PDA

View Full Version : Tips for buying used power tools (esp. a jointer)?

jeff begin
01-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Something that I think would make a great sticky would be tips for buying used power tools for us newbies looking to get started on the cheap(er).

For example, I've been combing Craigslist for a jointer. But I've never even used one, much less maintained one. So I don't know what to check for. Worn or damaged knives obviously would be something worth inspecting, but do I need to be concerned about checking the fence or other mechansims? Can you recommend any questions I could ask the seller over email or the phone before I make a two hour drive?

Joe Chritz
01-21-2009, 1:08 AM
Actually the knives are only a small point if at all. A sharpening will fix almost all dull knives.

If you are handy and have some fine measuring tools you need to check the runout of the cutter head, the flatness of the tables (independently) and if the tables are coplaner. Check to see if the fence is straight and flat across the surface. The are adjustable for angle so being 90 to the table is an adjustment, although it should be 90 (or whatever angel) on both ends of the fence.

In general the overall condition of the saw is important to check out. Turn the cutter head by hand, run it and listen for squeels and the like. Often a bad bearing can be replaced for dirt cheap and knocks a ton off the cost.

Good luck

Joe

Todd Solomon
01-21-2009, 1:28 AM
Something that I think would make a great sticky would be tips for buying used power tools for us newbies looking to get started on the cheap(er).

For example, I've been combing Craigslist for a jointer. But I've never even used one, much less maintained one. So I don't know what to check for. Worn or damaged knives obviously would be something worth inspecting, but do I need to be concerned about checking the fence or other mechansims? Can you recommend any questions I could ask the seller over email or the phone before I make a two hour drive?

Hi Jeff, One thing that really helped me was to take an introductory hands-on woodworking class. I learned the proper way to surface lumber, make joints, use hand and power tools, Etc. But I also gained a good understanding of what to look for in the tools. If there are any woodworking schools in your area, I would highly recommend a class. Alternatively, there are lots of articles and books on the basic tools to outfit a shop, and how to use them.

Mark Duginske has a great book on woodworking machinery. It'll teach you how to inspect and set up your tools...

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/mastering-woodworking-machines-mark-duginske-070136.html

Scott Rollins
01-21-2009, 6:45 AM
My local woodcraft had a great class I took several years a go. I still use what I learned there. As far as jointers go the you have a motor (rarely is there a problem here), a cutterhead (only the bearing can go bad or replace/sharpen knives). and last but not least the tables. I would check that the tables move up and down smoothly then check to see if they are co-planar with a good straight edge (some people use a long level). I never buy any tool without turning it on first and trying it out. The owner is trying to sell the item and should offer advise on use if you are unfamiliar.

John Eaton
01-21-2009, 6:58 AM
One thing to check and this'll sound obvious once stated - the edges of cast iron equipment - if there are cracks or chunks missing it's often an indicator that it was dropped, knocked over or hit with something (like a forklift if the tool came out of a production shop) - when something has been impacted hard enough to do something to the casting there's a lot of potential for other problems (look for stress around mounting/bolt holes, etc).

-- John