PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomlishments....

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2004, 7:08 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone.!!

Oncall time is about over now. And I'm GLAD it's about over. Haven't been to bed for any real amount of time since Friday night. These all-nighters and all-dayers are getting to me more and more. I just ain't as young as I used to be.!! ;)

Well....you KNOW what I did this weekend.

What about you? Shop time? Yard work time? Family time?

Everyone's weekend just HAD to of been better than mine.!!!!

Best of weeks.....

Jack Wood
06-28-2004, 7:48 AM
Dennis it's just a fact of life, were getting too old for that stuff! As the saying goes, "it now takes me all night to do what I use to do all night:rolleyes: " I was on the road on business so I didn't have any time to get in the shop:( Hope to this week, but it's looking busy also. So much to do and so little time or money to do them!:)

Keith Starosta
06-28-2004, 8:06 AM
I spent the better part of the weekend prepping for, and installing a 36"x45' retaining wall in the backyard next to the pool. I have about 13 hours into it already, with maybe two more to go (I ran out of bricks about 40 shy of where I needed to be). One of the things I learned while doing this is just how much your eyes play tricks on you. What your eye tells you is level (down at ground-level anyway) tends to be NOWHERE NEAR actual level! :eek: While researching different techniques as to how to put one of these things up (it was my first), the one prevailing thought was to get your entire base layer placed and completely level, then move on. Boy, was that a great piece of advice. Once the bottom row was in, the rest was just "playing with legos", as my wife said. :)

Anyway, here's a pic of my handiwork. It was hard work, but very rewarding! Next up is the deck. :rolleyes:

Keith

Kelly C. Hanna
06-28-2004, 8:26 AM
Here's what I did besides cleaning up the yard and trying to get the shop back in shape...

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/mirror.html

Ken Fitzgerald
06-28-2004, 8:36 AM
Traveled on Saturday arriving home late Saturday night. Because my old body had adjusted to CDT, I awoke at 0500 CDT which is 0300 PDT. I walked a couple of miles lapping my new shop, shopped for groceries and fixed lunch. About 1230 I sat down following lunch and awoke at 1545! Sunday was gone! Did a few things around the house, unpacking etc. Will probably try to take today off to get somethings done at home and pickup a special order at BORG. I'll try to contact my contractor and see when he thinks he'll finish hauling off the construction debris and finish backfilling around the foundation. I'm sure he wants his final payment. My neighbor and I thoroughly inspected the work he did while I was away and we were both impressed. He didn't cut any corners during my two week absence and he got a lot done! And of course......I'll be back to work!

P.S. Keith .....nice work! I put down around 400 of those a couple of years ago. As you stated, proper placement of the first row is THE MOST important thing. Everything after that just flows!

Byron Trantham
06-28-2004, 8:53 AM
Finished up one phase of a client's project and moved another client's project nearer completion. Mowed and weed wacked the yard. Did some minor wiring and lighting in the sewing room. Assembled a few of the 33 drawers going into the phase 3 sewing table.

Tyler Howell
06-28-2004, 9:20 AM
:cool: Please! speak softly, no power tools today. Great wedding. See post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=79510#post79510
I need the shades so I don't bleed to death.
I'm sorry I lied..... There were 4 guys and 7 women in the limo, 2 of the women acted like they were single.:rolleyes:
Nice ceremony I think. Trip home was a little quieter.
Got some work done in the garden and went to the Rockler TAT.;)
Yes Chris I have pix. But what goes on in the limo stays in the limo.....at least until I get my blackmail $$$.

Jim Becker
06-28-2004, 9:41 AM
Business travel to Hartford on Friday made for a late start to my weekend, but that didn't stop lots of activities.

Saturday entailed some shopping with LOML after a late start and a bit of time in the shop reconstituing cutting board that originally was embedded in our old counter for use at the sink during produce prep. It was in pretty "scummy" condition after many years without proper maintenance. After taking off the old metal mounting channels, I trimmed it down to fit the space it needed to go lengthwise and narrowed it so that I could face joint it and plane it with the FS350. (It's not a piece of cake to put through a planer something that is almost exactly the maximum capacity of the machine...any slight deviation in feed can cause it to jam or miss on the edges) After rounding the corners to match the inside diamter of the sink cutout in the counter, I applied a walnut stop in the front that you can lean on if necessary to keep it in place when cutting. (Our sink is an apron-front) I still need to plug the holes in the walnut that will hide the screws that hold it in place, but the surface is oiled and ready to go. I did make some cuts with the new Adria dovetail saw. It cuts beautifully. The operator, however, needs a lot of practice!

The DVD of the week was Monster...quite a film with amazing acting and makup...although the story apparently varies considerably from the original, real-life incidents in many ways for dramatic effect.

Sunday was pretty much dedictated to helping Dr SWMBO get our old dug well in the front of the house turned into a nice little pond/fountain/birdbath. We've been planning to do this for a couple of years; bought the pond kit over a year ago and finally did the deed! Pic below is what the final product looks like so far. Still to be done is putting some small river stone in the shallow end to...umm...make it shallow so the birdies don't accidentally drown when bathing and aquiring a few aquatic plants. I also have to get proper electric in place as the GFCI extension cord from an outlet "far away" is not an acceptable long-term solution. I'll post some additional photos in the Off-topic forum later on that show the "transformation" from well to pond. LOML also made another wonderful batch of baked beans which were a nice way to cap off the day with some freash local sausage off the grill.

