PDA

View Full Version : CL Been Berry Berry Good 2 Me (Multi Gloat)

Ben Franz
01-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I usually check out the tools on CL once or twice a day. As they say, "ya gotta kiss a lot of frogs...". Over the last few months it has paid off a few times so I guess this is a triple gloat.

Used I/R compressor from an estate sale ($500). Had to replace 1 cylinder and add automatic drain valve.

Older Ridgid osc. spindle/belt sander w/sleevees and belts from a local WW moving out of the area ($100). I can live without the borg orange color.

Finally, today, from nearby non WW, Dewalt DW788 w/stand ($125). The guy got it from his father and said he didn't know much about it. I asked him if he knew what it costs new and he said he did and was happy with the price. Who am I to complain?

Also (not so much a gloat) picked up two lengths of heavy duty 6" DC clear hose from Tri Hoang - a fellow SMC member although we didn't realize this until we met. He got to clear up some shop space and I got the hose at a fair price - win win in my book and I got to meet another NM WW.

Craig Johnson
01-20-2009, 1:11 AM
Nice ones Ben.
I have seen some good stuff on my local Craigslist too.
The most recent one I have seen is a Jet 14" bandsaw (white one) for 300.00.
Dont have the cash for it but it looked new.

Mike Heidrick
01-20-2009, 1:56 AM
Was it hard to replace a cylinder on a compressor??

Ben Franz
01-20-2009, 9:51 AM
Mike-

Replacement was straightforward. The local I/R distr. was able to order the cyl., 2 gaskets and one o-ring based on the unit serial number (this one was built in 1997). That's one benefit of buying a domestic product IMHO. Biggest issue was getting old cap screws loose from the head - I used an electric impact wrench to break the bond. I left the piston and rings in place and slipped the new cylinder sleeve down over them - rub on a little of the crankcase oil and presto! All in all 2-3 hours.

Bruce Page
01-20-2009, 2:43 PM
Congrats Ben. I check NM CL everyday but never see much else besides ladders & welding equipment. :(
That IR really looks nice!

Danny Thompson
01-20-2009, 5:22 PM
Nice scores all around!

By contracts, just in the last week two guys backed out of agreed-upon deals with me. Bummer!