PDA

View Full Version : In need of some Inspiration

Greg Bender
01-20-2009, 8:20 PM
I noticed over the weekend that I 'm in a slump.All my recently turned bowls are looking alot like all the other bowls I have been turning. I need a recommendation for a book or books that you might look through when you need a new idea or design to turn.I have turning blanks half way to the ceiling and need some new ideas.I am self taught so a book with some tutorials or general info on technique used probably would not hurt either.My bowls come out good but after looking at the posts on the site and seeing what everybody is doing ,I get the feeling that I'm turning the best looking firewood I've ever turned.Basically,I'm in need of some creative input!Fire at will.
Greg

Tom Hamilton
01-20-2009, 8:25 PM
Richard Raffin's The Art of the Turned Bowl and 500 Wood Bowls should be helpful. Amazon has both.

Also, cruise the AAW forum and some of the local turning club web site. Most have galleries loaded with photos of form.

Enjoy the search and the turning, Tom

Curt Fuller
01-20-2009, 9:12 PM
I've never been a fan of "how to" books about woodturning with the exception of learning the basics on tool use and safety. I feel that following someone else's method and style in a book often results in us becoming clones of that person, at least in our turning style. But this is one book I have purchased and have gotten tons of inspiration from. There are very brief explanations of the basic process and materials but it mostly leaves the fun part, figuring out how to do it, up to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Forms-Materials-John-Hunnex/dp/1861083556/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232503418&sr=1-26

It goes into many shapes, forms, textures, alternative materials, etc.

Dean Thomas
01-20-2009, 9:37 PM
Tom gave you my best two resources. In Raffan's book, he has oodles of profiles and variations on those profiles. Great book for contemplating shape.

There are a couple of books on pottery design that you might find in a college library or in a potter's library. I don't have names, sorry, but the couple that I've seen are very detailed on why shapes work for potters' vessels and why others don't. Aesthetically and practically which is why I think they're so good. Might have been John Jordan who spoke that out loud...

The 500 book will take you from classic and ethereal to amazing, "how'd they do that" moments. The pix are great, the forms are carefully selected from some of the world's very best turners and artisans.

Greg Just
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Try your local library. I know mine has quite a few books and DVD's on woodturning.

Burt Alcantara
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
"New Masters of Woodturning," not a how-to but a collection of woodturning artist. A gorgeous book.

"The Art of Turned Bowls," as recommended by others. Not quite a how-to but an excellent guide to what goes into creating interesting turnings.

Then, to me, the most inspirational book on woodturning that I've come across. "Ellsworth on Woodturning," by David Ellsworth. This is the definitive how-to on every aspect of woodturning. This book has turned me upside down and pretty much inspired me to buy a Mustard Monster (I almost pulled the trigger on the Robust).

It has answered many riddles, doubts and problems I've encountered as a new turner. I have yet to get through the entire book but have read many sections multiple times.

If there was only one book, DVD, class or any bit of information that I was allowed to keep for the rest of my life it would be this book!

I guess you can that tell that I like it.
Burt

Jeff Nicol
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
If you have a piece mirror that you can take a piece of paper and draw a shape of a bowl you like. Just draw one half and hold it up to the mirror and it will show what the whole bowl will look like. Then you can take it and slide it along the side and see where it looks best. You can draw 100s of squiggles until you find the one you like. It is a start but you still have to turn them one find the ones you like. Make a small one out of scraps and see if it is what you planned.

Hope it helps,

Jeff

Tom Wilson66
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Go somewhere that sells/displays pottery and glass bowls. You will find a lot of very good designs that might inspire your imagination.

alex carey
01-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Check the forums constantly, you will get inspiration from other peoples work. I know I do.

Alex

Dewey Torres
01-21-2009, 12:40 AM
I've never been a fan of "how to" books about woodturning with the exception of learning the basics on tool use and safety. I feel that following someone else's method and style in a book often results in us becoming clones of that person, at least in our turning style. But this is one book I have purchased and have gotten tons of inspiration from. There are very brief explanations of the basic process and materials but it mostly leaves the fun part, figuring out how to do it, up to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Forms-Materials-John-Hunnex/dp/1861083556/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232503418&sr=1-26

It goes into many shapes, forms, textures, alternative materials, etc.

What is good for Curt is good for me....

