PDA

View Full Version : Need pointer on kitchen door construction

Vjeko Balas
01-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi,
I'm interested in making some kitchen doors similar to:
http://www.gorenje-no.si/si/kuhinje_marles/rustica/korina_cesnja
Could someone give me a pointer on joinery/process and material ?

Uncertainties:
- I have a router so I initially thought of loose tenon joinery using some jig- not sure whether this would be the easiest solution ? Since we need quite a few builtin cupboards to be built in the house, I have promoted the need for my woodwork/hobby, so I may even extend myself a little with a Festool Domino if this would be really worthwhile :D
- How are the doors with glass panels made ?
- Not sure of the material/thickness of the wood door panels

Now, I have been doing woodwork on and off for quite a while - but it was more off than on :D, so now I'm rearing to get the right tools/jigs etc - consider this to be a "semi beginners" project for me with limited fixed tools (have hand planes, drills,festool electric plane,saw and ROS, large & small router, makita saw and EZ system - everything there but not working together yet, if you know what I mean :p

Joe Chritz
01-19-2009, 1:04 PM
I can't tell if those doors have any profile on the rail/stiles or if it is square. If it is square you can do those very easy with just a tablesaw and a stub tenon. Generally doors are constructed with a rail/stile bit for a router or shaper.

There are lots of videos that show the process and I think some of the manufactures have them on the websites.

Glass doors are constructed the same as wood panels with the back lip taken off, either pre or post assembly. The glass is then placed in and held in place through a variety of different methods. Ripping narrow trim and pin nailing in place is a popular one. You can also use silicone, trim strips that are made just for that or glazing points.

If you don't have a tablesaw you can do the same doors by using a slot cutter on a router table.

Joe

Sue Wise
01-19-2009, 3:07 PM
I have made doors like that using my domino. I routed a stopped groove for the panel and used my domino for the floating tenons. It worked great!

But I could have just as easily made a stub tenon to fit in the groove. Unless the door is big and heavy, I would think a stub tenon in the groove would do just as well.

-Sue

Neal Clayton
01-19-2009, 5:41 PM
on the point of glass panel doors, unless you like rattling glass the only way to surely eliminate that for indefinite years to come, imo, is to properly glaze them as one would a window.

you don't have to use glazing putty since there's no weather exposure, you can use silicone caulk instead, but the method is the same.

3/8 x 3/8 is the typical size for a glass rabbet, put a caulk bedding inside the rabbet for the glass, set glass in the rabbet 1/16 short on all sides, hold in place with glazing points (the press type work fine or if you want to have a new toy, the fletcher #7 point driver will shoot them), then you can add a strip on the back or caulk the back form a profile on the caulk with a putty knife as one would on the outside of a window. after the bedding caulk is dry you can scrape it off the glass with a chisel or razor blade.

David DeCristoforo
01-19-2009, 7:19 PM
Those are pretty simple doors and easy to make. panels are probably 1/4" ply but could be solid... hard to tell for sure from the pics. You can make them with tongue and groove joints using bits like this:

http://www.freud-tools.com/freud99adton.html or
http://eagleamerica.com/185-0535/p/185-0535/

Or the equivalent shaper cutters if you have a shaper. You can also make these joints pretty easily on a table saw or in a number of other ways. For glass panels, most of the stock can be removed before assembly and the rabbets can easily be finished with a router and rabbeting bit. Or you can just make the frames and rout the whole rabbet after they are put together. Inside corners need to be cleaned up with a chisel. You can also get cutter sets that will form the rabbet for the glass as you shape the pieces. But these are usually only available as shaper cutters.