PDA

View Full Version : I need good style and rail bits

Rick Huelsbeck
01-19-2009, 8:14 AM
If you had $200 to spend what would you get and why?:confused:

Al Navas
01-19-2009, 8:21 AM
What will you be making? I would probably start my search at Sommerfeld Tools. Why? They have premium-quality bits, with perfectly matched heights.

Rick Huelsbeck
01-19-2009, 8:45 AM
I'm going to make cabinets, raised panel doors

Howard Miller
01-19-2009, 8:49 AM
Check Whiteside Machine Company. Great products and pricing. I buy my Whiteside from Tyler Tools/routerbits 800-222-8404. They have two piece sets for ~103.00.

Rich Engelhardt
01-19-2009, 9:03 AM
Hello,
I'd take a hard look at Eagle America.
They seem to get consistent high marks for their products.

Main reason though is that they are somewhat local - ~ an hour away.
I like the idea of being able to see what I'm buying before I buy it.

Matthew Voss
01-19-2009, 9:46 AM
Amana In-Stile sets are very nice.

Robert Parrish
01-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I use this one: Freud 97-210 3-Piece Cabinet Door Router Bit Set $159.99 from Amazon. you will have $40 left over. It comes with good instructions and video.

James Waters
01-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Look at Inifinty tools. They have cabinet sets (three piece) for about $120 or so and they offer several different profiles. I have bought several bits from them and have been nothing but impressed. Look at their overstock section also. Can usually pick up good deals on bits for 50% off. You can spend your extra $80 and get a few more bits!!!

Sonny Edmonds
01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Another vote for Whiteside bits (http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1232380058_20728+81).
Best bits in my shop. Bosch come in second. I don't bother with the rest.;)

Ken Garlock
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Hello,
I'd take a hard look at Eagle America.
They seem to get consistent high marks for their products.

Main reason though is that they are somewhat local - ~ an hour away.
I like the idea of being able to see what I'm buying before I buy it.

And another vote for Eagle America.:) They have excellent customer service. They advertise that they sell American made bits, and if you look carefully at the bit package you will see that it looks like a Whiteside package with the Eagle America brand name. :cool:

Say Rick, did you get some of that good Maple Syrup when you were in Chardon?:)

scott spencer
01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Look at Inifinty tools. They have cabinet sets (three piece) for about $120 or so and they offer several different profiles. I have bought several bits from them and have been nothing but impressed. Look at their overstock section also. Can usually pick up good deals on bits for 50% off. You can spend your extra $80 and get a few more bits!!!

Infinity seems to frequently offer some of the most impressive bits and blades going...state of the art design and construction, top materials, etc.... I'd definitely look into them. They have a 10% deal (http://www.infinitytools.com/fallsaleevent.asp) going on their website right now.

Whiteside and Freud also offer top shelf sets.....Holbren has an "SMC10" discount on Whiteside.

Robert Parrish
01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Eagle and PriceCutter have merged so you may buy American or Chinese bits.

Dave Bureau
01-19-2009, 12:28 PM
I use Somerfeld. They are matched lengths and save a lot of set up time between bit changes.
Dave

George Bokros
01-19-2009, 12:35 PM
If I were to need to replace mine I would only buy Sommerfeld because of the matched lengths. I have Whiteside and they are good quality but the matched length really does reduce setup. I have the Sommerfeld tongue and grove cabinet set, they are matched length and work awesome with the grommet in the collet.

George

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2009, 2:34 PM
OK, you guys are too serious.

The original post asks for good style for $200, and no one comes back with "good style is more expensive than that"?

Shessh, I'm disappointed.............Regards, Rod.

Myk Rian
01-19-2009, 2:37 PM
Freud, without a doubt. I believe Freud has the highest quality bits.
3 piece set for $160.

Chip Lindley
01-19-2009, 4:35 PM
You fail to specify if you want shaper or router bits. Everybody here seems to just *assume* router. I'm no lawyer, just a woodworker, BUT I don't assume Any Thing! pfftttt...

