PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Work - Pens

Chris Huybregts
01-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Hey guys, So this weekend I had a few hours to practice my new hobby. I started by turning a Mushroom... Err, tried to turn a mushroom, I forgot to get a photo of it. I tried using the skew on it, but man, I kept cork screwing!

So, After a frustrating 2 hours (yeah, for 1 mushroom, can't for the CTWA meeting tomorrow!), I put together some pens to make me feel better. There are nine pen's in the photo, all total, i've only made 11. I bought a 20 pack of slim line kits from Woodcraft so I could practice on something "cheap." As you can see, I started experimenting with different shapes for the handles.

I needed to snap the photo, as today, 6 are being shipped out as gifts, 4 of those to the land down under (my brother and Sister In Law) here's hoping they make it through customs okay (Aus is pretty strict about wood importation, I think they'll be fine as they're "finished").

oh, as for the types of wood, I know what some of them are, but the darker ones, I have no idea (to go along with the whole practice thing, I bought the 13 buck 5lbs of pen blanks from woodcraft, ended up getting about 80 blanks in there!)

The finish on them is 2 coats of Hut's Crystal Coat.

Chris Huybregts

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Good looking pens Chris! Nice variety of woods!

The skew can be challenging but with practice can be an amazing tool to use - or so I am told! LOL I know what you mean about cork-screwing - but in my shop that is called texturing! Design modifications can happen at anytime!

Chris Huybregts
01-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks Steve!

I'm learning that design changes are "part of the fun" :) for example, the maple & darkwood pen in the photo, that's a result of the other half of the blanks exploding/chipping out. Figured I'd complete the halves, then put them together to see how it'd look. I'm still doing a ton of experimentation :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Well Chris - you are way ahead of me when it comes to pens as I have not turned even one of them yet! I understand design changes and guess you really have to experiment to find a balance between what is pretty to look at and comfortable to use.

Looks like you are learning and having fun at the same time! That's what it is all about! Keep up the good work!

Mark Hubl
01-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Chris,

Nice pens. Good start, you are where I am. I made my first batch this weekend as well.

Dean Thomas
01-19-2009, 4:49 PM
Good job, Chris. Nice use of the wood and obviously a nice score on the WC deal. The SlimLine kit is amazingly versatile and flexible. When/if you choose to make some pens for the Freedom Pen Project (hint hint), remember that the troops are allowed to have pens in their pockets, but I've been told by a top sergeant and an Army officer that those who do inspections of soldiers do not like to see bumps where there ought not to be bumps. Their recommendation for troop pens is to keep them fairly Slim. Bump at the writing end is okay, just not too BIG a bump. :D

Maybe your relations in the land down under (Oz?) would be willing to pursue some of the amazing woods available there and get them back to you for conversion to amazing pens.

So, Steve, when are you going to quit bragging about not turning pens and go somewhere and turn one?!?!? ;) I've been reading your non-pen turning posts for a couple of years now. Time to broaden your turning horizons already. :) If push comes to shove and you're going to one of the Woodworking Shows this year, and Craft Supply is there, they're offering you the opportunity to turn a pen on them! That alone is worth the price of admission.

Chris Huybregts
01-19-2009, 6:48 PM
Hey Dean, Thanks for the tip and yes, I'm definitely looking forward to participating in the Freedom pen project! (and will keep them slim! Wish I had this hobby when my brother was in the army, would have been a nice care package for him/his troop while he was in Iraq).

I love the thought of being so "free" to experiment with the Pens, either by wood choice, pen shape, pen kit, etc. there are an unlimited amount of pens to be made!

Rich Boehlke
01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Nice pens, Chris.
I like the bulbous tip design, it makes it easier to grip the pen IMHO. I am also just starting out. At a Woodworking Show a couple months ago, I turned a pen at the Craft Supplies booth. That got me started turning pens. Turning a pen satisfies my creative need when other turnings wind up in the firewood pile. Now if only there were a fix for the 24hr day limitation!

Bernie Weishapl
01-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Great job Chris on some great looking pens. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Excellent pens Chris!

The skew.....sharp...sharp...sharp.....ride the bevel....ride the bevel......ride the bevel...

Billy Tallant
01-20-2009, 2:10 AM
Very nice pens... I like the 2 tone pen. Nice color contrast... Experimentation is part of the fun.

Dewey Torres
01-21-2009, 1:55 AM
Man Billy...you got Talent I mean Tallant