PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this mystery tool...

Ross Ellis
01-20-2009, 11:54 PM
My neighbor was giving me a hand resawing some oak and broke out with a fairly strange looking device. It was a wood block, with a handle sticking up. On the bottom was a magnet used to stick it to the table saw table. On the sides of it were 3 plastic tabs. 2 came off the sides and were used like a feather board. The 3rd was on the back and turned so you could pop the device off the table saw. I asked him what it was called and he said he couldn't remember. He had gotten at a woodworking show in the 70's. I looked it over and it originally had black writing on the handle.. I could only make out the word "guide"... I'd love to get one of these.. I have looked at Woodcraft...with no luck.

I can get pictures this coming weekend when I get home if no one recognizes it from the description...

Jamie Buxton
01-21-2009, 12:16 AM
It is a magnetic featherboard. The magnets hold it to the table. The plastic fins sticking out the sides push the work toward the table and the fence. That wood version, I believe, is no longer made. The newest and coolest version of the device is made by Magswitch (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5970). By turning the knobs, you turn on and off the magnetic connection to the table.

Joe Chritz
01-21-2009, 1:05 AM
Indeed. Those magnetic bases, even the cheap ones take a Gorilla and two elephants to remove if you don't turn them off. I have one for my indicator but no feather boards yet. I really need to pick up a couple.

Joe

John Gornall
01-21-2009, 1:15 AM
Probably a Grip-tite - used to be made of wood - plastic now - Lee Valley has them

Ross Ellis
01-21-2009, 1:24 PM
Probably a Grip-tite - used to be made of wood - plastic now - Lee Valley has them

Bingo. That's just what I was looking for. Will order one now.

Thanks for all the responses.