PDA

View Full Version : Cedar vase and damascus knife

Tom Lewis
01-19-2009, 5:49 PM
I thought I would show a cedar vase I just finished. It is 8 " tall and finished with the Beal Buffing system. For good measure I also included a damascus knife that I just finished making. The handle has a Copal amber spacer and stabilized maple burl handle.

Joe Chritz
01-19-2009, 5:52 PM
I like. Once upon a time I did custom knives.

Did you do the damascus or buy the blank? I did stock removal but now when I do any I just buy a blade already completed.

Joe

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2009, 6:29 PM
Very nice vase Tom! Really like the knife! Haven't seen Damascus for quite awhile - great visual! Beautiful burl handle! Very nice work on everything! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Tom Lewis
01-19-2009, 8:03 PM
Thanks, for the kind words. I make my own damascus. I have several forges and two powerhammers. The damascus is a twist pattern of 288 layers of 1080 and 15N20 steel.
For over 25 years I was really into knifemaking. I joined the Knifemakers Guild and the ABS. During this time I made over 1300 knives.
I have always had a interest in wood turning and after making so many knives I am enjoing spending more time with the wood lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2009, 8:57 PM
Both are great looking pieces. I really like the knife.

Jon Lanier
01-19-2009, 11:42 PM
great looking pieces, especially the knife