dual-drum sander that had a shipping weight of 830 lbs. He made it look like a piece a cake. I gave him a nice tip.

I found out he was the local driver for ODFL deliveries in this area. I ask him about lift gate deliver of a panelsaw ( crate= 122"L x 86" H x 42" D, 500#), he said no problem, order it, I can get out of the truck and back into your shop no problem.

These guys (and gals) pickup and deliever this stuff day in and day out, and routinely handle things alot heavier than 300#. For me 300# is nothing to handle or move around, but if you are uncomfortable about getting it safely into your building, suggest a good tip is waiting if they help you getting in your shop.

Rob

Don Morris
01-21-2009, 7:41 PM
I got my 8" jointer in two packages like yours. The delivery truck had no lift gate and we slid the heavy part down two long 2 X 8 boards (from a recent home renovation: prior planning). Once on the ground, it was relatively easy to get it onto my hand truck. Getting it up my slight hill driveway (10yds) was a little bit of a problem but over the one step into my basement was the next hardest. The absolute hardest was getting it onto the mobile base. I don't think I could have done that by myself. If I had to, I'd rent a hand truck with arms. I've done that years ago to lift a large TV (250lbs) up to a shoulder height recess over a fireplace (not mine). Then just slid it into the recess after making all the connections which fed into a tube that ran down the backside of the recess into the basement and back up to the components (nice wireless look). Or check out renting an engine hoist. The hand truck with arms might be a little more versatile. Serve beer nuts and pizza as four or six hands make it a lot easier with a lot more peace of mind.

Thad McCulloch
01-21-2009, 8:23 PM
I slid my G0490 jointer down the basement stairs on a sled which rode on two 2x12's fastened end-to-end and lifted it onto the base using a chain hoist attached to a steel I-beam running across my shop ceiling. The chain hoist let me do the lifting & base attachment by myself; the wife helped pay out a winch while I controlled the slide down the stairs. Did have to rotate the unit 90 deg once I got to the bottom of the stairs, but that wasn't too tough since you're picking up less than half the weight in order to turn it. Not looking forward to getting it UP the stairs, though!