PDA

View Full Version : 1st natural edge bowl

keith zimmerman
06-27-2004, 8:39 PM
I have finally stepped over to the natural edge side of bowlturning. Turning natural edge has it's own set of challenges. I think I learned a lot doing this first bowl. It is black walnut and I decided on 1/4" thickness to show the bark. The diameter is 5" and the height is 3". I decided to curve the sides like a globe to show all layers of the wood. I used my Sorby Multi-tip Shear scraper with the curved cutter to do the hollowing. The finish is just one coat of Minwax Tung Oil Finish so far. After applying a few more coats, it will either get buffed with the Beall system, or maybe a spray laquer or varnish, I haven't decided.

I think I am satisfied with this first natural edge bowl. The grain and the different layers of the wood are really beautiful.

The only thing I am disappointed about is that I originally attempted to leave an 1/8" lip around the rim for a pewter potpourri lid, but that didn't survive the hollowing.

Thanks for looking.

keithz

Jim Ketron
06-27-2004, 8:53 PM
Looks great Keith!

I havent tried a natural edge bowl yet but it wont be long
how much CA glue did you have to use ?
Jim

Jim Becker
06-27-2004, 9:00 PM
A most excellent turning, Keith! Natural edge pieces are not the easiest to do at first, but have their own rewards. This one is just super!

John Shuk
06-27-2004, 9:21 PM
Very nice. I've never done a natural edge but I think the Walnut must be tricky as there is a thick spongy layer to the bark. Any trouble with that?

John Miliunas
06-27-2004, 9:23 PM
Personally, I think "losing the rim" for the potpourri lid was a blessing in disguise! The bowl is beautiful, all on its own and I think the lid would've detracted from it! Just MHO.... Excellent job, Keith! :cool:

keith zimmerman
06-27-2004, 9:49 PM
Thanks Jim, Jim, John, and John.

I appreciate the kind words. This will not be the last natural edge bowl I do.

Jim K. I didn't have to use much CA, although I did soak the bark thoroughly a couple of times. I also had to reinforce a small section that came loose.

John S. I had no problems with the spongy layer. It was quite firm and held well. Of course, I kept my bowl gouge very sharp at all times and made sure I was cutting the fibers and not ripping them.

John M. I have been looking at the bowl more and I think I tend to agree with your opinion that losing that lip was a blessing in disguise. The completed bowl stands alone on its own. I'll save the pewter lids for more traditional edges.

keithz