PDA

View Full Version : Auto Focus Issues with the ULS 6.60

Sylvia Mossbrucker
01-20-2009, 1:58 PM
I am using a Universal 6.60 60 Watt laser which is the second laser I've had. I had the 4.60 60 watt first and it had some issues with auto focus, banding and allignment so they sent me another machine. This time around I am still having issues with auto focus, does anyone out there have similar issues with this particular machine? It just seems so astronomical that 2 lasers would have the same issues. Im lasering granite that has about a 32nd of an inch difference in thickness and if I manually put in the height of the material it makes a huge difference when there is a 32nd difference, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if others have had the same situation what was your remidy?

The issue is that the auto focus only works about 80% of the time, the table just stays in the same position, and does not auto adjust.

anything helps because you all have such a vast bank of knowledge out there and it is so much appreciated in times like this.......

Mike Mackenzie
01-20-2009, 2:45 PM
Sylvia,

Is this the VLS660, PLS 6.60 or the X660?

Sylvia Mossbrucker
01-20-2009, 3:09 PM
Oh sorry the PLS 6.60

Mike Mackenzie
01-20-2009, 4:26 PM
Are you talking about the auto focus from the keypad? Entering in the material height is the better way to do the focus. What version of software do you have?

Dan Hintz
01-20-2009, 7:36 PM
Sylvia,

Are you using the 2.0" or the 1.5" lens? The 1.5" is more finicky for focus, but 1/32" should still be well within tolerance for the focal length.

I'm sure you realize this, but just so we're covering the obvious, too... you do realize the table does not alter height automatically based upon material thickness, right? Other than the heights you set in the control panel for each color, there is no height sensing going on during engraving.

Does the bed move with the keypad?

Scott Shepherd
01-20-2009, 7:57 PM
I'm guessing she's talking about the autofocus button on the control panel. When I use that, it measures the work, and when I try and measure the same piece again, it measures it again, so short answer, is that it should be scanning and measuring every time you use it.

Long answer, do what Mike said and don't use it, use the "Z" thickness instead. It took me a year to realize it had autofocus on it :) I used the Z thickness, and still do. Much more productive for me.