PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Exhibit in Atlanta

Richard Spain
01-19-2009, 8:52 AM
I came across this yesterday. There is an exhibit in Atlanta next weekend called The Woodworking Shows. I have not seen this before? Is it worth the time?

http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Home/tabid/132/Default.aspx

Thanks,
Richard

Maurice Ungaro
01-19-2009, 8:59 AM
Richard,
When I lived in Atlanta, I never seemed to make it to this, nor the better show in August at the World Congress Ctr. downtown ( was always out of town on those weekends). Lots of Creekers have been to these, and from what I gather, it is fun the first time, but repetitive thereafter. I'm going to be in town this weekend, but might rather go ride my bike in the mountains with my old teammates, and sneak a trip to Highland Hardware (I know .....it's now Highland Woodworking...).

If you are in the market for a deal on large equipment, Redmond's usually has a booth there, and will offer some nice pricing on recon'd machinery. For myself, I'll have to see what the weather is like, and if it's nasty outside, I'll probably go to the show.

Ironically, I USED to live in Fayette County, off of Redwine Road. Now I'm back in the Palmetto State!

Richard Spain
01-19-2009, 9:11 AM
Sounds like we switched locations. I was born and raised in Charleston and been in PTC for a bit over two years. I wish I was back on the coast. There is nothing like the smell of fluff mud on a summer's evening.

I made the IWF this past August and I was impressed with the exhibits. I was watching Norm this weekend and an advertisement for this show was on. Other than that I have not heard about it.

Will any other Creekers be there? Sarge?

Buy the way I am going the Redmonds in about an hour. t is not too far at all.

Richard

tody Brock
01-19-2009, 9:38 AM
I have been to the show in Atlanta the last 3 yrs and plan on going again this weekend.There is a lot of repetitiveness but also a chance to see some of the new stuff on the market. I have always enjoyed it and usually sit in on a few of the classes just to see what I can pick up. I do tend to spend to much money at them and you have to watch what you buy because not everything is a good deal, but I generally find what I am looking for at a decent price. Plus I live in Chattanooga and am 2 hrs away from Atlanta, so I can stock up on stuff that I can't buy around here and not have to pay shipping on it. For me, it is definately worth the $6 just to experience it.

Maurice Ungaro
01-19-2009, 9:46 AM
Richard,
Redmond's is great, though, I haven't seen their new location in Newnan. Definitely closer to PTC than it was before. Be sure to check out the used machinery and the reconditioned stuff from Delta. That's where the best deals are to be found.

Ken Higginbotham
01-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I went to this several years ago and thought it was pretty good. Thanks for this post - I may go Friday as I work at the airport - :)

Richard Spain
01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Good shop place to browse and I found their prices to be reasonable. They are right off I-85 on Hwy 154 which is about 20 minutes from my home.:) I will be back.

Richard

Jim Eller
01-19-2009, 2:09 PM
I'll be going from the Knoxville, TN area if any one is interested.

Bob Wingard
01-19-2009, 4:35 PM
FWIW .. Redmond & Sons is not making an appearance at this show .. ..

Don't know the reason, but a friend of mine usually works at his booth, and he said they chose not to participate this time around.

Looks like just the travelling core of exhibitors will be there without much local participation.

I've been to this show on & off for about 20 years now, and it's been dwindling steadily the last 8 - 10 years. It's really a shame .. . it used to be a REALLY fun event. Eagle America, Hartville, Woodhaven, LEIGH, Keller, WoodMaster, RBI, and bunches of others have dropped out over the years .. too bad.

Matt Campbell
01-19-2009, 5:52 PM
I'll be going the first two days and maybe all three. I also live in Chattanooga so the drive won't be too bad.

Randy Carnley
01-19-2009, 6:33 PM
I'll be going Friday. Live a couple of hours away.

Joe Petersen
01-19-2009, 9:16 PM
I met Bob there (Hi!) a year or two ago. I thought it was great because that's where I first learned of these other places like Redmond and Highland. Redmond was right by the house and never knew it. Now it moved to Newnan. (We did get to take one class there first though)

It also opened my eyes to how little I knew about woodworking.

Bob Wingard
01-19-2009, 9:59 PM
Hey Joe .. .. how's it been going for ya' ?? ??

Look me up Friday if you get a chance .. .. I think I have more of what I gave you last year, if I remember correctly.

I can send a private msg with my phone # if you don't have it .. .. ..