PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-560 Planer Blades

Anthony Whitesell
01-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Does any one know if the Delta 22-560 planer blades (Delta part number 22-562) can be resharpened?

Thanks.

Mike Circo
01-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Nope, they are dual-sided, disposable blades.

Due to the registration pins, it is difficult or even impossible to sharpen in such a way to make them all even again.

Anthony Whitesell
01-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info. Are there any alternative blades for the 22-560 other than the Delta 22-562?

P.S. FYI. Lowe's has them (in my local store and online) for $28 per set.

Kevin Godshall
01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I've been re-sharpening my double sided Grizzly bits for over a year now. Yeah the set up is a bit tough with the pins, but the quality I'm getting is better than new and much better than what the local sharpening shop did.

I'm using the Makita wet stone and have more than paid it off in relation to buying new blades or having them done outside (charge for outside was almost the same as buying new).

Maurice Ungaro
01-19-2009, 2:27 PM
Kevin, that's great to know! Do you have to take a wire bead off of the back of the blades after you sharpen them?

Kevin Godshall
01-19-2009, 8:17 PM
I take them off the sharpener, out of the jig, wipe off the water and grit from the process, and then re-install them back into the planer.

Having worked in the meat industry for 15+ years, I have an appreciation for sharpening and maintaining a honed edge. Now, whenever I feel any kind of "bite" during planing, I do a quick touch up on my blades (3 or 4 light passes per edge) (similar to steeling a knife), and put them back in. I have the process down to less than 15 minutes, and I'm back to making clean, sharp cuts.