PDA

View Full Version : Scrapers

Dahl Troy Perry
01-20-2009, 7:36 PM
How do you put the bur on a scraper do you grind and that creates the burr or how what do you do to get the nice burr??:confused:

Scott Conners
01-20-2009, 8:14 PM
I just use the burr off the grinder, and then touch it up as needed 4-5 times with a diamond card by stroking upwards against the bevel before re-grinding. Veritas also makes a burnisher specifically for turning scrapers if you prefer that route - http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=122

scott schmidt grasshopper
01-20-2009, 9:23 PM
first thing I do is take the old burr off by going back and forth with a diamond hone or stone on the top of the scraper, then run it thru the grinder at 60 degrees. you should have a nice burr on the top, when this gets a little worn. i then use the vertisis burnisher putting medium pressure on it . I normally get three reburrings before having to start all over again.
ps my fav round nose scraper is an old craftsman brand 1/2,, go figure

Danny Thompson
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
The short answer is: a burnisher.

Chris Schwarz, the editor of Popular Woodworking, gave a great explanation and demo of card scrapers at last fall's Woodworking in America Conference (the one in Berea, KY). Someone was wise enough to capture it on video. The demo is broken into three parts. You can see them for free at the following link:

http://www.mefeedia.com/tags/card_scrapers

or google: chris schwarz woodworking in america card scraper

Reed Gray
01-21-2009, 1:20 PM
I use the burr from the grinder. I have a set table angle (I don't know what it is, but fairly steep, like 70 degrees or so). First, I dress the top side of the scraper on a diamond stone, then hit the grinder. I do use some force pushing it into the grinding wheel. I have a fairly fine grit (80) wheel, and this leaves a nice sturdy burr for both heavy stock removal, and fine finish shear cuts. I tried burnishing a burr on (can't do it with a round burnisher, but can with a triangle burnisher), and just didn't like the burr from it. Didn't seem to hold up as long. The latest AAW magazine had an article on scraper sharpening, and said the edge that gives the cleanest finish cut is one that starts out by dressing the top of the scraper after grinding, then using a diamond hone on the face to raise a burr. This burr is fairly danity, and is great for finish cuts, but quickly disappears when roughing.
robo hippy