PDA

View Full Version : Universal Laser Desktop Cabinet question

Steve Lautzenehiser
01-19-2009, 3:02 PM
Hello,
I amnew to the boards and I am looking to getting a new laser engraver. I would like to get the Universal 12X24, due to the 9" material height that I need, although the price is really out of my price range as a hobbyist. I am now looking at the Veralaser desktop 12x16, but it only has a working depth of 4 inches or 6.5 without the table. Why can't I remove the bottom of the cabinet and construct a new lower cabinet with an exhaust port to get a larger working height? I haven't really looked at one yet, so i don't know what is connected to the bottom. Also, does anyone know what the desktop should cost? I've seen a used unit for about 9K, but I do not know if that is good or not.
Thanks for any insight!!!

Mark Porter
01-19-2009, 3:10 PM
Steve,

I've just had my VLS2.30 for a few weeks, and am very pleased with it. It has a motorized table, so you cannot remove this or cut out the bottom of the cabinet without damaging the machine.

Steve Lautzenehiser
01-19-2009, 3:13 PM
The distributor mentioned that I could take the table out and "jump" the table, what ever that means., but I am looking to use a rotatary, so I'm not sure if I need the table or not.

Todd Schwartz
01-19-2009, 5:46 PM
Steve,

I have a VL300. There is no way to get additional depth by removing the bottom of the cabinet. Between the bottom of the cabinet and the laser head there is the table that moves up and down giving you the proper focus height. This table in integral to the system. Has the keys for installing the rotary attachment as well as a plug that the rotary attachment plugs into telling the laser and software that you are using the rotary attachment. And we have not even touched on other issues such exhaust and warranty.

If you need a deeper depth, your best bet is to bite the bullet and buy a machine that will meet your needs. Now with that said, there are very few things that I have not be able to engrave with my VL300 because of the 4" depth.

As you look at lasers, take your samples with you and have them laser them. The true test.

Best of luck,

Todd