PDA

View Full Version : Small Backsaw Back using Special Tools :)

Alan DuBoff
01-19-2009, 1:34 AM
I thought I would post this back I had slotted a while back, it's a mere 1/8" thick, and 1/4" wide. This is the smallest back I have slotted, it's slotted for a .020" blade.

The second pic shows a few different backs, the small one is pictured there, as-is a 1/4" thick and 5/16" wide. Fairly stout, and a nice back, IMO. The top one is a 3/4" wide, 3/16" thick back, a fairly common size used by various makers.

Robert Rozaieski
01-19-2009, 8:39 AM
:D! That is a small back Alan. What size saw is it used on? I don't think I've ever seen a back that small.

Alan DuBoff
01-19-2009, 2:33 PM
:D! That is a small back Alan. What size saw is it used on? I don't think I've ever seen a back that small.
So far it is not used on any saw! ;)

I'm not sure what I will do with it, if anything. The middle blade and back is quite a bit stronger, and much better.

LN sells some saws with smaller backs, but nothing this small.

I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but it's cute.

The top plate/back was a .018" plate that I was going to use for a saw I entered in the WoodCentral Toolmaking contest, but at the last minute decided I wanted to use .020" for it, so I still have the back/plate in .018".

I will make a match for the other saw, in crosscut.

Bruce Page
01-19-2009, 2:43 PM
Alan, as a former machinist, I know how I'd cut the slot but I'm interested on how you do it.

John Keeton
01-19-2009, 2:44 PM
It's a "baby back rib" - can't you tell! I just had to throw that in. Both of these threads are interesting, and you guys do some neat work. Obviously, there is a lot that goes into a saw that the rest of us take for granted!

Alan DuBoff
01-19-2009, 3:17 PM
Alan, as a former machinist, I know how I'd cut the slot but I'm interested on how you do it.
No secrets, I have posted some pics of it previously (http://www.softorchestra.com/traditional-toolworks/saws/making-saws/). You might think about doing it with a vertical mill, using a slitting saw arbor, but the horizontal mill is the ticket for this type of work. How would you do it?

John, I like baby backs! See attached...

Here's a pic attached, of the slotting also Bruce.

Alan DuBoff
01-19-2009, 5:01 PM
What do you guys think about this type of saw?

Just a mock-up of course...;)

As it happens, this back is 1/4" wide and the handle was mortised for a 1/4" wide back.

Alan DuBoff
01-19-2009, 5:10 PM
Or how about these saw? :eek:

Bruce Page
01-19-2009, 6:36 PM
Thanks Alan. I had forgotten that you had that horizontal mill. I have a Bridgeport right angle head attachment so I could do it the same way but I’d be inclined to clamp the brass strip directly on the table edge and cut it with a vertical arbor & slitting saw….provided that the brass piece is big enough to clamp.

Jim Becker
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Or how about these saw?

Now those! It will be interesting to see Rob Lee's versions... LOL :D

Alan DuBoff
01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Now those! It will be interesting to see Rob Lee's versions... LOL :D
Is Rob Lee planning to go to art school??? Those are my son's. ;)

The one on the left is one of his self portraits, and the saw on the right is well, I guess it's a saw...:rolleyes: 8 points on each side of the blade. I hated to see him ruin perfectly good handles, but it's for his portfolio.

Alan DuBoff
01-20-2009, 2:13 AM
No need in starting a new thread, these were also done with special tools! ;)

Forgot to stamp the lower one with my touchmark, but will do that after I assemble the blade/back together with epoxy.

mike holden
01-20-2009, 9:00 AM
Alan,
I would have your son, or you, convert the circular saw one to a shop clock.
The three hands for hours, minutes, seconds.
That would be a really cool piece.
Mike

Alan DuBoff
01-20-2009, 1:44 PM
Alan,
I would have your son, or you, convert the circular saw one to a shop clock.
The three hands for hours, minutes, seconds.
That would be a really cool piece.
Mike
Ha! That's exactly what I told him. I suggested he do the hands in wood and we could make a clock out of it.

I am not sure I can get it for my shop, but would love to and already trying. He might hang it in his room. He had some interesting pieces in his portfolio, but the saws were an odd twist...:rolleyes:

Alan DuBoff
03-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Or how about these saw? :eek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107458&d=1232402754

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107459&d=1232402911

As of today I consider my sawmaking to be a huge success.

My son was accepted into UCLA today. He was one of 30 kids to be accepted to their Design Art program.

His art teacher praised these saws as being the most exceptional pieces to be worked on during the art program this year!

For any of you that have had kids submit applications to the most demanding universities can relate to how proud I am of my son for all of his hard work. This is truly a milestone in his life, and now he can go create a career in design art for himself. :)

His birthday is in 2 days, he'll be 18 this year. What a birthday present! ;)

James G. Jones
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Congratulations. I know how proud you must be to see your son taking this huge leap forward in his career development. Best of luck to you and your son.

James

Tony Zaffuto
03-19-2009, 1:09 PM
Way nice Alan! As payback to you, you can have him design some sort of nib-like adornment to place on your saws to give guys 100 years from now a discussion point!

T.Z.

Alan DuBoff
03-19-2009, 3:54 PM
James, Tony,

He's pretty excited, only 8 percent of 55,000 applicants were accepted, so he feels pretty honored at the moment.

Way nice Alan! As payback to you, you can have him design some sort of nib-like adornment to place on your saws to give guys 100 years from now a discussion point!
That's not a bad idea, put a new twist on the subject so to speak! ;)

How about a nib that has measuring on one side, to give the illusion that it *is* used for something...:rolleyes:

Tony Zaffuto
03-19-2009, 5:40 PM
Maybe something to get some of the current know-it-alls plus the future know-it-alls to get their shorts in a knot. Maybe some sort of faux tensioning device on a bi-metallic back? Maybe in inlaid pistol type site on the saw handle? OK, that's enough, shop is calling!

T.Z.