PDA

View Full Version : Walnut/Maple Lidded Boxes

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2009, 7:45 PM
Here are a couple of Walnut lidded boxes with maple lids. One has a bocote knob and the other has a ebony knob. They have one coat of Antique Oil. I will let them set for a week or so drying then finish with wipe on poly. They are both about 3 3/4" tall and 2 3/4" across. The lid is slightly recessed which I think makes them look a little sharper. Anyway comments welcome.

curtis rosche
01-19-2009, 8:12 PM
nice boxes

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 8:20 PM
Nice ones! I vote for the second one with ebonized lid.

I wanna learn!

soon

Dahl Troy Perry
01-19-2009, 8:26 PM
Boy you guys that post pictures of stuff like this are in a league at the top of the scale makes me feel like I'm below the starting point of the scale. My wife keeps saying can you do that I say yes in about 10 -20 years. But I love to look at what can be done.

David Walser
01-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Bernie,

Both boxes are very nice. I think I prefer the one with an ebony knob/handle. The bocote seems to compete for attention while the ebony just compliments the rest of the box.

Maylon Harvey
01-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice boxes. like the contrasting woods. The bocote is my favorite.
Why the antique oil and not just the wipe on poly - to pop the grain?

Toney Robertson
01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Bernie,

Both are very nice.

Question for you. Why did you inset the second lid? I think I like the smooth look better.

Good job,

Toney

Alan Trout
01-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Bernie, Nice Boxes! Are these going to your art dealer?

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks everyone.

David I just happen to have a piece of bocote from a the end of a pen blank and just used it. I just use what scraps I have. Only had one small piece of ebony. If I had it to do over I would have used maybe blood wood or used india ink on walnut.

Maylon it just kinda pops the grain and really makes them stand out. I would stick with just that but around here for some reason people like shiney so gloss wipe on poly.

Toney I just tried something different after reading Chris Stott's book on Lidded boxes.

Alan yes they will be going down to the art gallery.

Dahl you will get there. Trust me with practice and patients you will get there.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Beautiful boxes both Bernie! I like the first one best. Nicely done Sir!

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Very nice work on both of the boxes Bernie! Great use of scraps! Should also be big sellers for you!

Don Carter
01-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Very nice boxes, Bernie. I love the walnut but I love the form of these and how the lids fit. Great job! Looks like another good run at the art gallery!

All the best.

Don

steven carter
01-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Nice boxes Bernie! I'm going to have to try that style. On the interior did you follow the shape of the exterior or keep the inside wall vertical?

Steve

Bill Bolen
01-20-2009, 2:59 PM
Pretty box's Bernie. I really like the flat flush fit of the lids.Sure seem to bring the piece together. Well done Sir!...Bill...