PDA

View Full Version : Delta DJ-20 Jointer

Ned Ladner
01-20-2009, 8:00 PM
This jointer is listed on Craigslist for $1000. It's 7 years old and made in the USA. This price seems high. Your thoughts?

Rob Cooper
01-20-2009, 8:07 PM
There currently is one on Raleigh's CL for $850.

Dave Malen
01-20-2009, 8:11 PM
DJ 20s are nice jointers. I've had one for 10 years with no problems. I checked amazon and they had them new for 1150 + shipping. International tool has a different model of the same machine for about 1800. Not sure why the big price difference. But if the cheaper one is the real thing then your craiglist deal doesn't look so good. Also looks like a handle at the back which locks down the fence is missing in the pic.

Dave

David Eisan
01-20-2009, 8:24 PM
The base/motor/switch for that machine is made in the USA and is labeled as such. But if you ask the seller to check the tag on the casting, you will find the top was made in Taiwan.

Just pointing out....

David.

Mark Berenbrok
01-20-2009, 9:41 PM
There'e one on the Asheville NC CL for $450.

CPeter James
01-20-2009, 9:45 PM
David is correct. I know because I have one that is that way. If you do buy a DJ20, check the motor mount and drive pulley installation. I have seen 3 that had the motor mount in backwards. It is almost, but not quite symmetrical and if put in reversed, the motor pulley is installed too far out on the motor shaft and will have a short life. I have seen this happen. The rim of the pulley should be tight up against the motor.

CPeter

Paul Johnstone
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
There are two kinds of DJ-20.. there is the X5 version and the "A" version.
As far as I know, the only difference is that the X5 version has the extensive warranty. I have the "A" model. It's fine. Sometimes the "A" model is much cheaper.

I think $1000 is a bit high, but not totally outrageous. I'd wait a week or two and then ask him if it's still available. He may be more motivated to move on the price after it sits for awhile.

Dwain Lambrigger
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
I second Paul's thoughts. This does seem high, especially in this market. Keep looking, You may want to broaden your search. I think a DJ 20 is an excellent machine, but you can do better. Give it a couple of weeks and see if the cost goes down. If it is sold, don't worry, you will find another for sale, and probably cheaper.

Good luck.

John Thompson
01-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Agree on too high... wait...

Sarge..

Chip Lindley
01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I gave $675 for my DJ20 at auction in June '07. I thought that was quite a GLOAT! The $800-$900 range seems about right for these. BUT, of course you are paying for the DELTA name also. These machines maintain their resale value somewhat more than Grizzly, etc. Consider, too, that currently there is a glut of used machinery for sale, due to economic climate. It's a Buyers Market right now in most respects.

If it's close by, insist on seeing it in-person! Do your homework, and check out the machine thoroughly! (under power if at all possible) After all, its Your $$$! With used machinery, its *Condition, Condition, Condition!* A machine for $400 may or may not have been sitting in a chicken coop for the past 5 years!!

A *good deal* is not such a good deal if you must have it shipped! Consider the Freight on any machine purchased outside your local area! It's EXPENSIVE for a large, heavy machine!

Consider HOW BADLY you want that machine NOW! It does not hurt to offer less NOW!! Offer $800 CASH RIGHT NOW! and see what happens. Many list their machinery at an inflated price just hoping some needy tool guy will *BITE*. Good Luck!

Douglas Brummett
01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Many list their machinery at an inflated price just hoping some needy tool guy will *BITE*. Good Luck!

No way, I offer my tools at the high end of the resale spectrum because I know right out of the gate that someone will low-ball me by 20-50% :cool:

Larry Fox
01-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I have one that I bought for $650 from a fellow Creeker and it has been rock-solid every time I go to it. I think $1000 is high for that machine.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I have one myself and mine was made in Brasil? Who knows?

Anyway...... I was looking at the pictures closely, and comparing it to mine that has been used to rough out thousands apon thousands of BF of rough lumber, and that one looks a lot worse for the wear than mine. Could just be that I am picky, but it could just be that they are not.

And the price is too high. That price is for one in an old mans garage that has seen little use, and I do not believe this is tha case here.

I would pass.

jason lambert
01-21-2009, 3:04 PM
Steel city is the same jointer I think maybe even built in the same plant and they can be had for 1100 ish new. You pay for the DJ20 name it is a good machine but used I would say about $600. Of course that depends on location and what someone is willing to pay for it.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-21-2009, 4:31 PM
I was going to say it looks remarkably identical to my new grizzly 490x. castings, fence, clipped corners on the tables, handles on the adjustments...

1000 bucks seems too high. The person probably paid premium dollars 7 years ago - weren't the parallel beds just coming out?

Man, 6 or 700 bucks would be an awesome price. Show up w/ cash in hand and see if he bites on 700.

Frederick Rowe
01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
I bought a used DJ-20 about the same vintage - David's right, not made in the US - and once the tables are set it has been rock steady and runs like a horse. Paid $700. So, I'd offer less than $1,000. There are lots of these machines around.

On a related note, the most important thing to look for in this or any jointer, is the flatness of the tables and fence. This is the time to buy or borrow a 36" straight edge. A jointer may look cherry, only to have a .015" crown in one of the tables. You'll be making banana shaped boards for a week before you figure it out. The fence is less important, but I'd be picky nonetheless.

John Callahan
01-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Afaik the DJ20 has never been made in the US- Invicta in Brazil at first and later production was shifted to the Far East. However the base cabinet was made in the US for a time- don't know if they still are.