PDA

View Full Version : A whistle I made care to guess the wood?

John Shuk
06-27-2004, 12:30 PM
This is a little whistle I made for my son. I finished it with 1lb cut blond shellac then pure tung oil then a few more coats of shellac. Care to guess the wood? Just something to do to pass the time? It is an American wood.

Jim Ketron
06-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I dont know but it has a lot of color:confused: very nice!
Jim

Chris Padilla
06-27-2004, 2:20 PM
I'm going to guess Wenge or Walnut...see how the W's do today!

BTW, if you apply shellac first, does the Tung oil actually penetrate?

John Bush
06-27-2004, 2:44 PM
Kingwood? I've got a small sample and it has a nice grain pattern like that.

John Bush
06-27-2004, 2:45 PM
Maybe Pau Ferro(sp)?

John Shuk
06-27-2004, 9:31 PM
The wood is sycamore. We have it growing all over the place here but Very rarely do you find pieces. What I am finding is that it has many different looks. This piece is pretty dark and I have seen it a very creamy white color. I just got a bowl blank from a friend and it is salmon pink with beautiful rays on the quartersawn part. The Tung oil did seem to penetrate fine for me today. The box elder bowl I made was no problem either. I don't know how well it is getting into the wood but it seems to be working for me and when I put it on it does add to the beauty of the bowl. I am using a pretty thin cut about 1lb or a little less so maybe that helps?

John Bush
06-28-2004, 1:27 PM
That's a surprise. I always thought of sycamore as a light colored wood. That whistle looks great! Are the metal components available thru turning suppliers? I'm not a turner yet and haven't fallen prey to shopping for those items yet. Thanks, John

Bobby McCarley
06-28-2004, 4:07 PM
John,
That's a nice looking whistle. Is it made from a kit and where did you get it?

Thanks
Bobby McCarley

John Shuk
06-28-2004, 9:12 PM
Yes that is a kit. I bought it at the Woodworking Show from Penn State Industries. A bunch of the Turning suppliers have them. It works with my pen mandrel and 7mm tubes. Thanks for the kind words.

Bobby McCarley
06-29-2004, 8:34 PM
Thanks John, I appreciate the information.

Christopher Pine
06-29-2004, 11:01 PM
I see after you told us what it was the definate sycamore grain.. I have never seen such dark sycamore either... I made a box out of sycamore before.. nice looking wood I think.
Chris Pine