PDA

View Full Version : Question about different types of screws

Louis Brandt
01-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Hello,
I’m seeing a lot of posts about using different types of screws, (confirmat, torx), etc. that I’ve never used. Most of you seem to say that these are superior to what I can find at my HD or Lowe’s. My question is, what kind of bit do I need to buy for my cordless drill/driver or impact driver in order to be able to use these types of screws, and can you get the bits at HD or Lowe’s?
Thanks,
Louis

Ken Higginbotham
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
All of the tork and square drive screws I've gotten at HD/Lowe's have a bit in the box. Then they do have extra bits you can buy seperately in the tool sections.

ken

Bob Rufener
01-20-2009, 1:59 PM
Generally speaking, screws at the BORG's are not of the best quality and may snap off easily. The confirmat, torx, robertson (square drive) have superior gripping for your driver tool vs slotted or phillips head screws. Drive bits are readily available at stores that sell these particular screws.

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2009, 2:02 PM
Hi Louis, being Canadian I'm partial to Robertson screws of course! LOL

I don't like screws from HD or other big box stores as I find that the threads are poorly formed, the heads broached poorly and the metal not as strong as name brand screws.

Go to an industrial supplier, purchase Robertson/Scrulox or other name brand screws.

I've seen McFeeley's mentioned many times in a positive manner.

Robertson heads work the best in my opinion.....Rod.

P.S. Drywall screws are for drywall, not woodworking!

Dave Falkenstein
01-20-2009, 2:53 PM
The driver bit(s) I always keep in my cordless drill box are Phillips (#1 and #2) and Square Drive (#1 and #2) - several of each. I have one or two of lots of other bits in a drill accessory box, but the Phillips and Square Drive are the ones I use 99% of the time. You can buy the bits you'll need everywhere - but there are good bits that last a long time and not-so-good bits that break or wear easily. I add bits to my McFeely's order whenever I stock up on screws. I suggest you consider a starter set of square drive screws and bits from McFeely's. The McFeely's catalog (online and paper) has quite a bit of good information on screw types and coatings.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

Prashun Patel
01-20-2009, 3:00 PM
Confirmat screws are for fastening into MDF or particle board; they try to compensate for these material's lack of holding power.

I love me an occasional box of McFeely's or Rockler screws, but truth be told, I've had excellent results from Deckmates from the BORG. They have their own proprietary bit which is a hybrid Philips/Square, but the beautiful thing is that they also drive well with simple Phillips bits and Square bits. I've never had one snap (as have the cheaper Griprites) - even on 3" into unpiloted PT - and I use an impact driver for a lot of stuff. They come in a variety of colors too!

Mort Stevens
01-20-2009, 3:15 PM
I've had excellent results from Deckmates from the BORG. They have their own proprietary bit which is a hybrid Philips/Square

I use those Deckmate screws a lot and have never had a problem with them. The head on them, at least the last boxes I've bought, take a #15 Torx bit.