PDA

View Full Version : Anti-gloat!

Porter Bassett
01-19-2009, 2:12 AM
A couple of years ago, I bought an ancient Craftsman RAS at a garage sale for $30. It is underpowered, uses odd sized blades, and I can't dado with it without taking the guard off (a stupid and scary thought!). So it's mostly been collecting dust for this whole time.

I was going to try to sell it on Craigslist for about what I paid for it, but then I discovered that there's a safety recall (http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com)for that saw. They don't have a retro-fit guard for it, so instead they're going to give me $100 to disable my saw.

Dewey Torres
01-19-2009, 2:28 AM
Dang Porter!!!!

a $70 profit on a POC!!! and you didn't rip the next guy off in the process.

Man I have seen good but that is GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!

Bill Huber
01-19-2009, 9:11 AM
Now I think I would call that a gloat but then there is no pictures so it couldn't be a gloat.

I would say that is a great deal, what more could you ask for.

Porter Bassett
01-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Pictures? You want pictures?

http://mr.porteiro.head.googlepages.com/ras1.jpg

http://mr.porteiro.head.googlepages.com/ras2.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 10:39 AM
3 to 1 gain on your investment. Not bad! I'd take it any day. My 401K could use that type of help.

Porter Bassett
01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Well, today's your lucky day then. Today only, I'll let you sign your 401K over to me, and I'll work my magic on it. ;)

John Keeton
01-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Can you spell WINDFALL????

Lady Luck is one of my favorite friends - I just see her often enough!

Ian Gillis
01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey

If someone else buys it, can they get $100 bucks for shutting it down too?? :D

"Buy this saw for $50 - Double Your Investment!!"

Ian

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Well, today's your lucky day then. Today only, I'll let you sign your 401K over to me, and I'll work my magic on it. ;)

You...Madoff...and the latest guy in Florida that just disappeared.....No thanks. I am doing perfectly horrible by myself and......I can always paper the dining room with the stock...:o

Vince Shriver
01-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Looking at the picture of that saw, I'd say it would make a perfect paper weight. Too big? You haven't seen my desk; it would be just about right. Congrats on the free lunch.

Paul Atkins
01-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a USDA subsidy for not growing a crop. Do you have to send them the tool? There are alot of tools out there that should be disabled before they are sold.

Mike Hess
01-19-2009, 1:06 PM
I think you just send in the motor and receive the check. I've always thought it would be interesting to pick up one of the saws that doesn't qualify for the retrofit guard, disable the saw by sending in the motor, and then using the $100 to have a bracket fabricated so that the saw chassis could mount a router.

Darl Bundren
01-19-2009, 1:25 PM
I think you just send in the motor and receive the check. I've always thought it would be interesting to pick up one of the saws that doesn't qualify for the retrofit guard, disable the saw by sending in the motor, and then using the $100 to have a bracket fabricated so that the saw chassis could mount a router.

This idea intrigues me! I have a RAS that I never use--maybe make it into some sort of overarm router? :confused:

I'd imagine dust collection would be a beast (as if that were any change from the stock RAS).

Porter Bassett
01-19-2009, 1:34 PM
I have to send in both the motor and the carriage.

Stephen Edwards
01-19-2009, 1:51 PM
This idea intrigues me! I have a RAS that I never use--maybe make it into some sort of overarm router? :confused:

I'd imagine dust collection would be a beast (as if that were any change from the stock RAS).

I'm in the process of doing that very thing right now with the same saw. The motor on mine is long gone. I'll keep you posted when I finish the project. I've seen other overarm routers that people have built from old RAS chassis that worked very well.

Fred Hargis
01-19-2009, 2:10 PM
I just spotted an old Craftsman on Craigs list for $75. I sent the guy an e-mail about the possibility of getting $100 from Emerson, and they supply the shipping. I don't know what he did, but the listing was gone that day. He send a note back thanking me for the info. My old saw didn't have a retro fit available either, so I opted for the $100.

Porter Bassett
01-19-2009, 2:26 PM
What would be the purpose of an over-arm router?

Dave Verstraete
01-19-2009, 2:50 PM
Porter
I think a picture of the check is required for a gloat!!LOL What a great deal!

Bill White
01-19-2009, 3:45 PM
A couple of years ago, I bought an ancient Craftsman RAS at a garage sale for $30. It is underpowered, uses odd sized blades, and I can't dado with it without taking the guard off (a stupid and scary thought!). So it's mostly been collecting dust for this whole time.

I was going to try to sell it on Craigslist for about what I paid for it, but then I discovered that there's a http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/[/b]] safety recall (http://[B) for that saw. They don't have a retro-fit guard for it, so instead they're going to give me $100 to disable my saw.

Doncha have to send 'em the motor mount?
Bill

Stephen Edwards
01-19-2009, 4:00 PM
What would be the purpose of an over-arm router?

They're very handy for certain tasks, especially doing pattern work. They're even more handy and versatile if they have a plunge mechanism. For a great explanation of the two different types of "pin" routers and the advantage of an overarm router read David DeCristoforo's posts in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99839

Best Wishes,

Porter Bassett
01-19-2009, 4:48 PM
Doncha have to send 'em the motor mount?
Bill
Yup. That's what I prove to them that I've disabled my saw.

jim sauterer
01-19-2009, 4:53 PM
i bought my 9 inch brand new in 1972 for 99.00 dollars.i just packed mine up to get my hundred back.better than the stock market.

Gary Breckenridge
01-19-2009, 5:10 PM
:)I'm glad that the deal came out for you. But I have to ask why anybody would want to sell a dangerous ill designed piece of equipment. Some things are best destroyed. :)

Wade Lippman
01-19-2009, 5:48 PM
I bought one for $50 an auction, decided I didn't have room for it, and sold them the motor for $100.
Not worth the trouble, but better than being stuck with one I didn't have room for and more than it would have brought on CL.
Not as much fun as MS Cashback, but a great program still.

Jason White
01-19-2009, 5:52 PM
By disable, do you mean "sell" it?
;)

I was going to try to sell it on Craigslist for about what I paid for it, but then I discovered that there's a http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/[/B]] safety recall ([B) for that saw. They don't have a retro-fit guard for it, so instead they're going to give me $100 to disable my saw.

Jason White
01-19-2009, 5:55 PM
Do they cover the shipping?

I have to send in both the motor and the carriage.

Robert Parrish
01-19-2009, 5:57 PM
You did better than I did. I had one of those Ryobi radial arm saws that the motors would fall off of a few years ago. I paid $275 for it and all I got was $50 back after sending in the motor. I liked that saw!!

John McCall
01-19-2009, 8:50 PM
Porter,

I tried your link and could not get the sight to open. I also have a Craftsman RAS of ancient vintage and would like to share in the largess of those looking to avoid lawsuits. Could you check it again to be sure is is listed correctly.

John

Porter Bassett
01-19-2009, 9:23 PM
Do they cover the shipping?Yes. They're sending me a box with pre-paid shipping and instructions on how to remove the carriage.

I tried your link and could not get the sight to open. I also have a Craftsman RAS of ancient vintage and would like to share in the largess of those looking to avoid lawsuits. Could you check it again to be sure is is listed correctly. The link is now fixed. Sorry about that.