Joe Chritz
01-19-2009, 5:22 PM
I consider a shaper to use cutters not bits. :D So it isn't an assumption just a pre-conceived notion. Does that make it better?

Any of the ones mentioned will give good service. I go for Freud for quality bits since I have a semi-local supply that I can get in person. I some shaper cutters from MLCS that aren't bad and a Katana set that is very nice. I have raised panel cutters from Freud that are top notch.

Bye once, cry once.

Joe

Peter Quinn
01-19-2009, 7:20 PM
Amana or whiteside, take your pick, both great bits. The amana's stack like little shaper cutters and give you more flexibility for a wider range of door thicknesses than many other sets, and they cut well too. Very well designed. I'm sure most quality manufacturer's sets will give you decent performance so it may come down to flexibility and your needs. If you want the ability to match flat panel plywood thickness and do raised panels with solid wood using the same set then the Amana In-style set might be a good option too. Worth consideration anyway. You can get cheaper but not better.

If its style you seek however, Billy Joel said it best, "All you need are looks and a whole lot of money.....":D

jack duren
01-19-2009, 9:42 PM
Freud, without a doubt. I believe Freud has the highest quality bits.
3 piece set for $160.

I did a comparison between the Freud and Amana on raised panels. The Amana bit outlasted the Freud 2-1....But then again they are half the price;)....Jack

Rich Engelhardt
01-20-2009, 6:07 AM
Hello Ken,

Say Rick, did you get some of that good Maple Syrup when you were in Chardon?
Nope - but I'll make it a point to when I get back up there.;)
Actually, we have some good "tree juice" only a few miles away @ Hale.

:)

Rick Huelsbeck
01-20-2009, 8:02 AM
I did a test run last night and they are top notch. The problem I had with cheaper set was the stile and rail had a gap between the mating point, but then you get what you pay for. Also like to buy things like that locally as I have someone close by who's throat I can get my hands around when they do me wrong :D:D:D

As for Style, why pay for what comes naturally :D

Thank you all for your suggestions, as usual you have been a huge help.

Dick Bringhurst
01-20-2009, 8:49 AM
Paid $165 for an Amana Ogee set (two piece). Made 33 doors without any problem. Bits are still sharp. Dick B.

Charles McCracken
01-20-2009, 9:01 AM
I did a test run last night and they are top notch. The problem I had with cheaper set was the stile and rail had a gap between the mating point, but then you get what you pay for. Also like to buy things like that locally as I have someone close by who's throat I can get my hands around when they do me wrong :D:D:D

As for Style, why pay for what comes naturally :D

Thank you all for your suggestions, as usual you have been a huge help.

Rick,

Where is the gap you mentioned? There should be a slight (0.008") gap between the end of the stub tenon and the back of the groove but the rest of the profile should be well mated and have a very slight friction fit.

Rick Huelsbeck
01-20-2009, 10:20 AM
1/16th inch all the way around, like I said, cheap set from HF

Julian Tracy
01-20-2009, 1:48 PM
Lowes is clearing out some of the Bosch router bits. (SE Mich)
They have the panel 2pc set for 1/2 price, about $49
and the raised panel larger bit for about $44.

Julian

Harry Hagan
01-20-2009, 2:19 PM
About this time last year I purchased several sets of Whiteside bits on sale through Eagle America. Whiteside referred me to them stating that Eagle America brand bits were manufactured by Whiteside and that some specialty bits produced by Whiteside were only available through Eagle America. Eagle America confirmed that a year ago but that may not be true today.

Darius Ferlas
01-20-2009, 2:39 PM
I needed cheap rail and stile and raised panel bits for pine doors that were to be painted. All in all 12 panels, 12" by 24" each.

I bought a C2 carbide, 3 bit set (http://www.elitetools.ca/Commander.aspx?c=1#) for $58.65 Canadian. The raised panel cutter included under cutter. I was surprised with the quality of the fit. Absolutely perfect. That may have been a fluke indeed, but I will be ordering more of the same.

I have since used those bits to make 22 panels in maple (clearcoated). The bits are still pretty sharp and the fit is still very good. I was told by a local service place I can resharpen them up to 2 times.