Put that sucker on order right away. Back before I joined the Navy as a big guitar enthusiast I noted the same thing about budding musicians. The best ones always studied only enough to know each technique that interested them and then moved on until they learned what was needed for ORIGINAL expressions. I see turning and woodworking in general as no exception.

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2009, 7:44 AM
Greg - what is it that you see in the turnings of others that you don't see in yours? Think about what makes a turning exceptional - then try to recreate that. Not advocating outright copying but work towards those aspects you have already noticed. This all part of growing as a turner. Eventually you will find a style that you really like doing - and then you will modify it just a bit and make it your own!

Hey - have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Jim Kountz
01-21-2009, 8:05 AM
I sometimes do a google search for bowl, vase, urn, platter etc. You get all kinds (too many really) of results.

Michael Mills
01-21-2009, 9:16 AM
For design ideas you may also try
www.woodturningdesign.info (http://www.woodturningdesign.info)
or www.woodturner.org (http://www.woodturner.org) (AAW) then resources then Keith Tomkins.
A google search will also lead you to many articles on the Golden Mean or Golden Ratio.
Michael

Peter Lamb
01-21-2009, 9:51 AM
Greg,
Try your local library. Scan books on historical forms, wood , pottery, class going back to the Egyptions both utilitarian and decorative.
PETER

Roger Wilson
01-21-2009, 11:33 AM
I noticed over the weekend that I 'm in a slump.All my recently turned bowls are looking alot like all the other bowls I have been turning. I need a recommendation for a book or books that you might look through when you need a new idea or design to turn.

Turned Bowl Design by Richard Raffan is a good book dealing with designing and decorating bowls.

Check the AAW galleries. Lots and lots of quality photos of an amazing variety of stuff from simple turnings to exotic art/sculpture.

One thing you can do as you read the various forums is save or print off a copy of the pictures of turnings you like or find interesting in some way. You end up with a printed loose leaf folder or Word file idea book. Over time it will help you decide what kind of stuff you like and help you experiment with new ideas.

Mount some wood on the lathe and instead of trying to do what you've already done, just start making curves. Let the force be with you. You are sure to come out with something different then you've been doing.

All the suggestions on looking at pottery both modern and ancient are very good as well.

Goto Smartflix.com (search turning) and rent a couple of turning videos. A number of them cover a wide range of projects that should help free up your thinking.

Goto YouTube search under Woodturning and look at some of the videos. A number cover specific artists or symposiums.

Check out some of David Marks Woodworks shows or dvds (diy network). He has a very artistic bent even when doing flat work.

Goto The Woodworking Channel and under videos | IWF check out the videos. A good number of turners show how they do a lot of unusual stuff.

Stop turning for a month and do other stuff. Let your mind focus on other projects. I know it's blasphemy but .....

Neal Addy
01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
You don't need a book. Just spend a few hours (or days) going through the sites on this list (http://www.turningwood.com/artists.htm). There's enough eye candy there to inspire anybody!

Ted Calver
01-21-2009, 12:06 PM
+1 for the 500 bowls book...lots of inspiration there. Also get somebody to invite you to WOW...lots of artsy turnings there

David Pearson
01-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Greg - Love your avatar. Go Steelers!!

Burt Alcantara
01-21-2009, 6:44 PM
Neal,
Now you went and did it! Got sucked into that site. Will not emerge for a month!

Great stuff there!!!
Burt

Neal Addy
01-21-2009, 10:04 PM
LOL! Sorry Burt.

If you get through those take a crack at this list (http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/laymar_crafts-links.htm). With over 3,800 listings there's enough to keep you busy for years.

Bon appetit!

Greg Bender
01-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Well Thanx for the great feedback,bought the 500 book right after Christmas and forgot I had it.Hit it last nite and checked out the link that Neal sent,There are a few or 20 ideas on that site for sure.I hit the local library on the way home this evening and was surprised how many Richard Raffan books they had.The librarian said they were real popular,I had to get on a list for a couple of them.I guess if this does not get me going I will just have to buy a Scroll Saw.:D Kidding!!!Thanx Again,
Greg

curtis rosche
01-22-2009, 10:15 AM
i will vouch for the New Masters of Woodturning, book. it shows many works and tells where the artist got their inspiration from. even if it doesnt help it is an amazing book

Alan Huey
01-27-2009, 1:40 AM
all the above. Anywhere that you can view forms gives you ideas, but not necessarily the "how to". A tremendous amount of inspiration and ideas comes from this forum alone for me. This group really turns out a lot of great and beautiful work.