PDA

View Full Version : Neanderthal in the making.

Marty Weatherup
01-20-2009, 1:46 PM
Just joined Sawmill Creek after perusing several pages of the handtools threads. Wow, there is a lot of great knowledge and skill here. I only recently started getting interested in incorporating handtools into my work. I have for several years used only power tools with the occasional use of a chisel now and then to finish a stopped dado or rabbet.

I have been cruising second hand stores and eBay in search of chisels and planes. I found at a local gun show, a new in the box Stanley #5 (dated it as 1948-1961) still shiny as the day it was made. By the looks of it I would say it was never used. I have managed to get a 409 Sargent, a Sargent scraper plane, a Stanley #4, 78 and 7 and a wooden rabbet plane so far. I have had to clean every one of the planes except the #5 with EvapoRust. Great stuff. This hand tool thing can get to be an obsession in a hurry and I have only got into the planes so far.

I look forward to reading much more of the great information here.

Marty

John Dykes
01-20-2009, 1:58 PM
Warm welcome -

- and we're all looking forward to hearing more from you as well!

gary Zimmel
01-20-2009, 2:35 PM
Welcome To The Creek Marty.

James G. Jones
01-20-2009, 4:16 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Your progression down the slope sounds oddly familiar to me.:rolleyes: You will definitely get a lot of great information from these guys and gals. I'm just a newbie to the all hand tools route myself and I can't tell you how much great information I have received here. Be careful though, the plane obsession becomes the spokeshave obsession, which becomes the scraper obsession, which leads to the chisel obsession, and on through brace and bits, egg beater drills, hand saws ......well you get the drift.:D

James

John Keeton
01-20-2009, 4:46 PM
Marty, welcome - and please say hello to your former mayor and present "very good looking" governor for us!;)

I, too, am a hand tool newbie - and I blame it all on fellow creekers, particularly ones like that John Dykes guy! But, on the other hand, Gary Z. is fairly responsible for my last couple of expenditures! Come to think of it, the list gets longer...... you may want to double think this! Now, I'm not so sure we are a good influence?:o

Marty Weatherup
01-20-2009, 5:13 PM
I have already started down the path with chisels and find myself turning to the saw section of Garrett Hack's "Classic Handtools" with some regularity. I got my first Witherby 1" chisel from eBay last week and am watching several more Witherbys and Swans. I am really looking forward to yard sale season up here.

Marty

Chris Padilla
01-20-2009, 7:04 PM
Learn it.
Live it.
Love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSx2HIi4dFg

Ian Gillis
01-20-2009, 7:10 PM
Ah, the smell of EvapoRust in the morning -- that's the smell of victory!! :D

Welcome

Ian

Robert Rozaieski
01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Welcome aboard!

Dave Anderson NH
01-21-2009, 1:52 PM
Welcome to the quiet side of woodworking Marty.