PDA

View Full Version : A new wrinkle in the 12" jointer quest

David L. Anthony
01-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I've just run across a 1953 Northfield 12" medium duty jointer. Asking price is $3000. It's been repainted (looks good) and has a single phase 5hp baldor motor on it. It's belt driven. It also has a pretty well made homemade roll around dolly that comes with it. Considering that I'm going to spend that or more on a new 12" import jointer, is this old iron worth the asking price?

Dan McCallum
01-19-2009, 10:59 PM
That is a very fine jointer, but at a top dollar price. Depending on how urgently you need a new jointer, and how comfortable you are with repairing/restoring old machinery, you should be able to do much better.

I waited about 6 months and pulled the trigger on a 12" Poitras for $1200, plus significant shipping, then a new motor and magnetic starter. I have since seen a 16" and a 12" jointer locally for under $1000.

So I am sure you can do better on price, if you can afford to wait.

Adam Grills
01-20-2009, 7:02 AM
I agree that is top $ for that machine.

Bob Wilkerson
01-20-2009, 7:31 AM
I'd venture that while the Northfields are great machines a 12" MD isn't worth that much. I'd say that if it's in perfect plug and play condition it should top out at about $1500 max. I know of a totally restored 12" Oliver in the Midwest that's going for $1800 IIRC. 3K is enough to get a wide variety of 16-20" jointers in primo shape. A 20" Porter in NJ is advertised at $3500 in as new condition after restoration.

M Toupin
01-20-2009, 8:17 AM
The price isn't a bottom feeder deal, but consider a new one runs $11,500-$13,000.

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/

Mike

Steve Rozmiarek
01-20-2009, 9:59 AM
I think you'll find that Northfield WAY better than any new Asian import. Old industrial jointers that will fit into a hobby shop retain more value than some of the other old iron. 3K is not out of line, but patience will get you cheaper. Patience may also get you not as nice of a machine....

Wilbur Pan
01-20-2009, 10:45 AM
There are two ways to evaluate OWWM (or any other used piece of machinery, for that matter).

First is to evaluate the deal in terms of what people have paid for a similar piece of machinery in the past. Certainly, you'll probably feel bad if you pay $3000 for this jointer and then find out that most people who found one of these things paid $1500. The problem with this method is that you'll find the bottom feeders, as they're known, who know all the secret places where these machines come from, who check Craigslist every 5 minutes looking for deals, and who have the time and energy to travel far and wide to complete these deals. And to my mind, if you have the budget, the price is only important if you know for sure that you'll be selling the machine at some point.

The second way is to compare this jointer to other alternatives you have for getting 12" jointer capacity. This Northfield will be better built than any new Asian-made 12" jointer. In which case, you can look at this deal as getting a better machine for the same price as your other options.

I've taken the second approach in outfitting my shop. For example, I paid $350 for my 16" Walker-Turner bandsaw, which is more than many people have paid for the same bandsaw, but the way I look at it is that I have 12" resaw capacity for $350. Not a bad deal.

Two final thoughts: you can always bargain with the seller, and 12" OWWM jointers come up for sale reasonably often.

Hope this helps!

Frank Drew
01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
David,

I agree with the others who've said that the asking price is optimistic. However, I also agree with Wilbur that at some point when machine shopping (3 months? 6 months), it's more important to get something into your shop to do work with rather than spend more time looking for the greatest bargain possible.

I had the 1956 version of that same jointer and it's a very good, reliable workhorse; I'd definitely get one again (depending on price, circumstances, etc., or unless I found an Oliver I liked more :D.)

Knife setting was tedious, however; you have to drop both the infeed and outfeed tables out of the way because the knives have to be levered up into position from access holes on the outfeed side of the knife, and tightened with allen bolts accessed from the infeed side. The cutterhead on the one you're looking might be different, but mine had no raising/lowering screws or springs to make the job easier. When set, they stayed set, though.

Jamie Buxton
01-20-2009, 11:27 AM
There is a 12" Oliver on the San Francisco Craigslist for $3K/obo.

David, you should fill out your profile so folks know where you live. Location is a major issue when you're talking about thousand-pound machines.

Paul Steiner
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
This site frequently has 12" jointers. My friend bought one in working condition for less than $500.

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_search_results.asp?ind=50

Rick Fisher
01-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I am looking for a 12" Jointer as well. I am in Canada and $3K would be a decent deal here.

I bid on a Griggio 12" in an auction last summer, it went for $3K. A 12" Northfield in Seattle sold quickly at that same price.

Indeed the problem is freight. There are deals in the southern and mid western states but the freight quickly eats up the savings.

David L. Anthony
01-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I haven't spoken to the owner yet, only email. I would prefer a new or nearly new machine, but the American made aspect of this has me considering it. Judging by the picture, it looks as though there was at least a cosmetic going over. I do not want to rebuild an old machine, I'd rather be building furniture. If I can get it for $1500 and it works as good as it looks, I'll probably buy it. Shipping isn't an issue, it's just around the beltway in VA. Getting the beast into my basement is another thing though.:eek:

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2009, 2:05 PM
Hi, if you're looking for a non traditional 12 inch jointer, look at a Euro combo.

I have a Hammer A3 31 and am extremely pleased with it, having moved up from a General 8 inch jointer, and down from a General 14 inch planer.

Regards, Rod.

Steve Jenkins
01-20-2009, 3:31 PM
No matter what you pay for it two things will happen.
1 someone will have gotten the exact same thing for 1/2 what you paid
2 within a month you will see another for a lower price.
If you think you are paying a fair price then go for it.

jerry cousins
01-20-2009, 4:28 PM
last summer i bought a 12" medium duty northfield - 3 hp direct drive - 3 phase for $2150. with the shipping and figuring out the phase converter i probably was right up to $3000.
i felt i got a good deal.
regarding frank's comments about knife setting - mine has set knob under each table - when loosened the tables easily slide away from the cutter head giving good access for setting the knives.

and there does come a time when searching gets boring and having the tool is the better option.

jerry

J.R. Rutter
01-20-2009, 5:58 PM
This new wrinkle also throws away the idea of a carbide insert cutterhead, unless you want someone to make a custom head for you. If you are OK throwing that kind of $ at it, you might want to spend some time googling and browsing used equipment dealer/broker web sites. If you want some links, PM me.

Doug Shepard
01-20-2009, 6:25 PM
...3K is enough to get a wide variety of 16-20" jointers in primo shape. A 20" Porter in NJ is advertised at $3500 in as new condition after restoration.

There was a completely restored 16" Moak in the local CL here a couple weeks ago for $3K - 3 phase but I dont recall the HP for sure - maybe 7HP?

Paul Steiner
01-20-2009, 7:47 PM
Both jointers on irsauctions are in VA. They also get many auctions from furniture plants in NC and PA. Not too far from the beltway.