PDA

View Full Version : Router Rec for Leigh FMT

Darrin Johnson
01-19-2009, 9:35 AM
Anyone have any recs for what works well with the Leigh FMT?

I am seriously considering going with Festool as well so any thoughts would be appreciated on which Festool router would work well/best.

thx~
dj

Paul Johnstone
01-19-2009, 9:47 AM
I think just about any popular router will work. They have a lot of different hole sizes to mount your router too.

Generally, once the router is mounted, you don't want to remove it from the FMT base, if at all possible (to save setup time later). So I wouldn't recommend a Festool one (too expensive to use as a dedicated router, unless you M/T every day).

You want a router with minimal runout. The dewalt ones are highly recommended, but I'm sure other brands work too.

Brent Smith
01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Darrin,

I have a Dewalt 621 dedicated to my FMT. As Paul said, you want to leave it set up if possible, it will save a lot of time when you use it.

John Hedges
01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I have a Bosch 1617 plunge base permanently attached to mine. The nice thing about using the plunge base from a kit is that you can remove the motor and put it in the fixed base for use outside of the FMT. I actually prefer the DW 618 or 621 but I got a great deal on the Bosch, and I like the way the handle are shaped on the bosch for use in the FMT. It gives more leverage when taking the base of the FMT off and on, which you will do a lot.

Charles Saunders
01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I've found that my Dewalt DW625 has worked so well with the FMT that I never removed it. It's not a super heavyweight and the plunge action is very smooth. It wouldn't hurt you to buy something with less horsepower but I would strongly recommend that you consider a router with a soft-start motor.

Darrin Johnson
01-19-2009, 4:05 PM
Great, thanks for the advice! Good point abt the festool.

dj

Neal Clayton
01-19-2009, 5:23 PM
when i was using one i had the triton 2.25 hp.

it doesn't really matter, and don't go buying their adapter kits before you're sure you need one. they claim you need one for the above mentioned triton, but turning the router about 20 or 30 degrees lines it up with the porter cable holes, so the adapter plate wasn't necessary.

i would think most anything could be made to fit on their plate in the same manner.

and while we're on that point, i tore up the above mentioned triton while making door mortises with an end mill. so get the most rugged plunge router you can find. plunging 2 inch holes in rapid succession is probably not what most router manufacturers had in mind when engineering their consumer grade routers. bigger and stronger is better in this case.

Joe Chritz
01-19-2009, 5:57 PM
I don't have the FMT :( but I do like the Bosch 1617 router. I have two currently and a standard, plunge and D handle base. A kit would be a good choice if you think you may want the motor out.

You can't really own to many routers it seems.

Joe

Scott Brihn
01-19-2009, 6:17 PM
I use a DeWalt 621 with the FMT. Once you have the initial set up it takes just a minute or two to remove or re-mount the router. At one point I was considering dedicating a router to the jig but then realized there was no need.

Darrin Johnson
01-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this router? Seems there were sig. quality concerns when it first hit the market....

Mike Heidrick
01-20-2009, 1:23 AM
Unless you have the 895 already - check the plunge action. My older one was not smooth at all - I gave it to my BIL. Looks like the plunge base may have changed to one like the Dewalt 618. I really like the 618 plunge base so that may be a good thing. I bought a used FMT with a 1617 and have keep it there dedicated as I have no other bases for it and have plenty of other 618 routers to use.

Charles Lent
01-20-2009, 4:42 PM
I tried using a Ryobi RE600 when I first got my FMT, and quickly discovered that lifting it on and off the jig for about 4 hours almost destroyed my arm muscles (it weighs 13 lbs). I then bought a DW618 kit and found that it was pure delight to use it with the FMT. The base of the DW618 matches one of the existing hole patterns on the FMT, so it quickly attaches with just three screws and is perfectly aligned without using the bars. I've enjoyed using the DW618 for other routing jobs so much that I now own two complete 3 base kits and they are my router=of-choice for most router work.

Charley