Kurt Aebi
06-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Friday night, I participated in a "Glow-Ball" tournament at the Country Club benefitting the Boys & Girls Club of Springfield (a very good cause indeed). Playing golf at night is a real hoot - my game seems to be much better in the dark! lol, Really, our foursome actually won - we got nice golf umbrellas courtesy of a local bank. Tee'd off at 9:00 PM and played seven holes and we were 1 under par! It was a lot of fun, the fairways and greens were lined with glow sticks and we used golf balls that either blinked when struck or had a small glow stick in the middle. If you get a chance to try this, you gotta it is just too much fun (maybe it was the beer, but it sure was fun).

Made for a late morning Saturday, did some yard work and went shopping - scored on a 14.4 combo set that was on sale for $39.97 it included a drill, jigsaw, mouse-type sander and a drill. I was looking for a light duty cordless drill to use as a drill, not a driver (already got a heavy duty unit for that) and the drill itself was $40.00, si th e combo kit was the right way to go - got more stuff for the same price. It isn't a heavy duty set, but for an evening/weekender it seems just fine.

Sunday, got up with the birdies (usual morning time - 4:45 AM) and got some much needed weeding done in the garden and actually found the green beans! Got an order for an unfinished wishing well (more money for the toyl fund - YEA!!). Got some more blanks ready for turning for Freedom Pens. Called around for SWMBO regarding her Nova Scotia cruise with her mother this fall. She will be out of the house for a week, which should allow me to rip out the walls and sheetrock without hearing about tracking stuff all over the house. So Living room renovations will occur this Sept.

Have a good and safe week!

Andy London
06-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I finally broke down and did some chores for the better half. We lost most of the windows in our sunroom last fall during a hurricane and I finally decided how I wanted to build them this time.

Went with double hung and managed to build and install four over the weekend.....four more to go then I may get a break to do some shop work :rolleyes:

Picked up some Ipe on Friday and started some backyard furniture, interesting wood to work with but I am told it will last a lifetime.

Travis Lanman
06-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Well I didn't get much shop time in but I did buy this bandsaw. It's a Duro 15" made sometime around 1960. 8 1/4" resaw with a 1 HP motor. It is in great shape and only needs new tires a good cleaning to get rid of the dust. Have a great week everyone.
Travis

Tyler Howell
06-28-2004, 11:27 AM
I finally broke down and did some chores for the better half. We lost most of the windows in our sunroom last fall during a hurricane and I finally decided how I wanted to build them this time.

Went with double hung and managed to build and install four over the weekend.....four more to go then I may get a break to do some shop work :rolleyes:

Picked up some Ipe on Friday and started some backyard furniture, interesting wood to work with but I am told it will last a lifetime.
Andy,
Would be very interested in seeing the final product.;)

Shawn Battagler
06-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Drew in the outline of the cherry headboard on the panel I glued up last week. Built an 8' tapering jig to cut the posts. Glued up the rough posts. Planed and cut the post blanks to final size to get ready to taper. Got a sunburn - fell asleep next to my daughter's wading pool.

keith zimmerman
06-28-2004, 11:54 AM
My very short weekend had me spending Saturday sitting at work all day bored out of my mind (I have to be there "just in case" something happens). After work I finished turning my first natural edge bowl (see earlier post w/ pic). Sunday was spent sleeping for the most part, then transfered some wood blanks from my freezer to a cabinet to dry. I also started turning a potpourri bowl in oak. Looking forward to a short work week and a long 5 day holiday weekend for me to spend with LOML in Minneapolis and a possible visit with fellow Creeker Tyler Howell.

keithz

Chris Padilla
06-28-2004, 1:33 PM
Finished (more or less) the cyclone project!! Whoo-hoo!!! :D :D See my final horde of pics on Ed's blower question thread I mercilessly hijacked! :D

Dave Anderson NH
06-28-2004, 2:07 PM
I spent all of both days at Canterbury Shaker Village for the 14th Wood Days Festival. I was allegedly demonstrating making hand tools (a bowsaw) with hand tools, but I didn't accomplish a whole lot. I had too much fun talking with folks about woodworking and hand tools in general. I finally met Matthew Dworman from SMC who only lives two towns away and a bunch of other SMC and Woodcentral folks. I sold a few marking knives and a coupla awls. The highlight for me was selling the first of my newly introduced plane adjusting hammers. I got to BS with Garrett Hack as usual, along with some nice folks from the North Bennett Street School and a group of the regular demonstrators who show up each year. On Sunday we held the first meeting of the new New England Chapter of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers (SAPFM).

Today I'm back at work after a week of vacation, Bummer!!

Scott Coffelt
06-28-2004, 3:11 PM
Shopping with the wife, shopping with the wife and did I mention shopping with the wife?

I also changed out about 13 sets of knob sets, the ones that came with the house were looking pretty beat up on several. Of course the new striker plates were a different size requiring a morticing. We went with curvy handle brushed steel. Really dresses up the place. I ran out since I miscalculated in my head what I needed. So some time this week its off to buy a few more.

Made a batch of jerky in the smoker.

Some yard work before the rains came.

Ed Falis
06-28-2004, 4:23 PM
Cleaned out the office. Unpackaged 6 boxes of stuff that had been sitting around in it for a year. Reduced the under-the-desk wire volume by 1/3.

- Ed

Rich Konopka
06-28-2004, 5:22 PM
Cleaned up the shop and broke up the crates and packing materials on Saturday. Was able to get 4 buddies together for beer and we moved the MM16 into the basement shop and I got the table back on. Yipeee :eek: Did not finish the bookcase because the local Borg did not have the cove molding I needed:(.
Spent Sunday afternoon on the deck catching up on some reading with a cold one.

Dennis Peacock
06-28-2004, 7:04 PM
Made a batch of jerky in the smoker.

OK Scott....you'd better bring some of that GREAT jerky to the BBQ!!!!!!! :D