PDA

View Full Version : Basic book?

Larry Edgerton
01-20-2009, 5:24 PM
I have been reading a box of magazines I picked up from a member before I get my old lathe running, and have learned a lot, particularly from some articles in Woodturning by Roger Allen.

But.....

Here is my problem. I have a lot of patience and these mags will be fine, but it is for my uncle that I worry. Like me he is accident prone[read careless]but he does not have the patience to read too much instruction.

I was at his house and the drawer in his lathe cabinet is a Who's Who of what not to do. There were a pile of broken and bent chisels, all of good quality, but all smashed, twisted, bent and generally tortured, some with the handles in splinters. I see he had a new set of Henry Taylors cowering in the corner awaiting their certian fate, death and burial in the drawer of shame....

I am looking for a book, one not too wordy or pretentious for a beginner. He is not stupid by any means, he has become wealthy with his intelect, but is not the most patient person as I have mentioned. So.....

Any recomendations for a book that he will actually read and not just throw on the shelf? He is actually quite creative, and I would hate to see him quit, or worse yet get hurt. He can use the stress relief considering his occupation so I was hoping to help him out.

Thanks, Larry

Frank Townend
01-20-2009, 5:30 PM
While others can chime in with book ideas, I'll add a couple of thoughts.

Find and join your local Woodturner's Club - Lot's of experience, demonstrations by experts, and often hand's-on skill-building classes.
Take a class together - Start learning the right way from the start. WoodCraft and others offer classes.
Watch YouTube Videos - Many videos, from how to prepare a blank, sharping principles, gouge and skew tips, etc.

David Walser
01-20-2009, 5:33 PM
Larry,

I'm not aware of any books on turning that are so engrossing they will cause an impatient man to read them. However there are several good, yet short, videos that might serve. I'd probably start with Alan Lacer's introductory video. Others can recommend their favorite.

If your uncle doesn't have the patience to watch a video, I'd suggest he take a class at the local Woodcraft or Rockler store.

Good luck.

Neal Addy
01-20-2009, 5:38 PM
The best book out there IMO is Keith Rowley's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course". Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Foundation-Course-Keith-Rowley/dp/1861081146/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232490969&sr=8-4

Mike Spanbauer
01-20-2009, 5:49 PM
+1 Neal. That's a great book.

However, as noted, no one without the patience to read a longer book will likely take the time to even read a shorter book and understand the proper technique.

Best bet are some good video's and / or hands on instruction. If he's as bright as you say, a days instruction would easily pay for a set of chisels saved...

G'luck!

mike

Larry Edgerton
01-20-2009, 6:59 PM
Thanks, and any other suggestions are welcome. He is in the North Chicago area and I live in Northern Michigan so I don't know what is available to him, so a book will have to do.

I am lucky, Gary Wiermiller lives just down the road and has been doing all the turnings for my business for a while. He's going to teach me and I am going to help him on his house.

Gary has a HUGE Oliver that he is going to sell if anyone is looking for a BEAST! Not sure how big, but it is big!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-20-2009, 7:32 PM
Larry,

The Keith Rowley book Neal suggested....It is well written and illustrated and is aimed at the beginning turner. I highly recommend it. It was my main source of information when I began turning.

Randy Schaffer
01-20-2009, 7:45 PM
I went to the library and checked out just about every book they had on turning to pick up as much as I could before my lathe arrived.

I found several books by Richard Raffen to be excellent. Great pictures for basic techniques and not all that much reading. I cannot recall the exact titles, but they all seemed quite similar and worth a look. Thumbing through them, the pictures would hook me into studying some of the tool use discussion.

Barry Gross has a basic lathe book too that was well illustrated too. (Lean to Turn...may be the title)

I did not encounter the Rowley book in my library, but it sounds like I may want that one as my reference manual.

I do recommend a trip to your local library.

Curt Fuller
01-20-2009, 9:35 PM
Larry, you uncle sounds a little like me. I like pictures but if I have to read I either get distracted or fall asleep. But I've watched a couple pretty good dvds recently. Strap him in a comfortable recliner, pop up some popcorn, and watch one of the beginner dvds that's available.

Ryan Baker
01-20-2009, 9:44 PM
I agree that a DVD would be a better choice than trying to get him to read through any book -- even a good one. Hands down, my pick for best starting video is "The New Turning Wood with Richard Raffan". (This is the new one recently published, not the older video by the same name.) The companion book would be a good choice for starters if you prefer a book. If you can, spend some time with him learning/practicing together.

David Walser
01-20-2009, 9:48 PM
If you insist on a book, there's this oldie but goodie: A Course In Wood Turning, by A. S. Milton and O. K. Wohlers, published in 1919. It's a high school text book teaching students spindle turning and face turning techniques. The book contains numerous projects, including tool handles, a potato mashers, match boxes, mens collar boxes, candle sticks, lamps (with and without spirals), and many others. Each project is designed to reinforce the techniques being taught in each chapter.

The book is out of print, but it is available on Project Gutenberg. Here's a link: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15460 Be sure to download the HTML version so you'll have access to all the pictures and diagrams. The pictures provide important safety tips. For example, note that when turning at the lathe your tie should be tucked inside your vest (See figure 3).

Randy Schaffer
01-20-2009, 10:05 PM
The Sorby DVD on tools is pretty good too. I nodded off a couple of times as it was playing but overall it was good....I got it free with some tools, but I think you can order it off their site for free also.

Marc Himes
01-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Larry,
If he can afford it a course at Provo, or similar place would be a great way to get started and learn safety as well as technique. If you could join him it would be a fantastic time for both of you. Where are you in Michigan?

Marc in Negaunee about 15 miles west of Steve Schlumpf.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2009, 9:03 AM
Larry,
If he can afford it a course at Provo, or similar place would be a great way to get started and learn safety as well as technique. If you could join him it would be a fantastic time for both of you. Where are you in Michigan?

Marc in Negaunee about 15 miles west of Steve Schlumpf.

I'm in Indian River, only a "Troll" by 30 miles!

I was in Munising last week looking at a job, only about 30 miles from Steve Schlumpf. :)

If I thought I could make a living up there I would already be there, but I can't even get any work here on the Gold Coast right now.

I'm ordering the Rowley book now and having it sent to him. Ironically the librarian here is my sister, and they do not have that book, but they will next week.

Scott Lux
01-21-2009, 9:09 AM
Shouldn't that be "Cold Coast"? :D

robert hainstock
01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Ernie Conover's boo, "The Lathe Book" is also excellant. I too am not a fastidious reader, but this book is a constant help.
Don't move to the UP unless you are independantly wealthy, Or a professional man. We have a saying up here that a BA degree from NMU is sure to get you a job at Shopko. :):eek::)
Bob

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2009, 1:06 PM
Don't move to the UP unless you are independantly wealthy, Or a professional man. We have a saying up here that a BA degree from NMU is sure to get you a job at Shopko. :):eek::)
Bob

We used to have a cabin up in the Hiawatha 13 mi south of Sidnaw. So if you think you guys have it rough, take a drive around up there.

A wealthy person up there is a single mom with four kids.:)