PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly vs Shop Fox equipment

Rick Thom
01-19-2009, 9:38 PM
I am wondering what, if any, difference there is between these brands? Their product descriptions seem identical and I understand they are different branches on one company.
I'm considering buying an 8" jointer and Grizzly's is well respected, but I don't hear much about the SF equivalent. Since Grizzly won't export to Canada, there's a fair amount of fooling around to get one of their products here. It appears there is a Shop Fox dealer nearby in north Toronto (Ford Machinery- Richmond Hill, Ont), the only one I'm aware of in Canada. If the product is the same and they are as competitively priced as in the U.S., that would be an obvious solution.

Joe Chritz
01-19-2009, 9:41 PM
Local dealer support and some additional cosmetic changes is the main differences to the best of my knowledge.

If it is a hassle for shipping then Shop Fox is a good choice.

Joe

Dave Lehnert
01-19-2009, 9:53 PM
I thought in Canada very like tools were sold under the Busy Bee brand.

Shop Fox tools are Grizzly tools sold to dealers. Most have some kind of upgrade and a two year warranty vs Grizzly one year.

Noah Vig
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Search for W1741 and you will see discussions.

I have the above Shop Fox jointer and as far as I know it is identical to the G0490 with different paint. Was less expensive to buy the shop fox machine including taxes than having the grizzly shipped to me.

Dave Potter
01-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Rick:

I thought much the same: The Shop Fox/Grizzly equipment were basically the same item with different paint and nameplates (much like Ford/Mercury vehicles). I have a Shop Fox W1714 Contractors table saw with looks to be the same as the Grizzly G0444Z. But when I ordered a ZCI for the latter thinking it should work just fine, I found I had to do some tweaking of it in order to get it to sit down below the tabletop before working the adjustment screws.

Makes me wonder what else would need tweaking. Also, if the Shop Fox were the "same" as the Grizzly, you would think that would be reflected in product descriptions, such as for a P.A.L.S. or the aforementioned ZCI?

Dave Potter

Rick Thom
01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately several brands that are very common and popular won't ship here so our choices are fewer. I'll check out the pricing with the lone dealer i've come across to see how he compares to other comparable machines.
I wouldn't consider the Busy Bee offerings comparable unless i did a side-by-side comparison up close and personal. Their product offerings seem to be better respected now than at some times in past, but across their product line quality seems spotty whereas most of the Griz lines get good reports.

Steve H Graham
01-20-2009, 8:59 AM
While I was getting ready to buy my used Shop Fox bandsaw, I noticed that the 19" Grizzly saws all had 3 HP or bigger motors. My motor is 2 HP.

Yesterday I called Shop Fox to buy a table pin, and they told me to call Grizzly. You have to wonder why Shop Fox won't sell parts over the phone. I really don't want to drive 40 miles for a table pin.

Hope the Shop Fox pin works.

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2009, 9:07 AM
I am wondering what, if any, difference there is between these brands? Their product descriptions seem identical and I understand they are different branches on one company.
I'm considering buying an 8" jointer and Grizzly's is well respected, but I don't hear much about the SF equivalent. Since Grizzly won't export to Canada, there's a fair amount of fooling around to get one of their products here. It appears there is a Shop Fox dealer nearby in north Toronto (Ford Machinery- Richmond Hill, Ont), the only one I'm aware of in Canada. If the product is the same and they are as competitively priced as in the U.S., that would be an obvious solution.

Hi Rick, you're correct about brand differences in canada.

Have you looked at General International?

Since general is Canadian, the made offshore GI line is readily available.

Wellbeck Sawmill in Durham Ontario (south of Owen Sound) often has the best pricing and customer service for GI equipment.

Regards, Rod.

Bob Slater
01-20-2009, 9:21 AM
The biggest difference is you will probably pay more in Canada, but shop around. I think TJV woodworking in Mississauga also sells some Shop Fox. Rod's suggestion might also pay off, as I bought my Oneida DC at a big discount on this tip.

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2009, 9:47 AM
The biggest difference is you will probably pay more in Canada, but shop around. I think TJV woodworking in Mississauga also sells some Shop Fox. Rod's suggestion might also pay off, as I bought my Oneida DC at a big discount on this tip.

How do you like your cyclone Bob?

I was at Wellbeck last week picking up a Freud box joint dado blade set.

Regards, Rod.

Bob Slater
01-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Rod, I love the Cyclone. It sits massively in the corner all wired up. I am still working on the ducting ...or hope to start this week. My shop is not up and running entirely, but as of yesterday I have high end stereo in three rooms, a closed circuit TV to keep me safe when I leave, great heating system, and a very comfy office.

Rick Fisher
01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
You wont find much stocking dealers for electric shop fox tools in Canada. they are imported but need to be electrically inspected and approved prior to sale. The cost is about $200.00 per copy.

If you look at machinery sold in Canada, it will either bear a CSA sticker, or it will have a sticker (usually blue) somewhere on it, indicating that it has been inspected.

Dana Vogel
01-21-2009, 9:19 AM
I have worked on both machines by replacing their cutterheads with Byrd heads and there is a big difference.

1. The machining on the Grizz 8" parallel joiner is horrible, the area where the bearing blocks mount to the base were so badly machined (China) I had to hand file them(4 ea.) and use shims to build them back to equal elevations

2. The cutterhead bearings on the Grizz (China) were replaced just after 1 hours use. Shop Fox uses name brand Japanese bearings.

3. Belts on the Grizz were Chinese, Shop Fox were USA.

4. Joiner infeed table was replaced (warped)

All in All Grizz = cheap cheap cheap (China):mad:, Shop Fox = higher quality (Taiwan);) similiar to Steel City, General Int'l, PM, etc.

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2009, 9:34 AM
You wont find much stocking dealers for electric shop fox tools in Canada. they are imported but need to be electrically inspected and approved prior to sale. The cost is about $200.00 per copy.

If you look at machinery sold in Canada, it will either bear a CSA sticker, or it will have a sticker (usually blue) somewhere on it, indicating that it has been inspected.

In addition, some machinery may require modification or replacement of components to meet Canadian requirements, prior to inspection.

My Hammer A3-31 has an electrical enclosure mounted on it that non Canadian units do not have. The enclosure contains the contactors, capacitors, overload relay etc.

Regards, Rod.