PDA

View Full Version : Respirators

Bob Marino
06-27-2004, 8:24 AM
I know there are plenty to choose from, but does anyone have recommendations for one that is effective as well as comfortable for use with varnishes, oil base products, etc.?

Bob

Earl Kelly
06-27-2004, 8:44 AM
Bob, I like the Survivair. It comes in sizes S,M,L so it's easier to get a good fit. The binks and comfo always seemed too small. Just make sure the cartridges are readily available to you.

Kevin Arceneaux
06-27-2004, 11:37 AM
I am a S&E Manager for a Utility. We operate 3 power plants and own part of another.

I would highly recommend that you get a good one. There are 4 different ones that I am going to go over here, so bear with me.

1. Cheap little dusts masks - these are next to worthless and are banned from my plants.
2. Half face respirators - a good one wil run about 30 bucks. These come with interchangable filters. The two tht I would recommend for use in woodworking are the pancake filter for dust and an organic cartridge. The organinc is what you would need for painting. IMHO, the MSA and North are the best choices. A note here: filters are NOT interchangable between brands.
3. Full Face respirators - these are big, hot, and heavy and I do not thing that for what a WW is looking for, that they are a good choice.
4. PAPR - These are a full face system that has a belt mounted filter and fan. These blow air into the facemask and are one of the best choices you can get. Though you do pay for it, they are not cheap. If you can afford it, get it.

http://www.labsafety.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=64 is a source, but there are others out there and you really will not see much difference in price.

If you can find a local source, that is the one to go with. When you purchase it ask for a fit test and instructions in its use. If the company is any good, they should give this to you at no charge. If not, look around for somewhere else.

Don Abele
06-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Bob, you need a mask which is comfortable for YOU. That's why it is important to find someplace with different types/sizes and try them out, no two fit the same. At the shipyard I am currently at, we use 3 different manufacturers (3M, MSA, and North), each with sizes from XS to XL. This allows the user to find what fits/feels best.

From my experience, one key point is the head harness. Look for one that has a "Y" type harness for the top strap rather than just a single elastic band. It stays on the back of your head comfortably without slipping and pulling hair. A wider elastic strap on the bottom is also preferred as that's going to be pulling against your neck.

Once you find the one that feels best, get an organic vapor cartridge (usually black) made by the same manufacturer. If you plan on using it for sanding or any other dusty work, you may also want to look into getting a dust filter for it as well.

I personally use a 3M ComfoFit II half face for painting/staining and welding, an MSA half face for dust, and a 3M full face for sand blasting.

John Shuk
06-27-2004, 12:26 PM
If the full face also provides eye protection it seems like a good idea to me.

Chris DeHut
06-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi Bob,

AO Safety gets my vote. I use the type that has two cartridges and a soft rubber "Cup" that fits around the nose and mouth. The primary reason I like the AO Safety units is that replacement cartridges are readily available at most home centers. The cartridges last for about 6 months and should be thrown away at that point as they loose effectivness.

You can pick them up at most Home Depots, Menards, and Lowes. They are priced pretty good and the mask portion lasts pretty well. I have purchased two units over the last 15 years or so.

They are a little heavy - but easy to get used to. You may sweat a little around the seal area too.

If you have seen me doing finishing in the magazine, the mask I am wearing is the type I am talking about.

While the research shows that for particle matter, those cheap disposable filters that are held in place with a rubber band, are just as good as the other filters. The only catch is if you can get them to seal around the mouth and nose. I don't know if my nose is too big or what, but I have never got those to seal and when I use them my glasses fog up constantly.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Kevin Arceneaux
06-27-2004, 1:21 PM
Chris, those are worthless. I have been using respirators of one type or another since I first worked in coal mine in 1975. I have had a lot of testing for their use, coal mines, hazardous waste, asbestos, and painting. THe AO may be a ok one, but it would be one that I never would use.

I do not know where your research is from, but I have yet to see one recommending those type of filters. I have the NIOSH standards at work for respirators and will gladly post them tomarrow if you like.

A half mask has a pretection factor of 10, full face has 100 as does the PAPR. Though indications from NIOSH are that the PAPR factor is gong to be changed to 1000, the same as a supplied air system. I have never seen a standard for filter masks.

Jim Tobias
06-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Bob,
I have a PAPR system from 3M(Keith referred to this system in his reply). "It is called a "Breathe Easy" system. I can work in the shop all day and never smell a thing(dust or cut wood). Although I like the smell of wood, I have some dust allergies that cause sinus problems. This system has eliminated the problem.

Jim

Bob Marino
06-28-2004, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=Kevin Arceneaux]I am a S&E Manager for a Utility. We operate 3 power plants and own part of another.

I would highly recommend that you get a good one. There are 4 different ones that I am going to go over here, so bear with me.

1. Cheap little dusts masks - these are next to worthless and are banned from my plants.
2. Half face respirators - a good one wil run about 30 bucks. These come with interchangable filters. The two tht I would recommend for use in woodworking are the pancake filter for dust and an organic cartridge. The organinc is what you would need for painting. IMHO, the MSA and North are the best choices. A note here: filters are NOT interchangable between brands.
3. Full Face respirators - these are big, hot, and heavy and I do not thing that for what a WW is looking for, that they are a good choice.
4. PAPR - These are a full face system that has a belt mounted filter and fan. These blow air into the facemask and are one of the best choices you can get. Though you do pay for it, they are not cheap. If you can afford it, get it.
Kevin,

Are'nt the PAPR's big and heavy also? How expensive are they?

Bob

Barbara Gill
06-28-2004, 5:11 AM
I have used the North 7700 series half face respirator in the sawmill for 17 years. It is comfortable in the winter as well as summer. All of the valves, filters, etc. are replaceable. I keep one in the shop also.

Gary Whitt
06-28-2004, 9:02 AM
I use the 3M 7500 series 1/2 face respirator (spray painting, option 2 in the link).

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Subcategories/facepiece_combos.htm

It is very comfortable.

Kevin Arceneaux
06-28-2004, 9:32 AM
Yes, they are not cheap.

They are a bit heavy, but since the pump and the filters are suported by a belt, instead of hanging off the mask, they are less tiring.

I do agree with the other poster, North makes excellent products.