PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my tired Dewalt equipment

Phil Green
01-20-2009, 8:07 PM
Like everybody else who works with battery powered tools, eventuallly they start to show their age. I have an 18v drill and trimsaw that no longer have much power and the batteries don't keep a charge. I've found sources to upgrade the batteries, now I need help with the tools.

I don't trust my DeWalt service center guys. They have this deal where they promise to rebuild your tool withing a range of X to Y dollars. They say most times the rebuild is closer to the lower price. I had one rebuilt and don't you know the bill was just pennies under their maximum rebuild price!

Remember if you walk into a room and can't tell who the sucker is,.... it's probably you!

Is there someone on the forum you guys could recommend I talk to or a website to visit before I attempt multiple rebuilds? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Phil

Chris True
01-20-2009, 8:35 PM
How much are the batteries going to cost you? By the time you pay for batts + parts you might be better off to buy a new set and toss the old ones.

Phil Green
01-20-2009, 9:14 PM
I'm momentarily blanking on the name of the firm, but they are out of Ohio and do rebuilds with premium batteries for about 80% of new.

Completely rebuild, better than stock performance and cheaper than new. I like that.

Phil

Found it! www.voltmanbatteries.com (http://www.voltmanbatteries.com) (Don't know if they are any good, have not sent my batteries yet.)

Jim Summers
01-20-2009, 9:41 PM
I used the local interstate battery store for my batteries. It was like having a new drill. They did two battery packs for the cost of one new one.

I don't have any recommendations for actually rebuilding the tool itself.

HTH

Bruce Wrenn
01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Jason Able, over at Battery Rebuilders is often a poster here and at other forums. They now go by the name MTO. Those who have had him rebuild their batteries have been well pleased with his work.

Dave Falkenstein
01-21-2009, 12:44 AM
I had a Dewalt drill/driver rebuilt by the local Dewalt Service Center. The price was reasonable (way less than a new one) and they replaced just about everything other than the case. The drill/driver is better than it was when new.

Jason Abel at MTO Battery, a member here, is great to work with on rebuilding batteries.

John Bush
01-21-2009, 12:44 AM
I just sent 2 Dewalt 18v and 3 Makita 9.6v in for rebuild. $37 for 18v NiCAD, $24 for 9.6 NiCAD, and 1 9.6 NiMH for $46. I thought I would try one NiMH to see if it is that much better, and by upgrading one I passed the $150 free shipping mark so the upgrade is a push.

My Makita is ~ 15 y.o., so I imagine as soon as I invest in new batteries, the drill will poop out!!!

I sent to Jason at Battery Builders/MTO Batteries. I emailed him ????'s and he emailed back the same day with info I needed.

www.mtobattery.com (http://www.mtobattery.com/)

Ken Milhinch
01-21-2009, 12:51 AM
I have been more than a little disappointed with DeWalt 18V batteries, so much so that I am currently selling all my Dewalt 18V tools except the trim nailer.

John Eaton
01-21-2009, 6:54 AM
I use MTO as well - very satisfied with their rebuilds.

-- John

Phil Green
01-21-2009, 2:54 PM
Appreciate the battery input, but does anyone have idea's other than the Dewalt guys on rebuilding their equipment.

Is there anyone on the forum who I might contact for help?? Any other firms or websites that do rebuilds?

Thanks,
Phil