PDA

View Full Version : Odd Clamping (w/pics)

David Eisan
06-27-2004, 2:20 PM
Hello everyone,

My cabinets are assembled with a variety of joinery techniques, face screwing, pocket screwing and cookies, whatever each situation called for or allowed. The lower shelf that this face frame attaches to will be seen on both sides, so I was not able to use pocket screws to attach it like I did on the hidden sides. I used a couple of #20 biscuits in the plywood case to face frame to attach the face frame. In most kitchens the face frame would just have been nailed on, but nails are better left for carpentry, not, ahem, fine cabinetry. Since this is a corner cabinet, I had to have a way of clamping the face frame square at the front, but to a triangle on the back. I took some scrap melamine (is that redundant?) and cut a 90º wedge out of it and a two holes for the ends of the clamps. It worked very well. I have three cabinets like this in the kitchen, so this jig it will be used a few more times.

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/oddclamp1.jpg

http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/oddclamp2.jpg

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Remove the "splinter" from my email address to email me.

Tyler Howell
06-27-2004, 2:26 PM
Interesting Dave,

Going to file that one away.;)

Chris Padilla
06-27-2004, 2:33 PM
Yet another fine example of a caul made for the situation! There was a thread going last week about the use of cauls. Nice one, David!

Jim Becker
06-27-2004, 2:42 PM
Awesome Solution...we all need to file that one away for future use!! :)

John Miliunas
06-27-2004, 3:27 PM
Ain't that what they make those "framing" nail guns for?! :confused: That's a "face frame", right? :D

Seriously, GREAT solution! The last corner cab I built, I did indeed end up using finish nails and putty. :o You have a much more elegant solution! Thanks much for the tip! :cool:

Steve Clardy
06-27-2004, 7:28 PM
But I don't even clamp mine, [the corner cabs, just the straight boxes]. Just glue, attach face, and brad nail with a 5/8 brad on the side of the stile where it is cut at a 45 for the next adjoining cabinet to butt too. No filling, no seeing the brads.
In fact, none of my face brads are visible when I am doing boxes. Mine are all bradded on from the inside. You need a 18 gauge gun that has the adjustable depth of drive though.

David,
Not trying to Hijack your thread, just showing how I do it. I got tired of filling nails holes and me always being able to see them, so I came up with this method a couple of years ago.
I always like more than just glue on a face frame, where the face meets the plywood, all those different layers just don't seem to hold glue as well as a solid board.
Steve